PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider to be the single biggest weakness heading into the season?

WG
05-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Given our entire team, coaching, STs, D, O, what aspect of our team do you think is currently the biggest weakness heading into this season presently?

Ebenezer
05-23-2003, 08:40 AM
until he proves differently two words:

grEGG Williams.

clumping platelets
05-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Now that Gregg Williams, et al have a full deck of cards to play with, I do not consider them the weakness.

I believe lack of quality depth on the interior OL to be our major weakness, followed by the lack of depth at S. Coaching is far down my list

TedMock
05-23-2003, 08:46 AM
all of those things are concerns. I voted ST's because they've burned us so many times in the past few seasons. The other major concern to me is OL depth. If the backups don't step up we're screwed. As far as I'm concerned OL is the single (or 5) most important part(s) of the team. Without them working as a unit nothing else works.

Jan Reimers
05-23-2003, 09:01 AM
ST's are still a problem area, particularly KO returns. Shaw and McGhee are supposed to be good PR guys, but are untested with us. And who can return KO's?

WG
05-23-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm curious as to why we haven't signed Conaty yet. He played well I thought two seasons ago. Perhaps not well enough to start, although I would perhaps argue that, but for sure well enough to be counted on as a backup.

I voted for O coaching. I view Gilbride's idiocy as the #1 threat to the welfare and best interests of the team. If he regresses into last seasons tactics, and those that he's largely known for throughout his career, we're gonna screw ourselves out of 2-3 wins on the merits of that alone.

The_Philster
05-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm with you on that, Wys as far as Conaty. We should get him bacjk in the fold but I wonder if they're starting to put most of their eggs in the baskets of Mike Pucillo or Ben Sobieski to be Teague's main reserve at C and save a few $$.

ryjam282
05-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I went with ST's as well. Till they prove to me that they aren't a liability then I have no choice. They have let me down too many times over the years.

HenryRules
05-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Henry's fumbling ... unless we start to use Gary as a short-yardage back, until Henry stops putting the rock on the ground, we're gonna go to the air on 3rd and short.

venis2k1
05-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Henry's fumbling ... unless we start to use Gary as a short-yardage back, until Henry stops putting the rock on the ground, we're gonna go to the air on 3rd and short.

Anyone see the irony that HenryRules posted this?

Billz_fan
05-23-2003, 10:54 PM
none of the above

backup QB

mush69
05-24-2003, 07:14 AM
I have to go with the O-line depth. We don't really have anybody left in the tank if one of these guys go down.

The_Philster
05-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Well...we have Marcus Price at T but until we get someone else at G/C or re-sign Conaty, we do need another two solid players at OL.

HenryRules
05-24-2003, 09:30 AM
V2K1, my views on Henry are prety much that for a second-year back, he has shown the ability to be one of the best ever. However, like a lot of second-year backs, he still has some shortcomings. Until he addresses those shortcomings, he still has some work to do.

G. Host
05-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
all of those things are concerns. I voted ST's because they've burned us so many times in the past few seasons.

I thought Special Teams as well for we went from #1 to almost bottom and the poor special teams have resulted in poorer field position for both offense and defense. I suppose I could blame TD on special teams due to lack of quality players but GW choose the ST coach and allocates who he thinks should be on each team and how much. GW made the big claim that he would not hesitiate to use anybody on ST but did not back it up so I choose him.

G. Host
05-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Now that Gregg Williams, et al have a full deck of cards to play with, I do not consider them the weakness.

Good coaches are those who are able to get the MOST out the players they have - GW has not shown that ability to adapt like Marv Levy and Ted C. did.

It is of course a lot easier to hit a target with a full gun but it takes a lot more skill to hit the target wth only one bullet.

The_Philster
05-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by G. Host

I thought Special Teams as well for we went from #1 to almost bottom and the poor special teams have resulted in poorer field position for both offense and defense. I suppose I could blame TD on special teams due to lack of quality players but GW choose the ST coach and allocates who he thinks should be on each team and how much. GW made the big claim that he would not hesitiate to use anybody on ST but did not back it up so I choose him.

Our drop off in Special Teams started before the current regime...the last few years that DeHaven was here we had a drop off, even...so it wasn't even just Ronnie Jones. DeHaven seemed to be afraid of sending KO returners up the middle at all. They would always go towards the sidelines and, sitting in the end zsone, I frequently saw gaping holes in the middle of the field where we could have sent our return man..but instead, he followed the play call and went to the sideline for a minimal, if any, gain.

BillsFanInMass
05-27-2003, 12:38 PM
I think Mcgahees knee is the biggest weakness on the team just kidding

BillsFanInMass
05-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Actually Van Pelts right arm is weak as hell. He throws ducks...

LABillsFan
05-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Cohesiveness may be one thing we're overlooking. Yes there are questions all around the team and coaching staff, yet through all the ups and downs last year they finished 8-8. With new starters, rookies and Spoon being out of the mix for all of last season, I wonder if they can get it together from the start. The later part of the season is tough, a strong beginning is important in my view so the players have to be well prepared.

mypoorfriendme
05-27-2003, 08:11 PM
i say hands down bledsoes tendency to force balls and choke in big games. we lost a lot of games last year because of terrible decisions. especially in the redzone. and when you cough the ball up instead of getting 7 points. it really hurts the chances of your team winning the game.

BF_in_Indiana
05-28-2003, 12:56 PM
All three are real concerns for me. I just don't have much confidence in the STs (not much has changed as far as personel there) and S is also a concern to me. I mean Izell Reese is probably going to be OK but he has a history of injuries and he isn't exactly a pro bowler.

DE COULD be good if the guys we signed like Jones and McKenzie pan out like they could possibly pan out. Jones could be a sackmaster, but his knee injury concerns me. McKenzie is less of a possibility to be in that mold however. He is a real wild card that I don't know what to make of.

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2003, 01:12 PM
We haven't had a good coach since Chuck Knox.

It was unfair to break coaching down into all those subcategories. Scheme and team management are my biggest concerns.

TacklingDummy
05-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
Actually Van Pelts right arm is weak as hell. He throws ducks...

He played alot better then Canon Arm Rojo when both were together that 1 year.

BillsOwnAll
05-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Henry rules henry wont fumble much this season i GURRANTEE it. he was a rookie but after fumbleing alot last year what do you think he worked on ALL summer. and like i said a thousand times many of the greats fumbled alot there first season. ST is gonna be the issue if we have one.

Tatonka
05-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i say hands down bledsoes tendency to force balls and choke in big games. we lost a lot of games last year because of terrible decisions. especially in the redzone. and when you cough the ball up instead of getting 7 points. it really hurts the chances of your team winning the game.

agreed