PDA

View Full Version : McCaffrey is making strides

Gunzlingr
05-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Receiver running routes with eye on training camp in July

By Lynn DeBruin, Rocky Mountain News
May 23, 2003

Ed McCaffrey wasn't about to pronounce himself 100 percent Thursday, but he was glad to be back running routes on the football field.

"He's getting a lot closer, and it's good to see him off the table in the training room and out here absorbing things," Denver Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith said of the popular veteran.

McCaffrey, who underwent groin surgery March 18, attended but did not participate in the team's mini-camp earlier this month.

While his teammates worked in a passing camp this week, McCaffrey ran routes by himself.

"I jogged through some routes earlier in the week for the first time, but I felt a little better (Thursday) than I did Tuesday," McCaffrey said. "Each time I try to run (the routes) a little faster and come out of the break a little harder. What I'm looking for each time is improvement, and so far I've seen that."

McCaffrey said he is still a few weeks from being able to participate in an actual practice, which puts in question whether he will be ready for the team's June mini-camp.

But the goal is to be ready for training camp in July.

"We're not going to push the envelope," offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said. "We know what Ed's going to do when he gets back. It's been good for Ashley (Lelie). He's getting a ton of reps

more (http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_1982885,00.html)