Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/04/down-goes-schonert/

BillsWin
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Holy ****. Dick showed some balls...

DraftBoy
Well I can't say I dont like the move, but my god can we look any more dysfunctional?

Mahdi
Alex Van Pelt NEW OC

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Holy ****. Dick showed some balls...
Credit due. Dick did what had to be done.

The Juice Is Loose
09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
HOLY BEEP!

Mahdi
We keeping the no huddle? I hope so.

The Juice Is Loose
I was literally just laughing about the Bucs doing the same thing

billsburgh
09-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Credit due. Dick did what had to be done.
they why hasnt he fired himself yet?

M
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Whaaaaaaaaat?! I hope AVP has what it takes. No more scaredy-cat play calling!!!

patmoran2006
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
**** I WISH MY SITE WAS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!
I knew this over a hour ago but couldnt do **** about it!

DMBcrew36
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Belichick lickin his chops...

circlethewagons
09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
wow, not what i was expecting less than two weeks till the opener. But is Van pelt really qualified for this job? he has what, 1 year of experience as a QB coach? I just hope Jauron knows what he's doing.

Lets face it though, something had to change with this pitiful offense this preseason... i just didn't think it would be a coaching change

The Juice Is Loose
09-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Van Pelt always did well if my memory serves me. I was at a game Todd Collins started and we were getting routed. AVP came in and almost brought it back, and quickly.

He was always fat and didn't have much ability which can only lend to think one thing. He knew what he was doing???

I mean this can only make sense if A) He and Trent must have a great relationship B) Players had to have been *****ing about Turks play calling, and we all have so it had to be true.

Not only that but now the Patriots have absolutely NO WAY to know what to expect as far as play calling tendencies!! But AVP I'm sure knows New England well!

The Juice Is Loose
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
BULL*****.

I could update a web site in my phone in 3 minutes. U haven't predicted ONE THING right since new years.

I knew it was going to happen yesterday so there.

Tiburon1724
Van Pelt's no upgrade, how about bringing in someone with proven talent?

patmoran2006
this makes THREE OC's that have been fired in preseason this year.

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 11:11 AM
LOL. Beyond "reeks of desperation." This franchise is a fuggin mess. Not that I was a fan of Schonert, but at least he was interested in making the offense more aggressive - though, admittedly to no success.

Ralph should just fire Jauron now and then we could just sit back and at least look forward to the coaching hire after what's projected to be a poor season performance-wise.

On a sidenote, I always loved Van Pelt because he got the most out of his feeble physical talents. Let's hope he can do the same with this offense.

Canadian'eh!
09-04-2009, 11:11 AM
It's good news bad news.

Thank god he's gone.... but they are replacing him with Alex Van Pelt. Our QB coach who has done nothing to help Our QB's since he's been here.

Not sure how the hell he's any better!!!

I mentioned this last week that if the fired schonert they will just find the next reject in line with the current team to be just as ****ty.

DraftBoy
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I didnt like Schonert much at all, but I dont really see a big positive in any way here. We go to an unexpierenced OC with just over a week till the season begins....

Meathead
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
are you sure it was the red one??

http://www.webejeepin.com/images/TechTips/panic_button-lg.jpg

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Van Pelt always did well if my memory serves me. I was at a game Todd Collins started and we were getting routed. AVP came in and almost brought it back, and quickly.

Denver during the 96-97 season. Denver was undefeated and leading 20-0 late in the third quarter and the Bill came back to take it to overtime. I remember that one well. Great comeback.

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2009, 11:15 AM
BULL*****.

I could update a web site in my phone in 3 minutes. U haven't predicted ONE THING right since new years.

Pat's site is not online yet.

Don't be a douchebag about it.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I hope Van Pelt can fix the run game for one and second, stretch the field and get Trent to make some throws that scare a defense.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Well...I guess that proves our offense wasn't just hiding things.

This just looks worse and worse as it gets closer to the season.

I wonder if this means we won't be running the no-huddle? Or are they going to run it, just differently than Schonert was?

DMBcrew36
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
BULL*****.

