PDA

View Full Version : Predictable playcalling or execution?

psubills62
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Which do you think is the main cause of the failure of the offense? I'm sure a lot of people will say both or the former, but I think there's a legitimate point for the latter.

I've seen tons of people complaining about the predictable playcalling. But I'd like to recall memories of the 2007 Patriots (as annoying as it may be).

There were MANY times each game that the Patriots played where EVERYONE knew that the play would be a pass. I think there was a second half one time where they only had a couple of designed runs and everything else was a pass play.

But people still couldn't stop them because their execution was near flawless.

So what do you think? Do we need better talent so we have better execution, or do our coaches need to improve the playcalling, or both?

I'd love to see some discussion of this, especially now that Schonert was fired. I thought there were times when he called a good play, but the execution was horrid. I'm specifically thinking of several screen plays where Lynch had miles of real estate in front of him, but dropped the pass.

DMBcrew36
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's my favorite quote from Jerry Sullivan's chat during the press conference:

<TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class="chatmsgname altcaster_text" noWrap>2:11
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff" class="chatmsgtext altcaster_text altcaster_text_size">Sully: You're right. Not preparing for the 3-4 defense doesn't mean you have to look confounded by it. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

yordad
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't know that it was the play calling. I think it was preparation and execution.

Nighthawk
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
It's both, but the coaching is the biggest problem with this team.

madness
09-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Execution wasn't too bad but it looks a lot worse when you're having to move down the field in single digit increments. Especially since you're just begging the D to flood the short field to take out both the running and passing game. It's definitely no way to put the season on the line. Jauron knows his job is on the line and he at least has the look that he wants to go down swinging.

The Patriots execution was pretty damn flawless but even if they barely ran the ball, they had more talent and used the whole damn field (not just the first 15 yards.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Execution wasn't too bad but it looks a lot worse when you're having to move down the field in single digit increments. Especially since you're just begging the D to flood the short field to take out both the running and passing game. It's definitely no way to put the season on the line. Jauron knows his job is on the line and he at least has the look that he wants to go down swinging.

The Patriots execution was pretty damn flawless but even if they barely ran the ball, they had more talent and used the whole damn field (not just the first 15 yards.

True, but people could also argue that Schonert called plenty of routes that were further downfield, but whenever he called those ones, Edwards just didn't see them or didn't throw to them and ended up checking down.

I don't know because I haven't seen a game in person in several years. I'm just being the devil's advocate here.