X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Never had lower expectations

I'm 42 and have been watching the Bills since OJ has been running the ball. I don't remember ever having lower expectations for a team. I don't really care much at all that they are playing. Don't get me wrong, I will still watch them every game that I can on TV, I will still cheer for them and still scream at them when they do something stupid (which if foresee happening a lot), but I don't really care much. In some twisted ways, I WANT them to door poorly. I want them to get rid of Jauron and nothing less than a total collapse will get rid of him. He inspires nothing of a winning attitude in me, hopefully he does for the players. Edwards at first looked like something of a diamond in the rough when he first came onto the scene, now he looks less poised than Kelly Holcomb and throws the ball as far.

On the plus side, I think the Bills do have some good players on the team that will be able to really show something. Hopefully a new coach will see the players that have something to build from when he comes in. On defense right now, the only ones I see worth keeping are Stroud, Maybin (because he's a rookie), Pozluzny and McGee. On offense I see Wood, Evans and Jackson. I like Lynch, but having "doom" over his head is a little too much for me.

Good luck to the Bills and God bless the fans who will have to endure what I feel will be a woeful season. He's looking at a first overall selection but not repeating what Detroit did last year!
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Never had lower expectations

I feel the same way about never having had lower expectations, and I'm considerably older than you. I've been a fan since 1960, and can never remember being quite this down on the team.

I do think, however, that we have a few more quality players than you name, and a number of young guys who could develop into good players. We need a true football man as GM, and a proven Head Coach to bring us back.

But for this season, I'm just going to enjoy any wins we get.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      I feel the same way about never having had lower expectations, and I'm considerably older than you. I've been a fan since 1960, and can never remember being quite this down on the team.

I do think, however, that we have a few more quality players than you name, and a number of young guys who could develop into good players. We need a true football man as GM, and a proven Head Coach to bring us back.

But for this season, I'm just going to enjoy any wins we get.
      Well, those are the players that I think have actually done some decent things with this coaching staff or have shown things in the past except for maybe Pozluzny. I think we might have more quality players but they can't show much with these coaches.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

I don't want to agree with either of you but even my patience is being tested this preseason. I want to be "optimistic" and say eight wins...I truly don't know if they will win four.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          I don't want to agree with either of you but even my patience is being tested this preseason. I want to be "optimistic" and say eight wins...I truly don't know if they will win four.
          I don't WANT to agree either, but it is what it is.

But, basically you just said, "I don't want to agree with you, but I do.".

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

The second half of last season, and the 5 games of this preseason, offer very little to be optimistic about. Of course, with TO in the lineup, the O-Line continuing to develop, and Maybin giving us some semblance of a pass rush, we could be better than we've looked the last few games.

But unless Jauron is a true genius who has managed to keep our talent totally hidden, this looks like a long season.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                • Jul 2002

After this preseason I am going into this season with very low expectations. It's not only that we couldn't score touchdowns or move the ball...the team was getting beat physically and wasn't executing. Trent looked lost.

Unless the Bills are able to flip a switch and suddenly start playing like an NFL team (which is unlikely), it's going to be a LOOOOOONG season, especially since Game 1 is on MNF at NE.

I've been a Bills fan since the earlly '60s, and have lived through the good and the bad. I'll watch every game and cheer (probably not much) and scream at the team (probably a lot). I'm just expecting a lot more bad than good.

Comment

• cocamide
                  • Oct 2006

I've been optimistic about our team for each of the last 9 years. At least we can't be dissappointed if we don't have any expectations.

Comment

• elltrain22
                    • Sep 2003

the only expectation I have is to get the worst record in the NFL. Then we can fire the dick, fire Modrak & Brandon, and draft a real franchise qb (Bradford or McCoy). Other than that I am totally on the same page w/ you. This is gonna be a long year.
                    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• gil
                      • Mar 2005

Yeah, it's amazing - I was such an optimist for so long, but I think that collapse after the great start last year really just sucked the life out of me.

I will watch every game, but I sure don't expect much - I just don't see them surprising anyone this year.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

I agree with a lot of posts in this thread. We have a QB that seems to be low on confidence based on his play at the end of last season so what does the coach do? Does not spend anytime to gameplan against the Packers and Steelers setting him for further failure and lowering his confidence even more.

The actions by this ownership, front office and coaching staff is an embarrassment to the fans of the Bills and the NFL. Dick must go....

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by don137
                          I agree with a lot of posts in this thread. We have a QB that seems to be low on confidence based on his play at the end of last season so what does the coach do? Does not spend anytime to gameplan against the Packers and Steelers setting him for further failure and lowering his confidence even more.

The actions by this ownership, front office and coaching staff is an embarrassment to the fans of the Bills and the NFL. Dick must go....
                          I agree totally, Don. Would it really have hurt anything to gameplan a little to give Trent a chance?

I'm calling the Brady/Edwards matchup "Top Gun vs. Pop Gun."

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

My god how could you have lower expectations then during the Billy Jo Hobert, Alex Van Pelt days. We had NO talent on those teams.

I really think we need to see what happens in the regular season. I have a feeling we will be surprised.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                              • Jul 2002

I hope you're right Thurm.

Comment

Working...
                              X