PDA

View Full Version : Drafting question - PSU players

psubills62
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
This is for everyone, not just draft gurus.

I know Penn State has had a lot of NFL busts in recent years, which has really clouded PSU's image.

I'd like to ask a somewhat hypothetical question of Bills fans with regards to PSU draftees.

IF (these are both big if's, I know) Poz takes the next step and becomes a dominant MLB, AND IF Maybin continues to develop into a very good pass rusher....would that change your view of PSU players? Would you be more inclined to go after guys like Navorro Bowman (monster OLB for PSU), Jack Crawford (RDE), or anyone else? Would you be more willing to draft guys from PSU?

I'm just curious. After all, I was REALLY psyched when they drafted Poz, and somewhat excited to see them pick Maybin (although mostly confused at the time, as I thought Maybin didn't fit our needs at all).

MassEffect218435
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Nope, wouldn't change my view at all.

Ginger Vitis
09-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes it would change my view... The University of Texas is even more cloudier than Penn State

psubills62
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Nope, wouldn't change my view at all.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Ginger Vitis
09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Blair Thomas, Ki Jana Carter, Curtis Enis all running backs who were 1st round picks were disapointments..Courtney Brown a De taken 1st overall in 2000 by the Browns was a disapointment.. Off the top of my head I can only think of LaVar Arrington who was a high draft who met expectations.. Lomas Brown yet to be determined? Are there any PSU players picked in Round 1 or 2 in the last 10 years who met or exceeded expectations?

yordad
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't judge a school because some of it's ex-players failed.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Blair Thomas, Ki Jana Carter, Curtis Enis all running backs who were 1st round picks were disapointments..Courtney Brown a De taken 1st overall in 2000 by the Browns was a disapointment.. Off the top of my head I can only think of LaVar Arrington who was a high draft who met expectations.. Lomas Brown yet to be determined? Are there any PSU players picked in Round 1 or 2 in the last 10 years who met or exceeded expectations?

The past ten years definitely has not been kind to PSU players. I actually think the PSU players drafted later (or even gone undrafted) have had more success than the first round players.

Guys like Ed Johnson on the Colts...came in and started as a rookie UDFA, though had some off-the-field issues shortly after.

I see where you're coming from, certainly. Two Bills players can't quite erase memories of the other busts from PSU. Hopefully more players will come out and succeed in changing your mind about PSU draftees.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't judge a school because some of it's ex-players failed.

Some people don't. Most people do, it seems. Texas gets the reputation of pampered players, PSU has injury busts as well as regular busts, etc. I think you can find stereotypes for a lot of schools as well as exceptions to those stereotypes.

yordad
09-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Some people don't. Most people do, it seems. Texas gets the reputation of pampered players, PSU has injury busts as well as regular busts, etc. I think you can find stereotypes for a lot of schools as well as exceptions to those stereotypes.Yeah, I hear it all the time. Like "Stay away from Florida for DEs". Personally, I think they might as well stay clear from a player based on hair color if they are gonna do that. I just think every player should be treated as an individual.

DraftBoy
09-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I dont judge any player based on their schools history of producing NFL talent.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I dont judge any player based on their schools history of producing NFL talent.

That's fine. Like I told yordad, I've heard quite a bit from people who do.

While we're on the subject, what do you think of Navorro Bowman? I'm thinking of starting a thread in the draft zone regarding PSU players to keep an eye on, with my thoughts on them.

DraftBoy
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
That's fine. Like I told yordad, I've heard quite a bit from people who do.

While we're on the subject, what do you think of Navorro Bowman? I'm thinking of starting a thread in the draft zone regarding PSU players to keep an eye on, with my thoughts on them.

Bowman is an incredible LB prospect, who reminds me a lot of Lavar Arrington. He played RB and LB in HS so he has good solid speed sideline to sideline. He shows good technique getting low and driving through his tackles. He is a violent hitter as well. Bowman is a tremedous pass rusher and and can do some coverage work as well.

My biggest knock on Bowman is his instincts, he gets caught guessing on misdirection plays and can be out of position, though he showed improvement on that last season. He can also at times over pursue plays and lose the backside containment.

I think Bowman could be the top OLB prospect when all is said and done if he continue to work at his game.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Bowman is an incredible LB prospect, who reminds me a lot of Lavar Arrington. He played RB and LB in HS so he has good solid speed sideline to sideline. He shows good technique getting low and driving through his tackles. He is a violent hitter as well. Bowman is a tremedous pass rusher and and can do some coverage work as well.

My biggest knock on Bowman is his instincts, he gets caught guessing on misdirection plays and can be out of position, though he showed improvement on that last season. He can also at times over pursue plays and lose the backside containment.

I think Bowman could be the top OLB prospect when all is said and done if he continue to work at his game.

Nice evaluation. Whenever I get to see him play, I'm very impressed by his ability to wrap up a guy, even in the open field.

It's reasonable to believe he has the potential to improve his game even more...he wasn't even a starter until 4 weeks into the season. I'm excited to see what he and Sean Lee can do on the outside together. All behind Odrick.