PDA

View Full Version : Never had lower expectations

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm 42 and have been watching the Bills since OJ has been running the ball. I don't remember ever having lower expectations for a team. I don't really care much at all that they are playing. Don't get me wrong, I will still watch them every game that I can on TV, I will still cheer for them and still scream at them when they do something stupid (which if foresee happening a lot), but I don't really care much. In some twisted ways, I WANT them to door poorly. I want them to get rid of Jauron and nothing less than a total collapse will get rid of him. He inspires nothing of a winning attitude in me, hopefully he does for the players. Edwards at first looked like something of a diamond in the rough when he first came onto the scene, now he looks less poised than Kelly Holcomb and throws the ball as far.

On the plus side, I think the Bills do have some good players on the team that will be able to really show something. Hopefully a new coach will see the players that have something to build from when he comes in. On defense right now, the only ones I see worth keeping are Stroud, Maybin (because he's a rookie), Pozluzny and McGee. On offense I see Wood, Evans and Jackson. I like Lynch, but having "doom" over his head is a little too much for me.

Good luck to the Bills and God bless the fans who will have to endure what I feel will be a woeful season. He's looking at a first overall selection but not repeating what Detroit did last year!

Jan Reimers
09-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I feel the same way about never having had lower expectations, and I'm considerably older than you. I've been a fan since 1960, and can never remember being quite this down on the team.

I do think, however, that we have a few more quality players than you name, and a number of young guys who could develop into good players. We need a true football man as GM, and a proven Head Coach to bring us back.

But for this season, I'm just going to enjoy any wins we get.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 06:52 AM
I feel the same way about never having had lower expectations, and I'm considerably older than you. I've been a fan since 1960, and can never remember being quite this down on the team.

I do think, however, that we have a few more quality players than you name, and a number of young guys who could develop into good players. We need a true football man as GM, and a proven Head Coach to bring us back.

But for this season, I'm just going to enjoy any wins we get.

Well, those are the players that I think have actually done some decent things with this coaching staff or have shown things in the past except for maybe Pozluzny. I think we might have more quality players but they can't show much with these coaches.

Ebenezer
09-04-2009, 06:53 AM
I don't want to agree with either of you but even my patience is being tested this preseason. I want to be "optimistic" and say eight wins...I truly don't know if they will win four.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I don't want to agree with either of you but even my patience is being tested this preseason. I want to be "optimistic" and say eight wins...I truly don't know if they will win four.

I don't WANT to agree either, but it is what it is.

But, basically you just said, "I don't want to agree with you, but I do.".

Meathead
09-04-2009, 07:17 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyhTJXFBPyg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyhTJXFBPyg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jan Reimers
09-04-2009, 07:21 AM
The second half of last season, and the 5 games of this preseason, offer very little to be optimistic about. Of course, with TO in the lineup, the O-Line continuing to develop, and Maybin giving us some semblance of a pass rush, we could be better than we've looked the last few games.

But unless Jauron is a true genius who has managed to keep our talent totally hidden, this looks like a long season.

Mad Bomber
09-04-2009, 07:22 AM
After this preseason I am going into this season with very low expectations. It's not only that we couldn't score touchdowns or move the ball...the team was getting beat physically and wasn't executing. Trent looked lost.

Unless the Bills are able to flip a switch and suddenly start playing like an NFL team (which is unlikely), it's going to be a LOOOOOONG season, especially since Game 1 is on MNF at NE.

I've been a Bills fan since the earlly '60s, and have lived through the good and the bad. I'll watch every game and cheer (probably not much) and scream at the team (probably a lot). I'm just expecting a lot more bad than good.

cocamide
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I've been optimistic about our team for each of the last 9 years. At least we can't be dissappointed if we don't have any expectations.

elltrain22
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
the only expectation I have is to get the worst record in the NFL. Then we can fire the dick, fire Modrak & Brandon, and draft a real franchise qb (Bradford or McCoy). Other than that I am totally on the same page w/ you. This is gonna be a long year.

gil
09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah, it's amazing - I was such an optimist for so long, but I think that collapse after the great start last year really just sucked the life out of me.

I will watch every game, but I sure don't expect much - I just don't see them surprising anyone this year.

don137
09-04-2009, 07:32 AM
I agree with a lot of posts in this thread. We have a QB that seems to be low on confidence based on his play at the end of last season so what does the coach do? Does not spend anytime to gameplan against the Packers and Steelers setting him for further failure and lowering his confidence even more.