:rofl:

DMBcrew36
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/04/down-goes-schonert/

So this is the big plan that made Lee Evans feel better on Monday?!? I find it hard to believe that this is 'the big plan'...

WTF is going on at One Bills Drive?? Talk about dysfunction...

casdhf
A guy that's been around a few years. I doubt we'll even notice a difference.

Canadian'eh!
At the VERY least, the team is acknowledging that something had/has to give.

But really, this should have happened at the end of LAST SEASON (along with the firing of Jauron), and everyone knows it.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Well...I guess that proves our offense wasn't just hiding things.

This just looks worse and worse as it gets closer to the season.

I wonder if this means we won't be running the no-huddle? Or are they going to run it, just differently than Schonert was?
Guess not.

Seems Schonert just has nothing to show. When you're starting QB doesn't complete one throw past 15 yards something is wrong.

circlethewagons
09-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I didnt like Schonert much at all, but I dont really see a big positive in any way here. We go to an unexpierenced OC with just over a week till the season begins....

And if he turns out to suck, it won't be long before Jaurons calling the plays :scared:

DrGraves
09-04-2009, 11:20 AM
thank god... maybe we can salvage this season afterall

schubbard
09-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I look at it this way... Even if the playbook remains identical, the play calling can't possibly be any worse.

cocamide
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow. I thought this was gonna be one of those joke threads with a picture of Schonert playing with forrest fires with Smokey the Bear.

Well, the O can't get any worse. I've scored as many touchdowns as the starters have this preseason.

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Seems Schonert just has nothing to show. When you're starting QB doesn't complete one throw past 15 yards something is wrong.

Yeah, I think it shows there's something wrong with the quarterback. Especially when your second and third stringers aren't encountering the same problem. I'm not a Trent hater, but his problem's are all his - and they lay right behind the eyes.

bigbub2352
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM
So u wait till now to do it when he should have been fired last yr what a joke
and then promote someone who never has done it 10 days before the opener
Holy ****
we are truly a joke

The Spaz
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM
AVP may not be ready but I still think has a better grasp of what an offense should look like.

Italian Stallion
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
no idea what to thik about this...dick shows balls yet probally at the worst possible time.

seems about right for this team

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I think it shows there's something wrong with the quarterback. Especially when your second and third stringers aren't encountering the same problem. I'm not a Trent hater, but his problem's are all his - and they lay right behind the eyes.
Yeah for sure. I think Trent is just as much to blame. He needs to fire the football and stop worrying.

Fitzpatrick looks way more impressive.

yordad
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
So... is Trent still the starter?

cocamide
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Can we take a mulligan for the entire preseason?

Patrick76777
09-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Haha! Me too! Actually I knew last night.

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
AVP may not be ready but I still think has a better grasp of what an offense should look like.

Not trying to be an @ss, but what makes you think that?

They were both NFL back-up QBs. They've both served as QB coaches. Shonert has more experience. Just wondering what makes you believe that AVP has a "better grasp" of running an NFL offense.

BAM
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
This is GREAT news! His offense was not fooling anybody!!

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
So... is Trent still the starter?
Van Pelt is now OC and QB.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
per wiki,

On February 13, 2006, Van Pelt was hired to Dick Jauron's coaching staff as Offensive Quality Control Coach. His prior coaching experience included work at the University at Buffalo in 2005, where he was a volunteer winter quarterback's coach. He also was the quarterbacks coach for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe, the NFL's developmental league, in 2005, where he was responsible for all offensive play calling. On January 16, 2008 the Bills promoted him from offensive quality control coach to quarterbacks coach.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Van_Pelt

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
This is GREAT news! His offense was not fooling anybody!!
Yeah. I always had the feeling that our offense was so predictable. I always seem to be able to call exactly what they are doing and so do defenses. When you watch other teams offenses they keep you off balance and mix things up.

Change had to be made. Couldn't have been any worse.

TacklingDummy
09-04-2009, 11:34 AM
van Pelt's track record?

casdhf
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Pat's site is not online yet.

