PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Williams... is he a starter?

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I have been thinking about this for a long time. I really dont think KW is a starting DT, especially in the cover 2.

He is definitely serviceable and a reliable player but he just doesn't get in the backfield near enough.

IMO McCargo or Johnson starting beside Stroud would be way more difficult for offenses to deal with. In fact, I'm leaning towards McCargo, he has shown he is powerful at the POA, and he has a knack for knifing into the backfield against the run and the pass.

Time to justify that first round pick.

bigbub2352
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Our DTs are not Cover 2 pass rushing DTs this is our Bills Front office keeping a backup as a starter on the cheap to pay an overratted Stroud who is also not a cover 2 pass rushing DT way to go Front office, add Mitchell and Poz who are not Cover 2 type Lbers and u got the chemistry for an outstanding Defence (sarcasm)
Kyle Williams is grossly overratted by the media and the Front office and coaching staff he regularly gets pushed around and rarely holds his ground, he provides 0 pass rush and also gets blown off the ball on most plays
sad days we are living fans cause anyone who thinks kyle williams is a starter just watch the Dline week in week out and watch how easily he is blocked and pushed out of the way with alarming consistency

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Our DTs are not Cover 2 pass rushing DTs this is our Bills Front office keeping a backup as a starter on the cheap to pay an overratted Stroud who is also not a cover 2 pass rushing DT way to go Front office, add Mitchell and Poz who are not Cover 2 type Lbers and u got the chemistry for an outstanding Defence (sarcasm)
Kyle Williams is grossly overratted by the media and the Front office and coaching staff he regularly gets pushed around and rarely holds his ground, he provides 0 pass rush and also gets blown off the ball on most plays
sad days we are living fans cause anyone who thinks kyle williams is a starter just watch the Dline week in week out and watch how easily he is blocked and pushed out of the way with alarming consistency
I think Stroud fits. He is bigger than the average cover 2 DT but he is athletic and can run pretty well. He also gives the added bonus of being a solid run defender.

If we can just let go of the KW project and allow the true penetrators to play more we would get more pressure. Especially since they will be singled up most of the time with Stroud being doubled.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I have been thinking about this for a long time. I really dont think KW is a starting DT, especially in the cover 2.

He is definitely serviceable and a reliable player but he just doesn't get in the backfield near enough.

IMO McCargo or Johnson starting beside Stroud would be way more difficult for offenses to deal with. In fact, I'm leaning towards McCargo, he has shown he is powerful at the POA, and he has a knack for knifing into the backfield against the run and the pass.

Time to justify that first round pick.

I don't know, our run defense has been pretty decent. But he absolutely disappears on passing plays. I could see him being in as a run-defending rotational tackle, but he really needs to come out during passing downs.

I'd love to see McCargo step up during the regular season and earn himself a starting role.

yordad
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
McCargo will take that job. He looks fitter, leaner, meaner, faster, and more motivated then ever. His ceiling is higher, and it is just a matter of time, IMO.

Then again, I said alot of that last year and he laid an egg.

Night Train
09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Spencer Johnson should be starting.

Anyone that watched the pre-season games could see him constantly getting into the backfield.

Michael82
09-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Kyle Williams has done a very good job and is extremely underrated. I'm fine with him starting.

casdhf
09-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I like our DTs. I think Maybin will take some pressure off Schobel. I really think the DL will be productive this season.

Mahdi
10-19-2009, 07:44 AM
I posted this before the season and in light of the way Buffalo has defended the run I thought I would get an idea of what the rest of you think right now.

A lot of us seem to really like KW but I just dont see it. He is a lot like Ellison to me. Just flashes in and out of the game and being pushed out of the way for the rest.

I really think McCargo or Spencer should be given more time along side Stroud because the amount of yards we are allowing is comical.

EDS
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
I posted this before the season and in light of the way Buffalo has defended the run I thought I would get an idea of what the rest of you think right now.

A lot of us seem to really like KW but I just dont see it. He is a lot like Ellison to me. Just flashes in and out of the game and being pushed out of the way for the rest.

I really think McCargo or Spencer should be given more time along side Stroud because the amount of yards we are allowing is comical.

McCargo and Spencer stink. Stroud got pushed out of the way his fair share as well.

Mahdi
10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
McCargo and Spencer stink. Stroud got pushed out of the way his fair share as well.
McCargo has been very good as a run stuffer in the limited time he has played for us. He or Spence will probably get a big chance this week and I think they make the most of it.

EDS
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
McCargo has been very good as a run stuffer in the limited time he has played for us. He or Spence will probably get a big chance this week and I think they make the most of it.

I disagree on McCargo. It has been a while since he has made a play of any kind.

Mahdi
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I disagree on McCargo. It has been a while since he has made a play of any kind.
Yes. Im saying when he was in there for us, he always seemed to make a play in the backfield. We need more of that because that is what the defense is predicated on.

justasportsfan
10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Every now and then our DT are going to get owned when they have to stay on the field for most of the time because our O doesn't do much. But i have no problem with Kyle Williams.

Forward_Lateral
10-19-2009, 08:45 AM
If you have a problem with Williams, you are sniffing too much glue. He's been in the backfield more than any DT on the team, and deserves his starting role. Notice how when he was out, the Jets ran for 65 and 70 yards on consecutive plays?

DraftBoy
10-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Williams has been our best DL this season on a consistency basis. Great penetration and his first step speed has really improved.

Mahdi
10-19-2009, 09:04 AM
If you have a problem with Williams, you are sniffing too much glue. He's been in the backfield more than any DT on the team, and deserves his starting role. Notice how when he was out, the Jets ran for 65 and 70 yards on consecutive plays?
Was he out on both plays? U sure?

Mahdi
10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Williams has been our best DL this season on a consistency basis. Great penetration and his first step speed has really improved.
I dont disagree that he has made a lot of plays. He has. But he gets pushed out of the way too often. He can be manhandled easily and although he has improved his first step, he is not a great athlete. Its feast or famine for KW. IMO.

Forward_Lateral
10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Was he out on both plays? U sure?

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the announcers said so. Again, it was Fouts, so who knows.

Philagape
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
He was on the field for both long runs.

Ickybaluky
10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Kyle Williams is a nice rotational tackle, but he wouldn't be a starter on most teams in the NFL. He would be a great fit as a 3rd DT because he is tough and gives high effort, but he doesn't have the talent to be an every-down player.

Mahdi
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
He was on the field for both long runs.
Yeah that's what I thought.

I think KW is the perfect rotational DT, he should come in fresh every few snaps or series and put in all his effort. But asking him to do it for 60 minutes will result in what we have allowed rushing.

I think Spencer should get a shot at more snaps. McCargo too, if healthy?

Philagape
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Williams is like a lot of Bills' front seven ... quick, hard-working and can make plays in space. Obviously, the D was built for that. If they can shoot the gap, they have you.
But once a lineman locks on or gets any kind of push, forget it. They won't win POA matchups, except maybe Stroud on occasion. And against a great line like the Jets, it's a mismatch. They'll get engulfed, and mostly it only has to be one-on-one.