The actions by this ownership, front office and coaching staff is an embarrassment to the fans of the Bills and the NFL. Dick must go....

Jan Reimers
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I agree with a lot of posts in this thread. We have a QB that seems to be low on confidence based on his play at the end of last season so what does the coach do? Does not spend anytime to gameplan against the Packers and Steelers setting him for further failure and lowering his confidence even more.

The actions by this ownership, front office and coaching staff is an embarrassment to the fans of the Bills and the NFL. Dick must go....
I agree totally, Don. Would it really have hurt anything to gameplan a little to give Trent a chance?

I'm calling the Brady/Edwards matchup "Top Gun vs. Pop Gun."

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
My god how could you have lower expectations then during the Billy Jo Hobert, Alex Van Pelt days. We had NO talent on those teams.

I really think we need to see what happens in the regular season. I have a feeling we will be surprised.

Mad Bomber
09-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I hope you're right Thurm.

Meathead
09-04-2009, 07:50 AM
im seeing six happy weekends but if the ol des and lbs do better than expected it wouldnt be too hard to turn that into nine or ten

still some hope, not the bleakest offseason i can remember

Jan Reimers
09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I think we would all feel better if Trent had shown anything in preseason. It just looks like he is not progressing. A very pedestrian QB, coupled with some pretty average talent elsewhere, gives me very little to be excited about.

Billz_fan
09-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm 42 and have been watching the Bills since OJ has been running the ball. I don't remember ever having lower expectations for a team. I don't really care much at all that they are playing. Don't get me wrong, I will still watch them every game that I can on TV, I will still cheer for them and still scream at them when they do something stupid (which if foresee happening a lot), but I don't really care much. In some twisted ways, I WANT them to door poorly. I want them to get rid of Jauron and nothing less than a total collapse will get rid of him. He inspires nothing of a winning attitude in me, hopefully he does for the players. Edwards at first looked like something of a diamond in the rough when he first came onto the scene, now he looks less poised than Kelly Holcomb and throws the ball as far.

On the plus side, I think the Bills do have some good players on the team that will be able to really show something. Hopefully a new coach will see the players that have something to build from when he comes in. On defense right now, the only ones I see worth keeping are Stroud, Maybin (because he's a rookie), Pozluzny and McGee. On offense I see Wood, Evans and Jackson. I like Lynch, but having "doom" over his head is a little too much for me.

Good luck to the Bills and God bless the fans who will have to endure what I feel will be a woeful season. He's looking at a first overall selection but not repeating what Detroit did last year!

Wow, this is exactly how I am. Im 50. Although I think I had lower expections when Ralph Hired Kay Stephenson as coach and later replaced him with Hank Bullough. Couple 2-14 seasons there. lol

Funny thing is, you could sit anywhere you wanted in that stadium because attendance was terrible. You know what though, the team din't move because the fans stayed home. They did something about it. They fixed the mess.

Im not saying everything would get better if everyone stayed home. These are different times. It does make one think though. Why fix a product when it is profitable ?

Hemlepp53
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Unlike the majority of the Zoners I expect BIG THINGS every season. I have seen so much change in a weeks time as a life long fan of football and ex-head coach with a teams ability to win and turn a team around. I have a feeling that the addition of Maybin and his ability to get to the QB. Not expecting a 16-0 season or a 12-4 like i originally predicted prior to preseason but i do expect a lot more wins than i am reading predicted on the Zone.

I agree Dick and Co. needs to pack it up and roll out of town. Drag the FO out with them and get a quality FOOTBALL orginiazation in place. I think the missing peices on the team are not on the field but on the sideline and sitting at a desk.

Thats just IMO

psubills62
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM

I agree in general. My hopes are still high, but my expectations are low.

However, I think I see more promise in our players than you do. Chris Ellis and Copeland Bryan have shown potential this preseason. I'd like to at least see what they could do this year in the regular season. You don't think McKelvin is worth keeping? What about Reggie Corner? Lankster got beat yesterday, but he got beat by Calvin Johnson. Other than a few plays, he's done well. Nic Harris has also shown potential.