Don't be a douchebag about it.THURM WAS FIRED FOR LESS THAN THIS.

streetkings01
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I knew this over a hour ago but couldnt do **** about it!So why didn't you post it here?:bs:

TheBrownBear
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
per wiki,

He also was the quarterbacks coach for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe, the NFL's developmental league, in 2005, where he was responsible for all offensive play calling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Van_Pelt

Just for the sake of assessing his past performance as a playcaller:

Frankfurt went 3-7 that season and averaged 16.3 ppg.

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I hope Trent doesn't have much influence on AVP. Otherwise all our receivers will be running 3 yard routes and turning them into 3.5 yard gains.

Mr. Miyagi
09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
they why hasnt he fired himself yet?
No that's Mularkey's move.

Philagape
09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
At this rate, the equipment manager will be calling the plays by November!

Promote from within .. The Ralphie Way

chubluv
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow. the Bills made a bold move. :shocked:

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
At this rate, the equipment manager will be calling the plays by November!

Promote from within .. The Ralphie Way
Or we can just pass on the playcalling duties to Marshawn. Hey, he's got to earn his money over the next few weeks.

Coach Sal
09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow. Totally out of character for Jauron to do this.

Interesting, I was on TV last night and blasted Tampa's Raheem Morris for firing his OC a week before the season. I said it was a "Bush League" move to do that to the guy before he ever got a chance to prove he can or can't perform when the real bullets fly, when the entire coaching staff is new.

But I also said if it had been a HC/OC combo that had been together for a few years, and things just weren't progressing, then I could understand making the move and wouldn't see it as such a horrible thing to do to the guy.

So, here are my feelings on this one:
--As a coach and person, I feel bad for Turk. There are no job openings right now this close to the season, unless KC or Tampa still need a QB coach as part of their re-structuring so late, too.

--As a Bills fan, I'm ecstatic that he's gone after what I've witnessed the year and this preseason. Also glad AVP is going to get a crack at this and think we're better off immediately, but especially in the long run. Hopefully, that "long run" doesn't take more than a week to get to.

--As a Bills fan, it just continues to prove how much of a mess this organization and this front office is. It also re-enforces the point I made a couple weeks ago that everyone in the organization is on the hot seat and some will do whatever they feel it takes to save their jobs right now.

SABURZFAN
09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Dick is next.

Michael82
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Holy ****! I haven't liked Schonert much, but I don't see how AVP is any better... :shocked:

Michael82
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
The next firing will be Dick Jauron by week 8 and Bobby April will get that promotion, IMO....

casdhf
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
AVP is a local hero here. It'll take a while for the fans to turn on him.

Jaybird
09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
AVP was around for the K-GUN. The hurry up is somewhat similar... so he should be able to call a good game!

shelby
09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Good luck AVP! Hopefully this will be a good thing...

:pray:

:gobills:

elltrain22
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
What a joke of a franchise. This is effin' fidiculous. Fire em all while they're at it.

Mad Bomber
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Well I can't say I dont like the move, but my god can we look any more dysfunctional?
Yes we could. At least this guy had a (bad) track record...the other OCs hadn't even had a chance to run a regular season game. Turk has had regular season incompetence.

ELAYAS
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes we could. At least this guy had a (bad) track record...the other OCs hadn't even had a chance to run a regular season game. Turk has had regular season incompetence.

how reassuring

Typ0
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Dick Jauron firing a guy a week before the season. This has good to come from the top. Now the spin doctors will start to use this as an excuse trying to save ticket sales next year because of the "hope" of the new guy getting started off the right way.

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
excited turk's gone...but my issues are the following:

1. did we need to waste an entire camp to come to this conclusion
Honestly, you needed to get through 4 preseason games to know that the offense from last year sucked?
2. Is this what they needed to do so that they could reverse course on the no huddle since it was ineffective?
What happens if they didn't dislike turk as much as they disliked the ineffective no huddle? I would think it would be hard to have a huddling offense in week 1 and justify it after keeping everything the same. Therefore, to make the change, you have to have the excuse that, "we got rid of the coordinator."
3. Is it really turk, or is trent's indecisive check downs pretty much seal turks' doom?
I remember last year that turk went on record by saying, "i call certain plays in, but then the QB doesn't see the hot receivers." This move also pretty much puts it on trent's shoulders. if nothing changes, then trent is most likely the weak link. If he starts getting better, then turk is to blame.
4. Does this mean Jauron is more involved in play calling on offense for the first week?
With turk gone and not a lot of time for AVP to do his thing, does this mean that play calling is falling into Jauron's hands? That seems even worse than having turk. At least turk can spell offense. Jauron knows jack**** about offense.

