PDA

View Full Version : Why are we assuming this firing was Dick's call?

MikeInRoch
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
No one thinks it's POSSIBLE that Ralph called for his head based on the pre-season performances?

M
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Or Russ Brandon. Jauron stands by his coaches. But I thought Russ wanted Jauron gone as well last year (who knows - maybe my memory is failing).

streetkings01
09-04-2009, 11:39 AM
It was either Russ or Ralph that made that call. Jauron will stick by his coaches to the end.....no way was it his decision to fire Turk right after stating that the team played vanilla in preseason on purpose.

patmoran2006
09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
It's very possible.

I'lll tell you what, I still don't know a lot about him. But I have had the opportunity to learn about Russ Brandon a little bit at least.

He wants to win badly and he's not afraid to make moves to do it.

It could've also came right from Mr. Wilson himself, you're right.

yordad
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
He was probably told to fire Turk or they are both gone.

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/784899.html

Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was in attendance at Thursday night's exhibition finale against Detroit.

DMBcrew36
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Bills coach Dick Jauron decided to remove offensive coordinator Turk Schonert on Friday morning, according to a league source.
Jauron informed his staff that he wasn’t getting what he wanted in terms of pace and being quick with the team’s no-huddle offense. He felt there was limited movement and formations with the scheme. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will now call plays while running backs coach Eric Studesville is still the run-game coordinator.

- from NFL.com

It was Jauron's move.

Canadian'eh!
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Actually.....

It pretty much HAD top be approved by Dick.

I am 100% certain I read last year right after the season that Dick has final authority over his coaching staff.

It came up in articles during the "meetings" in Detroit with Wilson, Brandon and Dick as to IF they were keeping Dick. They mentioned several times that even if RW and RB ordered him to fire Turk, that he could (and many believed he WOULD) refuse out of loyalty and not wanting to lose that power... plus they would have had to fire him and still pay him his new contract.

So unless something has changed, it would seem from all that, that this is Dick's call.

Commissioner
09-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Or Russ Brandon. Jauron stands by his coaches. But I thought Russ wanted Jauron gone as well last year (who knows - maybe my memory is failing).

This is what i think. I remember hearing certain things that made me think Russ Brandon wanted to find his own guy after last season.

I'm sure Russ Brandon is worred about his job and probably demanded Jauron fire the coordinator.

Whether that was smart or not is another story, because the alternative could be worse. Van Pelt has never called plays... never got to practice calling plays, and now he's got to call plays against Belichicks defense.

Commissioner
09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
It's very possible.

I'lll tell you what, I still don't know a lot about him. But I have had the opportunity to learn about Russ Brandon a little bit at least.

He wants to win badly and he's not afraid to make moves to do it.

It could've also came right from Mr. Wilson himself, you're right.

I get that impression too. He seems like he wants to prove himself as a GM and football guy, not just a marketing wiz.

I'll bet he didn't like what he saw and talked to Ralph about it and got the go ahead.

Jauron definitely doesn't seem like the type to make this kind of decision.

Commissioner
09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
This is what i think. I remember hearing certain things that made me think Russ Brandon wanted to find his own guy after last season.

I'm sure Russ Brandon is worred about his job and probably demanded Jauron fire the coordinator.

Whether that was smart or not is another story, because the alternative could be worse. Van Pelt has never called plays... never got to practice calling plays, and now he's got to call plays against Belichicks defense.
What's to stop Ralph from saying... Ok Dick! You don't want to fire him. How about I just stop signing his paycheck. Tell him he is working for free now!

Jauron would have to quit if he didn't want to fire him, then Jauron doesn't get paid.

Michael82
09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I think it was pretty much coming down from Ralph Wilson and he told Dick Jauron to fire Turk Schonert or fire himself. Dick is ball-less, so he fired Schonert to save his own ass!

BAM
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Just aired...

Dick: I called Mr. Wilson this morning and informed him of the direction I wanted to take. He said it was my call.

Billz_fan
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Adam Schefter is saying on ESPN that Ralph was largley involved in the firing.

Conflicting reports :D

BAM
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Either Dick just lied through his teeth or Schefter has no idea what he's talking about. Probably a bit of both.

Commissioner
09-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Turk thinks it was a dick call...

madness
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Ralph wanted Turk fired last year. Jauron defended him since he forced Turk to be more conservative than he liked but it turns out Turk's aggressiveness was more bark than bite. I agree with Bam, both felt it was now or never.