At this point, I think all of our rookies, until they prove otherwise, are worth keeping. Steve Johnson is worth keeping (not because of what he's done, but because of what he could become), as is Walker (as an RT) and Hangartner. You don't want to keep Shawn Nelson?

Hemlepp53
09-04-2009, 08:41 AM
I like Lynch, but having "doom" over his head is a little too much for me.

I love Lynch's style of play and his aggressive nature when the ball is in his hands. I agree he has made some STUPID calls off the field but he is young. One ahs to assume he has learned his lesson with this last incident. The Comish will have his head if he has one more issue off the field and Lynch is aware of it. I think he will be a good member of the team and turn the off the field BS off.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow, this is exactly how I am. Im 50. Although I think I had lower expections when Ralph Hired Kay Stephenson as coach and later replaced him with Hank Bullough. Couple 2-14 seasons there. lol

Funny thing is, you could sit anywhere you wanted in that stadium because attendance was terrible. You know what though, the team din't move because the fans stayed home. They did something about it. They fixed the mess.

Im not saying everything would get better if everyone stayed home. These are different times. It does make one think though. Why fix a product when it is profitable ?

I was a teenager to 20 year old at that time. You have much higher expectations when you are younger. I think age has a little to do with my feelings.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I love Lynch's style of play and his aggressive nature when the ball is in his hands. I agree he has made some STUPID calls off the field but he is young. One ahs to assume he has learned his lesson with this last incident. The Comish will have his head if he has one more issue off the field and Lynch is aware of it. I think he will be a good member of the team and turn the off the field BS off.

I also LOVE how Lynch runs the ball and his style just as I used to love how Travis Henry ran. Same reason why I hated McGahee.

I guess I am just leary of the "doom". But I guess I would be lying if I said I had the same feelings about Bruce Smith when he had the "doom" over his head. So, maybe I would add Lynch to the list of players who I think are very good who should be kept.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 08:52 AM

I have fun at the games regardless. I would NEVER not go to a Bills game.

Hemlepp53
09-04-2009, 08:52 AM
I also LOVE how Lynch runs the ball and his style just as I used to love how Travis Henry ran. Same reason why I hated McGahee.

Boy oh Boy did the team ever **** on Travis Henry. I really liked the guy. He showed heart like no one else on that team when he played the season on a broken leg. He never lost the starting spot in my eyes to Willis... Just disappointed still about how Travis was done by the Bills and now look where he is.. what a waste of talent... He really ****ed up his life...

Ickybaluky
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm just glad to finally find out what this secret plan the Bills have I keep hearing about. The one they are putting in during their closed pratices after purposely playing "vanilla" and doing sucky during pre-season.

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
about this season, we are left either lowering our expectation or we are suppose to believe the Jauron is Kaizer soze and going to go from a limby gimp to a stud in one city block.

To be optimistic about this team, we are suppose to believe that he's gameplanned for a team that has historically beat him soundly almost every matchup in such secrecy that when they go in this week for practice they are all going to be in sync with each other.

That's a lot of koolaid to drink. But if the bills come out with some bizarre formation and throw long on the first play, then jauron is the kaizer and i won't question it. but being a fairly intelligent man, i expect a run to the left side for 2, a 3 yard pass and an incompletion followed by Jauron claps for the first offense. The first defense i expect a 9 yard drive ending in a fieldgoal that also ends with jauron clapping.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm just glad to finally find out what this secret plan the Bills have I keep hearing about. The one they are putting in during their closed pratices after purposely playing "vanilla" and doing sucky during pre-season.
Yes I am wondering about this too. IMO this will 100% finally cement my feelings on Jauron. I have never liked him as a coach but willing to give him one last benefit of the doubt. If they come up with a great gameplan for the NE game it could win some confidence back from me.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Edwards goes back on the first play and throws long down the sideline to Owens. The ball is intercepted because he throws it short because he hasn't practiced enough long balls and doesn't have the timing down. He also throws out his shoulder and is on the shelf for 6 weeks.

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
don't hold your breath thurm. The guy has gotten spanked by the pats by a margin of victory where the pats have like tripled the score on him.

This is probably the time to tell you, there is no secret plan. the plan is to believe our bend but don't break defense that struggles to get turnovers is going to keep brady and co in check. And then when we get the ball the plan isto drive it as far as we can until we are within a 40yard field goal range. Unless of course we are 20 yards from the endzone, then we'll go for it on 4th down and spend the remainder of the game thinking up excuses for the postgame.