Either way, i am stunned that the bills needed to go through all this under a jauron led staff. 3 points from the starters? You didn't know that before TC that that was a distinct possibility?

I'm pretty sure whatever small hope we held out that Jauron was the kaizer soze and was going to shock us against the patriots just went out the window.

Buffalogic
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Good! Schonert was so out of his league! I remember yelling at the tv so much last year about his awful playcalling. This should have happened sooner in my opinion!

Billz_fan
09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Well The Turk got fired ?

Didn't those guys realize it was only preseason ? :laughter:

Scumbag College
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
What a joke of a franchise. This is effin' fidiculous. Fire em all while they're at it.

It's like a cluster**** on top of a plane crash that fell on top of a derailed train watching this team from Week 5 last year to today.

Billz_fan
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Adam Scheftner just reported on ESPN that Ralph was largley involved in Turks firing.

Michael82
09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
It's like a cluster**** on top of a plane crash that fell on top of a derailed train watching this team from Week 5 last year to today.
:rofl: That's a pretty big mess!

jdbillsfan
09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Hopefully this throws a loop into the Pats game planning for us.

M
09-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Adam Scheftner just reported on ESPN that Ralph was largley involved in Turks firing.

Check your diaper, Jauron. You may be next.

tonyc37
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
This came from Ralph.He wanted the staff replaced in the offseason and Dick refused.This time Ralph put his foot down.This is what happens when you let your head coach pick a mediocore staff to begin with.Kugler should be next.

BAM
09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
How do you know that, Tony? Dick just said at his presser that it was his decision, though he did call to confirm it with Ralph.

Buffalogic
09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Hai I'm Turk Schonert....3rd and 1?? OMG 5 wide!!

dpendy07
09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I look at it this way... Even if the playbook remains identical, the play calling can't possibly be any worse.

this.

DMBcrew36
09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/7146/jauron-explains-decision-to-fire-schonert

Mad Bomber
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
AVP as offensive coordinator? THAT will certainly put an end to these sickening CHECK DOWN passes....

madness
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
It's pretty clear what went down. Dick called out Trent... Trent said he was only doing what he was told to do. Turk has gone on record plenty of times about only taking what the defense gives them and letting the receivers make plays. T.O. and Lee wanting to to take more shots downfield. Lee said earlier this week he was happy about some changes he heard about.

Get ready to expect not only a different Trent but finally an agressive offense. AVP will still run the no huddle but his comments always suggested it was better to attack a defense instead of Turk's dink and dunk aproach.

I was more than willing to give Turk a chance but his philosphy irks me since the defense gets to play it safe and just has to wait for our offense to make a mistake. It was also a huge handicap to our running game since defenses didn't have to cover the whole field.

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
"It's not like we're changing schemes," Jauron said. "We're maybe changing focus, but we're not adding new things. They're used to the terminology. Everybody's on the same page.

Is anyone else about to bang their head against a wall and ask how not changing anything is going to make a difference?

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
i love how we are all hoping that the patriots are now shaking in their boots that we took out an inexperienced OC and replaced him with an inexperienced OC.

The patriots will beat us just the same with no issues. When you are playing with kids and they tell you they are going to do something different, do you lose any sleep over it? Same rules apply with bills vs. patriots.

casdhf
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Turk will be a Patriots assistant to the assistant by tomorrow afternoon.

Commissioner
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Don't even joke....

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Wouldn't be surprised.

Bill B. loves killing the Bills ever since we took Milloy 3 days before the opener and then pounded them.

Schonert can give him intimate details of our plans for week 1.

