PDA

View Full Version : We Might as well bite the bullet

ghz in pittsburgh
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Since he's going to be the QB, just do it. He'll be perfect for that: 3 steps and the ball's out. Throw for 3 yards and let the WRs make the rest.

I know Buffalo may not be the perfect environment for WCO, but while we have Trent here, this might be the best option and ONLY option.

yordad
09-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Why is it not the perfect environment?

trapezeus
09-04-2009, 02:17 PM
weather

yordad
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
weatherSo our weather would prohibite us from throwing a lot of short passes? Can't say I fully understand that one.

BillsOwnAll
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
So our weather would prohibite us from throwing a lot of short passes? Can't say I fully understand that one.

can you fully understand half the things anyone says on this board? I have trouble.

Bill Cody
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Why is going to the WCO "biting the bullet"? You do know a lot of SB's have been won with this offense, right?

TedMock
09-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Why is going to the WCO "biting the bullet"? You do know a lot of SB's have been won with this offense, right?

A lot of Bills fans hate anything that didn't work under our crap coaches over the years even though the system may have been successful elsewhere. West Coast Offense, 46 defense, cover-2, etc. All Super Bowl winning systems that failed in Buffalo, but succeeded elsewhere. Failed in Buffalo - must suck.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Honestly that's the first thing coming to my mind when I heard the news. Trent, Walt Harris, AVP, you connect the dot. But it is not a simple change. The routes are very different in design. I just don't know if the Bills have enough time to pull it off.

I bet Belichick is going to see something very different from the past Bills O two Mondays away.

Beastie Bills
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
So our weather would prohibite us from throwing a lot of short passes? Can't say I fully understand that one.

I'm guessing they think a West Coast Offense must be ran in warm weather. As opposed it just being named for the place it originated. Lol.

psubills62
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM

I think because the WCO is based more on passing. It's not the fact that it's short passes, it's more the fact that passing/running is closer to a 60/40 split than a 50/50 split. Which may end up haunting us when the bad weather comes around.

Dr. Pepper
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
trent tried that against the steelers. josh reed was lined up 7 yards to the right of him and he launched it about 3 yards behind him.

Bill Cody
09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Honestly that's the first thing coming to my mind when I heard the news. Trent, Walt Harris, AVP, you connect the dot. But it is not a simple change. The routes are very different in design. I just don't know if the Bills have enough time to pull it off.

I bet Belichick is going to see something very different from the past Bills O two Mondays away.

TO played in that offense in SF and Philly, that helps. What doesn't help is it's 10 days to the opener. There just isn't enough practice time. But we have a QB that is good at the short pass and a green OL that will have trouble protecting for 4-5 seconds so the WCO makes a lot of sense for us. There's no law that says we can't run more than the typical WCO either.

Billz_fan
09-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I would welcome some west coast offense here. Quick slants, just get the ball in the recievers hand and let them make plays. Especially TO, he would get his touches for sure.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
The big difference is instead of Turk's "take what they give you" approach, it would be more of "throw to where the receiver should be" approach - typical WCO offense more on a timing route.