M
09-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Unlike the majority of the Zoners I expect BIG THINGS every season.

*sits next to Hemlepp*

HAMMER
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't be so flippin morbid. I can't stand the attitude of so many in the Buffalo region. "Nobody respects us, we suck, boo hoo." Suck it up! Bills are going 10-6, write it down and revisit me later in the season.

Thurm's positivity is refreshing.

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
It's funny. I was thinking this exact same thing in bed last night. The season starts in a little over a week and I've never been less excited to watch the Bills. I was never much of a college football fan (compared to NFL), but I'm actually looking forward to that much more than Bills football (even though my Bruins have sucked for just as long as the Bills).

This level of mediocrity has gone on for so long, with no hope of an end in sight, that watching Bills football feels more like an obligation than a privilege. If it wasn't for XS's feeds, I probably would only bother watching the national TV games this year.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Don't be so flippin morbid. I can't stand the attitude of so many in the Buffalo region. "Nobody respects us, we suck, boo hoo." Suck it up! Bills are going 10-6, write it down and revisit me later in the season.

Thurm is so pollyanna sometimes, it is sickening.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Thurm is so pollyanna sometimes, it is sickening.
Whatever that means.
I am not a negative ***** sue me.

Hammer is right on with his assesment of Buffalonians attitudes. All whoa is me but never taking action

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 10:21 AM

It's not morbidity, but reality. During the early 90's, I expected them to go to the Super Bowl and win. When Flutie was here and we had that stout defense, I expected us to go the playoffs and I even believed we could win a championship. When Rob Johnson was quarterback and manboobs was coach, I expected us to suck. It's called assessing reality and setting your expectations accordingly.

I don't understand how anyone could have even moderately high expectations, when you look at a roster of mediocre talent coached by one of the 3 worst coaches in the league.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Whatever that means.

By definition: "unreasonably or illogically optimistic"

It comes from a novel by that name, written about a century ago, where the title character was a compulsively optimistic young girl.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2009, 10:25 AM
It's not morbidity, but reality. During the early 90's, I expected them to go to the Super Bowl and win. When Flutie was here and we had that stout defense, I expected us to go the playoffs and I even believed we could win a championship. When Rob Johnson was quarterback and manboobs was coach, I expected us to suck. It's called assessing reality and setting your expectations accordingly.

I don't understand how anyone could have even moderately high expectations, when you look at a roster of mediocre talent coached by one of the 3 worst coaches in the league.
Yeah we know thanks for explaining the realists for the ten thousandth time.

SabreEleven
09-04-2009, 10:28 AM

So you enjoy the constant kick to the nuts every year? I'll be watching the game but with two hands covering the boys because I've learned that the kick is coming.

Fool me ten times, shame on you. Fool me Eleven times, shame on me.

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah we know thanks for explaining the realists for the ten thousandth time.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with being passionate about your team, rooting them on, and hoping for the best. That's what good fans do. And I'll be the first to admit that, in that respect, my personal level of Bills-fandom is nothing to be proud about.

It's just that being a Bills fan has slowly evolved into basically becoming a prison b*tch (this mentality has been extremely accelerated thanks to Jauron). Every season we just take it in the @ss and come back for more. I guess it just becomes less and less appealing after a decade of enduring it.

But again, I admire your level of passion, hope and optimism. I just wish I could share it.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Whatever that means.
I am not a negative ***** sue me.

Hammer is right on with his assesment of Buffalonians attitudes. All whoa is me but never taking action

What the F kind of action can be taken?

You have always been the "I will trust the coaches" or "I trust the front office" crap once the season begins, then you ***** about it when a guy doesn't play well even though the coaches and fo keep them.

Plus, I said I want them to do well, I just don't think they will and they have shown me nothing the past two years to show me that anything will change. It's not about being negative, it's about having my eyes open and watching what they do.

Jan Reimers
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I have almost always been an optimist, but it seems like there is less and less to be optimistic about. I still hope with all my heart that we win. But my brain ain't buyin' it.

chernobylwraiths
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
OK, my expectations might have increased just a tiny bit.

chernobylwraiths
11-15-2009, 07:37 PM
still no expectations