Prov401
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Great news. Buffalo was going to get killed in New England with this no huddle B.S. Now New England is going be to left in the dark a little bit. Not saying we're going to kick ass or anything like that, but it gives us a better chance. I don't understand why people are saying our offense isn't going to change. Obviously the firing was made because Turk's play-calling sucked. AVP will bring a different approach to games, and hopefully scrap this full time no huddle garbage.

madness
09-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Great news. Buffalo was going to get killed in New England with this no huddle B.S. Now New England is going be to left in the dark a little bit. Not saying we're going to kick ass or anything like that, but it gives us a better chance. I don't understand why people are saying our offense isn't going to change. Obviously the firing was made because Turk's play-calling sucked. AVP will bring a different approach to games, and hopefully scrap this full time no huddle garbage.

While the playcalling will be more aggressive, the no huddle is staying but except to see a quicker pace with AVP in charge.

Michael82
09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
While the playcalling will be more aggressive, the no huddle is staying but except to see a quicker pace with AVP in charge.
Thank God! That was the lamest no-huddle offense I have ever seen!

madness
09-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Thank God! That was the lamest no-huddle offense I have ever seen!
It definitely was pretty painful to watch. While they both like the no huddle both Turk and AVP disagreed on how it should be run. Turk liked to methodically move down the field while AVP comes from the Jim Kelly school of thought. If you are going to push the defense hard and wear them down, you better take the opportunity to dictate the momentum by throwing haymakers to keep them reeling backwards... not continue to jab them to death so eventually they recover.

NC-BILLS44
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
They need to chuck a few deep to keep the D honest.
This dink and dunk will get them nowhere, except off the field.

sdbillsfan2
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not saying this is the case , but........ what if Dick and Schonert were on different pages.. I could see this as a possibility ':

Schonert - yo Dick , I think we need to let these guys loose and let them make some plays further downfield. Take a chance.

Dickie- No way. it's to risky. We'll save conservative and hope we catch a break.

Now,I'm not saying it went down like this , but with DJ's record of conservative play ...who knows. Maybe Schonert rocked the boat to much ..

Is it possible?

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm not saying this is the case , but........ what if Dick and Schonert were on different pages.. I could see this as a possibility ':

Schonert - yo Dick , I think we need to let these guys loose and let them make some plays further downfield. Take a chance.

Dickie- No way. it's to risky. We'll save conservative and hope we catch a break.

Now,I'm not saying it went down like this , but with DJ's record of conservative play ...who knows. Maybe Schonert rocked the boat to much ..

Is it possible?
Other than running the ball 3 times and punting I dont see how it could get any more conservative.

I think Jauron felt, like we all did, that Schonert was simply a bad play caller and didn't give the offense direction.

Trent not knowing where to throw the football every time he sees a 3-4 defense has to fall on the OC's shoulders at some point.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Great news. Buffalo was going to get killed in New England with this no huddle B.S. Now New England is going be to left in the dark a little bit.

I guess you could say the Pats won't know what to expect, but I think that is offset by the Bills not knowing what to expect as well.

SquishDaFish
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
BULL*****.

You need to STFU and bite your damn tongue. Hes broke more stories then you have changed in underwear. Get off his damn ass bro

Mahdi
09-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Just listened to the whole Jauron PC.

Jauron pretty much gave the reason why he fired Schonert in 2 words : "more attacking."

Jauron obviously feels as the rest of us do that our offense has to attack defenses more and stop beating around the bush.

Im happy with that statement and he also said we will stay with the No Huddle offense exclusively.

Oldbillsfan
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
This is great news...what a season this will be...lol

TacklingDummy
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Turk will be a Patriots assistant to the assistant by tomorrow afternoon.I don't think they need much help game planning against the Bills offense.

jamze132
09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure firing Schonert and replacing him with Jesus is going to help our O-line...

Miami_Vice
09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
WOW
Dolphin fan here, I havent read through this entire thread so I dont know how all of you Bills fans feel about this.

All I can say is that it doesnt look good at all.

Your organization seems to be in disarray from top to bottom. And you got to face the Pats opening weekend....YIKES.

Is your coaching staff trying to cater to TO? Hopefully him playing games on Sundays doesnt interfere with his VH1 show haha.

mybills
09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
WOW
Dolphin fan here, I havent read through this entire thread so I dont know how all of you Bills fans feel about this.

maybe you should. :up: