PDA

View Full Version : Steve "Why the hell aren't you getting more playing time" Johnson

ddaryl
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
3 catches for a 23 yard per catch average so far.... :jig:

I fail to see why this guy wasn't given many many more 1st team opportunities... :refuse:

I would have had him ahead of Parrish this preseason, or at least letting the 2 fight it out withth e1st team

Did Steve even get 1st team opportunities this preseason ???????????? mind boggling if he didn't

Nighthawk
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
It's a fairly simple answer...Dickey Jauron. Terrible HC and terrible decisions!

Dr. Pepper
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
TO/Lee > Stevie J > Reed > Roscoe > Hardy

X-Era
09-03-2009, 07:50 PM

I fail to see why this guy wasn't given many many more 1st team opportunities... :refuse:

I would have had him ahead of Parrish this preseason, or at least letting the 2 fight it out withth e1st team

Did Steve even get 1st team opportunities this preseason ???????????? mind boggling if he didn't

:clap:

ServoBillieves
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Stevie should get some time with Josh in the slot... I hope Hardy gets on the PUP/IR list. May sound harsh, but Stevie J has proved he's worthy of a good shot.

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Steve Johnson at best is this teams 4th best WR.

That's why he didn't get time with the first team.

Nighthawk
09-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Wrong again...man, you are kidding, right?!?!

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Wrong again...man, you are kidding, right?!?!

Oh he's better than Owens, Reed or Evans?

Alright!

Nighthawk
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh he's better than Owens, Reed or Evans?

Alright!

In my opinion, I think, given more playing time, he'd definitely be more productive then Reed.

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
In my opinion, I think, given more playing time, he'd definitely be more productive then Reed.

Over time, I won't disagree with that, it is very possible that he'll be more productive than Reed.

Right now, he's not.

Until he proves that he's better than Reed, he's the teams 4th best WR. The only way to prove it is on the field when the games count.

Lighting up 2nd and 3rd string defenses doesn't really impress me much.

Nighthawk
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Over time, I won't disagree with that, it is very possible that he'll be more productive than Reed.

Right now, he's not.

Until he proves that he's better than Reed, he's the teams 4th best WR. The only way to prove it is on the field when the games count.

To me, he has proven himself in the short time he has been given. He found the endzone twice last year in very limited time...Reed scored once in more extended action.

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 09:20 PM
To me, he has proven himself in the short time he has been given. He found the endzone twice last year in very limited time...Reed scored once in more extended action.

Reed is a between the sticks possession receiver who knows how and isn't afraid to block.

People on this site undervalue him tremendously.

None of our other receivers do everything that Reed does.

Does this mean I think Reed is great? No. But he is what he is and does add value to the team.

Nighthawk
09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Reed is a between the sticks possession receiver who knows how and isn't afraid to block.

Does this mean I think Reed is great? No. But he is what he is and does add value to the team.

Ehh, I'd be happy to see Johnson start over him and see what he brings to the offense. I know what Reed brings and that isn't much. Good blocker, yes...but nothing more then that.

BillsWin
09-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Johnson was in and out with injury but did VERY well with the time given him. Dick is just pulling a Dick by not letting him in.

ServoBillieves
09-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Reed reminds me of a poor-mans Hines Ward. Blocks, is gritty, can catch over the middle and get laid out with a smile. With Lee and T.O. getting major coverage, Josh and 'sco should be getting great reads. I like Stevie, probably my favorite receiver on the team in the sole fact he deserves to be given a chance, I think he can pull off a #2 role down the road.

Lexwhat
09-03-2009, 09:41 PM

I don't disagree with you, but if you watch the highlights, 2 of the catches were eye-popping. It's unlikely that any defender (starter or backup) would have prevented Johnson from making those catches.

ddaryl
09-03-2009, 10:16 PM

and how do we know that for sure WHEN THE COACH WON'T EVEN GIVE HIM TIME PRESEASON TIME WITH THE STARTERS.

Steve deserved some quality time with the 1st srtingers this preseason. Instead Parrish got the reps. They could've worked Steve in a heluva a lot more

BillsWin
09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
It should be: Lee Owens Reed and Johnson with Hardy coming in to compete with Johnson when hes healthy.

Why is everyone in love with Parrish as a receiver? He's shown NOTHING. Hell of a punt returner, but an average joe as a WR.

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 10:20 PM
and how do we know that for sure WHEN THE COACH WON'T EVEN GIVE HIM TIME PRESEASON TIME WITH THE STARTERS.

Steve deserved some quality time with the 1st srtingers this preseason. Instead Parrish got the reps. They could've worked Steve in a heluva a lot more

It was obvious they were trying to audition Parrish for trade purposes.

Not that it mattered anyways, when did Trent throw to WRs? :rofl:

yordad
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Johnson will take Reeds slot job sooner then later. But, the way he muscles for the long balls, I think he is the future #2.

He received a pass on the goal line too. It was a pretty bad pass and he made a stellar effort to keep it from being an Int. I think it was him fighting against the last int too. Both bad passes.

Rosco on the other hand. Pff. He was streaking down the left sideline one play and the ball was underthrown some. He just keep right on running. His guy intercepted it, fell down, then got back up and got a nice return out of it. Roscoe just keep running like another 30 yards down feild without even turning back. If he wasn't such a good returner I would have cut him right then (as if I had say).

yordad
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
It was obvious they were trying to audition Parrish for trade purposes.

Not that it mattered anyways, when did Trent throw to WRs? :rofl:Scoe got looks tonight, and did nothing. I swear I would never throw to him.

Mr. Pink
09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Scoe got looks tonight, and did nothing. I swear I would never throw to him.

I've never liked Roscoe as a WR. I was one of the people on the board saying the team shouldn't even bother resigning him a couple years back.

Good returners in this league are a dime a dozen.

If Hardy wasn't hurt, I'd say cut him now.

Obviously, he's not tradeable.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 07:39 AM

He was injured. Not sure why everyone is so in love with the guy anyways. He is not better than TO, Evans or Reed, a forth WR at best and I honestly think Roscoe is better too.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I've never liked Roscoe as a WR. I was one of the people on the board saying the team shouldn't even bother resigning him a couple years back.

Good returners in this league are a dime a dozen.

If Hardy wasn't hurt, I'd say cut him now.

Obviously, he's not tradeable.
With that being said Roscoe has had some decent plays this preseason.

Mr. Pink
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
With that being said Roscoe has had some decent plays this preseason.

Has he?!?

I only remember him fumbling.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Right now, he's not.

Johnson is wayyy more dynamic than Reed. He is tough over the middle, he has that knack for finding the soft spot in the zone like Reed, yet he is big enough and fast enough to be a threat downfield, and he has playmaking ability in the endzone as well as jumping for high balls.

Johnson should be our slot guy ASAP. Reed is limited by his abilities.

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2009, 08:20 AM
The only place Johnson has an advantage over Reed is the red zone. Other than that, Reed is clearly better.

He runs better routes, is a better blocker and has an uncanny ability to get open 5 yards downfield on 3rd and 4.

Right now, Johnson is in the right spot as the # 4 WR.

yordad
09-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Right now, he's not.

Lighting up 2nd and 3rd string defenses doesn't really impress me much.So, it is impossible to prove in practice? I think not.

Philagape
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
I'd keep Reed in the slot, but Johnson should be first to start in case of an injury.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 08:41 AM
The only place Johnson has an advantage over Reed is the red zone. Other than that, Reed is clearly better.

He runs better routes, is a better blocker and has an uncanny ability to get open 5 yards downfield on 3rd and 4.

Right now, Johnson is in the right spot as the # 4 WR.
The endzone is not the only thing. Johnson is CLEARLY a big play threat. Reed, is not.

Hemlepp53
09-04-2009, 08:44 AM

One word answer.... DICK & Company.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Has he?!?

I only remember him fumbling.
Yeah some short passes that would have been losses that were turned into 8 or 9 yard gains. All I am saying is that Johnson doesn't blow me a way.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
The endzone is not the only thing. Johnson is CLEARLY a big play threat. Reed, is not.
I have never seen Johnson catch a pass over 15 yards. Where has he shown he is a big play threat?

Steve Johnson is the guy people heard a good blurb about and now are in love with him regardless.

Just like Levitre is a bust because he was blown up on one of his first ever NFL plays.

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2009, 08:58 AM

Based on what?

How many big plays has Johnson made?

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Based on what?

How many big plays has Johnson made?
Exactly what I am saying.

Beastie Bills
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
TO > Lee > Stevie J > Reed > Roscoe > Hardy

I fixed it for you....

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I have never seen Johnson catch a pass over 15 yards. Where has he shown he is a big play threat?

Steve Johnson is the guy people heard a good blurb about and now are in love with him regardless.

Just like Levitre is a bust because he was blown up on one of his first ever NFL plays.
Did you watch the game yesterday?

Tatonka
09-04-2009, 09:22 AM

i disagree completely. i had no expectations of johnson at all.. my opinion has nothing to do with a blurb.. he made the roster last year as a 7th round pick.. he played well when given the chance..

last season, i didnt see him drop anything that went to him. he had 10 catches for 110 yards and 2 tds..

in my opinion, if given the chance, he could sustain that kind of production, because from what i can see in preseason and in games last year.. he fights for the ball. he has the speed. he gets open but is strong enough to muscle guys when coverage is tight. he uses his body very well. and his hands are strong.

i like reed.. but reed is an average guy.. he is not wes welker.. never will be.. if you just want a good blocker.. put friggen derek fine out there as a slot receiver.

i think johnson offers a ton of potential. all he needs is a chance.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I guess I'm not seeing where Johnson is a big play threat. He's more of a possession receiver, which is what we need opposite Evans. I'm fine with 10-15 yard plays every time as long as he makes the catch.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I guess I'm not seeing where Johnson is a big play threat. He's more of a possession receiver, which is what we need opposite Evans. I'm fine with 10-15 yard plays every time as long as he makes the catch.
Did he not catch 2 deep balls yesterday?

I never seen Reed do anything like that. And it wasn't just a simple over the shoulder grab.

He jumped high, turned his body, showed GREAT body control, and caught the ball at its highest point over the CB. That is a BIG PLAY.

That is more than just a possession receiver.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Did he not catch 2 deep balls yesterday?

I never seen Reed do anything like that. And it wasn't just a simple over the shoulder grab.

He jumped high, turned his body, showed GREAT body control, and caught the ball at its highest point over the CB. That is a BIG PLAY.

That is more than just a possession receiver.

Haha, I actually didn't see those catches although I did see he had good stats.

I think his body control, to me, is the main reason why he's a good possession receiver. I'm not saying he can't go for deep balls, but I think he could be our best middle-of-the-field weapon in the coming years. He knows better than Hardy how to use his body to shield the ball from the defender.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Haha, I actually didn't see those catches although I did see he had good stats.

I think his body control, to me, is the main reason why he's a good possession receiver. I'm not saying he can't go for deep balls, but I think he could be our best middle-of-the-field weapon in the coming years. He knows better than Hardy how to use his body to shield the ball from the defender.
Absolutely, he is very strong over the middle. But what he has that Reed doesn't is the "go get it" ability which makes him dangerous deep and in the red zone.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Did you watch the game yesterday?
Yep well I did until they put in the fifth stringers then I left Johnson had a catch but nothing special. I don't hate the guy not sure why everyone loves him

psubills62
09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Absolutely, he is very strong over the middle. But what he has that Reed doesn't is the "go get it" ability which makes him dangerous deep and in the red zone.

That's fine with me. I didn't mean to label him simply a possession receiver, I just think that's more where his gifts lean towards. Heck, Kevin Walter is a fairly underrated possession receiver and he does quite a bit for Houston, including some deeper passes.

I'd love to see Steve Johnson do it all, but I really want a guy who can be that safety blanket for Edwards. Someone who gets the tough yards across the middle (without having to stand in a hole in the zone like Reed). I think at this point, Johnson fits that mold better than anyone on the team (other than T.O.).