PDA

View Full Version : Bills 53-man roster (and analysis) post cutdown

patmoran2006
09-05-2009, 05:50 PM
QB- Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Hamden (3)
RB- Jackson, Omon, McIntrye (3)
WR- Owens, Evans, Reed, Parrish, Johnson, Jenkins (6)
TE: Schouman, Fine, Nelson (3)
OL: Walker, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Butler, Scott, McKinney, Bell (8)
DE: Schobel, Kelsay, Ellis, Maybin, Denney (5)
DT: Stroud, Williams, McCargo, Johnson (4)
LB: Mitchell, Poz, Ellison, Harris, Buggs, Palmer, Corto (7)
CB: McKelvin, McGee, Corner, Youboty, Florence, Lankster (6)
S: Whitner, Scott, Byrd, Wilson, Wendling (5)
ST: Lindell, Moorman, LS (3)

Analysis to come shortly...

realdealryan
09-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Got the analysis covered:

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Pat, Hardy isn't on your WR list...was he put on IR? They didn't cut him, did they???

patmoran2006
09-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Pat, Hardy isn't on your WR list...was he put on IR? They didn't cut him, did they???
PUP and Lynch wil be on the reserve/suspension list.

and forgive me for not even remembering our long snappers name.

more cowbell
09-05-2009, 05:55 PM
who did john wendling blow to be on the roster?

DMBcrew36
09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Hardy was placed on PUP

yordad
I am fairly surprised they cut Stupar and Bryan. I guess I should have expected the Bills to keep Wendling. Afterall, he looked like one of the worst players on the team to me. :(

It isn't a shocker they cut Rhodes, but I thought they would wait til Lynch returned.

And Gez, one more year with Kelsey and Denny. :(

mysticsoto
Personally, I think Florence is too highly paid to be on the bench, and Corner has played excellent and earned the nickel spot. That means Florence isn't going to be doing much most of the time. Though he's ok performancewise, I would have cut him (or traded if the opportunity came up) and made space for Bryan. At this point, we need all the help on the Dline that we can get. We are fine at CB...

yordad
09-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I would trade Corto and Wendling for Byran and Stupar.

psubills62
09-05-2009, 05:58 PM
PUP and Lynch wil be on the reserve/suspension list.

and forgive me for not even remembering our long snappers name.

Garrison Sanborn.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Hardy was placed on PUP

So we'll need to cut another when he returns right? And when Lynch returns also, right? Guess we better hope they can swing a trade w/Parrish by then...for 1 spot.

Mr. Pink
09-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Analysis of that roster?

Did you expect anything different than that?

Really?

The cut of Rhodes and keeping Wendling might be the only surprise.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I would trade Corto and Wendling for Byran and Stupar.

Absolutely. They already get Buggs and Harris for the STs...Corto is taking up a spot that is too valuable!!!

Also, STs has not looked good in preseason. I hope they haven't been showing all that they want to do and have been holding back...they haven't looked good and if Corto is kept and they still look crappy once the season starts, it will just further fuel my anger on keeping the wrong people...

Nighthawk
09-05-2009, 06:06 PM
The ineptness of this organization is astounding!

Yasgur's Farm
09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
So we'll need to cut another when he returns right? And when Lynch returns also, right? Guess we better hope they can swing a trade w/Parrish by then...for 1 spot.Hardy can't be activated until after week 6, Lynch after week 3... When is the trade deadline?

hydro
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Hardy can't be activated until after week 6, Lynch after week 3... When is the trade deadline?

Week 6

YardRat
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Might as well list Corto and Wendling under ST's, because they won't see the field any other time barring catastrophic losses to injury.

Their ST prowess is what earned them their spots on the roster.

I actually typed that without laughing.

Yasgur's Farm
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Week 6
Perfect!

SABURZFAN
09-05-2009, 06:33 PM
The ineptness of this organization is astounding!

9+ years and you think you've seen it all. what a cluster****. :shakeno:

hammerbillsfan
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
:shoothead:

Mad Bomber
09-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Pathetic.

Yasgur's Farm
09-05-2009, 06:53 PM
So many players careers wasted in the past 9 years!

Mr. Pink
09-05-2009, 06:55 PM
So many players careers wasted in the past 9 years!

Like who?

Corto wouldn't have a career at all if it wasn't for the Bills.

Fowler, Reyes had their careers extended thanks to us.

The point I'm making is we've employed numerous guys over the past 9 years who wouldn't collect a paycheck anywhere else.

That's why we suck as bad as we do.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I understand some of the concerns, especially on the offensive side of the ball, call me senile if you like, but our defense is going to be exemplary this year. You're probably going to be looking at Maybin, Williams, Stroud, Schobel, Ellison, Mitchell and Posluszny as our front seven, the only weak link of that bunch is Ellison and he is adequate, the rest of the guys have pro bowl potential. McKelvin looks poised to have a break out season, he has been going up against TO and Lee in practice, so he in my eye's has been steadily improving. Our defense alone should get us 6-7 wins, it all comes down to how our offense plays, we have a very very talented defense.

Dr. Lecter
09-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Lynch is not on the reserve list.

ddaryl
09-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Stupar = practice squad

Copeland is he elidgible for the PS?

Nighthawk
09-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I understand some of the concerns, especially on the offensive side of the ball, call me senile if you like, but our defense is going to be exemplary this year. You're probably going to be looking at Maybin, Williams, Stroud, Schobel, Ellison, Mitchell and Posluszny as our front seven, the only weak link of that bunch is Ellison and he is adequate, the rest of the guys have pro bowl potential. McKelvin looks poised to have a break out season, he has been going up against TO and Lee in practice, so he in my eye's has been steadily improving. Our defense alone should get us 6-7 wins, it all comes down to how our offense plays, we have a very very talented defense.

IMO...Ellison is not adequate.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 07:17 PM
IMO...Ellison is not adequate.

Harris will end up replacing him, no doubt but still, 6/7 of the guys in our front seven are pretty good football players, not to mention our secondary is stacked with talent. I understand people's frustrations with our offense, but still our defense should be pretty damn good.

Yasgur's Farm
09-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Like who?

Corto wouldn't have a career at all if it wasn't for the Bills.

Fowler, Reyes had their careers extended thanks to us.

The point I'm making is we've employed numerous guys over the past 9 years who wouldn't collect a paycheck anywhere else.

That's why we suck as bad as we do.And who did these players replace over that span... Not to mention Moulds... And where do you think Evans would be now if Bellyache were his coach?

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Stupar = practice squad

Copeland is he elidgible for the PS?

No. Copeland is not eligible for PS...

YardRat
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM

:rofl:

literally...

YardRat
09-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I understand people's frustrations with our offense, but still our defense should be pretty damn good.

Did I miss the 'Perry Fewell fired...' thread??

ServoBillieves
09-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Corto and Buggs > Bryan... that's... that's that.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Did I miss the 'Perry Fewell fired...' thread??

I'm sorry, I'm not following you. What do you mean by that?

patmoran2006
09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
No. Copeland is not eligible for PS...
Nope. He is not.

Someone will sign him.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Nope. He is not.

Someone will sign him.

:ill:

yordad
09-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not following you. What do you mean by that?He meant we run the cover 2, so they are likely to still blow games.

yordad
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Corto and Buggs > Bryan... that's... that's that.You mean if you add them together, right?

Actually, I like Buggs, but Corto had no business making this team over Bryan, IMO.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
He meant we run the cover 2, so they are likely to still blow games.

Ah, I see. Still, Jauron built that Chicago defense up while he was there, it may have taken a new coach to take them to the Super Bowl (Lovie Smith) but I'm feeling that history is repeating itself right now. Our defense is looking pretty damn solid right now, with McKelvin, Kyle Williams, Maybin and Posluszny coming on strong, we could be a really tough team to move the ball on, I'm excited about our unit on that side of the ball at the very least. In retrospect, our offense is looking like crap but still, the potential is still there for them as well with Marshawn, TO, Lee & Trent.

Tatonka
09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
so i am lost.. who is it exactly that everyone is really crying over?

i mean.. sure.. bryan played well in the preseason.. he is the 4th/5th string d end who has never really played in the regular season.. maybe someone signs the guy.. maybe they dont..

stupar.. really.. the guy who caught a couple nice passes against guys who are going back to their jobs at mcdonalds?

i mean come on people... get over it..

Mr. Pink
09-05-2009, 08:57 PM
And who did these players replace over that span... Not to mention Moulds... And where do you think Evans would be now if Bellyache were his coach?

Say Evans was in NE...he'd be their 3rd or 4th WR.

Go back to how things were before when they ran guys in and out like Deion Branch for example, Evans would be elsewhere making huge dollars on inflated numbers.

I've never waivered on my stance on Evans. He put up big numbers because he was the only real threat in the offense. Other average WRs have done the same in their career, Kevin Johnson in Cleveland from 99-02.

Moulds is a better example for your point.

But the guys we've had who are legitimately "good" are well below the guys we've had that don't even deserve to collect a paycheck. If you want to start listing names, I can too.

JP, Fowler, Chambers, Kelsay, Denney, Corto, Omon, Justin Jenkins, Tim Anderson - since you wanted to go back to Moulds.

YardRat
09-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm still not impressed with Poz.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 09:07 PM

Really? He's clearly added some muscle, he is looking like TKO out there. I've noticed him batting down some passes as well, I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes up the year with some interceptions.

yordad
09-05-2009, 10:36 PM

i mean.. sure.. bryan played well in the preseason.. he is the 4th/5th string d end who has never really played in the regular season.. maybe someone signs the guy.. maybe they dont..

stupar.. really.. the guy who caught a couple nice passes against guys who are going back to their jobs at mcdonalds?

i mean come on people... get over it..I just think it is clear Bryan should have made this roster.

I think the Bills should have given him some first team reps. I also think the Bills should have given Chris Ellis first team reps. Bryan is 6-4 254lbs, and only 26. He looked more more agile and faster then Kelsey. He made way more plays. He actually played some DT last year on some passing downs, and even tipped a couple of balls in very limited action (if I remember correctly). The only question is, can he do it against 1s?

What could it have hurt. The first team has no pass rush.

Stupar was just cut from the team, and he had more catches during preseason then any other player in the NFL. First! He was 6th in yards.

Does that say he is the best receiver in the NFL? No, it doesn't. I know he did it vs backups. It just shows he is capable. I think he spent a year on the Patriots practice squad, and it shows. I'm just saying, he didn't look overwhelmed like most rookie tightends.

And, the big thing, productive. The Bills haven't had a tight end be productive like that in the passing game in quite some time. And he did it on limited reps.

To top it off, I don't think he had a bad game 5. He dropped a pass where he was spinning to catch it because it was thrown behind him, and the other two passes were logged as pass defensed. He also had 4 catches, and showed hustle, toughness, and soft hands.

Mr. Pink
09-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't even understand why Stupar got so many reps.

There was no way he was making the team no matter what he did.

It was obvious from the start he wouldn't make the final 53.

yordad
09-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh, he and Shawn Nelson were the only two on the entire Bills team to catch a TD pass. That's gotta count for something too. :chuckle:

It was in the GreenBay game, and he caught it after a nice route and with some dude all over him.

yordad
09-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm still not impressed with Poz.Poz is a beast, IMO. He was essentially a rookie last year (in game played, anyways). I think he is going to be a monster this year. I don't think he was named captain, but I wouldn't doubt it if he assumes the role anyways.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Poz is a beast, IMO. He was essentially a rookie last year (in game played, anyways). I think he is going to be a monster this year. I don't think he was named captain, but I wouldn't doubt it if he assumes the role anyways.

People can complain all they like but we have two beastly linebackers in Poz & Mitch, our D-line isn't that bad either. We got two pro bowlers starting for us in Schobel & Stroud, paired up with a 1st round pick who has looked solid and a 5th round pick who has completely over achieved through his whole career, I'm stoked about the possiblities we have on defense. Two PSU studs in our front 7, good things are ahead for Buffalo, yeaah baby.

yordad
09-05-2009, 10:58 PM

It was obvious from the start he wouldn't make the final 53.I guess you're right, so I agree.

elltrain22
09-05-2009, 11:18 PM
to cut Bryan and Stupar, and keep Wendling and Kelsay just completely reiterates that we're retarted.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 11:21 PM
to cut Bryan and Stupar, and keep Wendling and Kelsay just completely reiterates that we're retarted.

The Wendling move is justifiable, he is great on special teams. There are times where teams sacrifice a guy who is a better position player for somebody who is a special teams all star, that much is not uncommon.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 11:23 PM

Irrelevant. The whole pt is that he produced and his only weakness (which all our
TEs have) is his blocking. He should have beat out Fine. But b'cse they drafted Fine - they favor him.

psubills62
09-05-2009, 11:24 PM

i mean come on people... get over it..

Copeland Bryan showed improvement over last year. I see it more as he could be a part of a core of young DE's that would be promoted in the future. Bryan should have made the roster easily over Denney AND Kelsay. They offer nothing now and nothing for the future. Copeland Bryan could at least be a decent rotational DE in the future.

My thought was that a couple years down the road we'd have Maybin as the starting RDE, Ellis as the backup RDE, a high draft pick as the starting LDE and Bryan as the backup LDE.

Not spectacular, but better than what we've had for the past how many years? The fact that the coaches consistently refuse to release Kelsay or Denney has really pissed me off today.

bigbub2352
09-05-2009, 11:35 PM
i hope the closed meeting went like this:
Skeletor u either win or ur fired
Russ u either win or ur fired
Studesville AVP combo u win or ur fired
u get 1 game and oh yeah its the Pats on national TV monday night Bradys return, and u know how well we fare in there type games!!! good luck we are all counting on u
The fact that Kelsay or denney ,McYntre, Wilson, Corto, Jenkins ,Buggs, jonathan Scott make this roster
and Chambers, Rhodes, Bowen, Bryan,stupar didnt make it shows to me
how bad we draft
how bad we sign
how bad we evaluate talent
how bad our decision making is
all in a nutshell
way to go guys way to go

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 11:52 PM
i hope the closed meeting went like this:
Skeletor u either win or ur fired
Russ u either win or ur fired
Studesville AVP combo u win or ur fired
u get 1 game and oh yeah its the Pats on national TV monday night Bradys return, and u know how well we fare in there type games!!! good luck we are all counting on u
The fact that Kelsay or denney ,McYntre, Wilson, Corto, Jenkins ,Buggs, jonathan Scott make this roster
and Chambers, Rhodes, Bowen, Bryan,stupar didnt make it shows to me
how bad we draft
how bad we sign
how bad we evaluate talent
how bad our decision making is
all in a nutshell
way to go guys way to go

Unfortunately, past experience leads me to believe, it went like this:

Skeletor I'm extending your contract another 3-5 yrs.
Russ, keep finding avg talent in the drafts.
AVP/Studesville try to figure out a way to make the offense more inept.

Oh and lastly, make sure we lock in Kelsay for another 5 years.

patmoran2006
09-05-2009, 11:54 PM
neither am I..He's been very average.

however, I give him this year to step his game up. .He was essentially a rookie last year. At least he has upside.

Now Whitner on the other hand...

patmoran2006
09-05-2009, 11:56 PM

yeah.. If leading the NFL in preseason receptions (he did) doesnt earn you a roster spot, you have to wonder why the Bills bothered giving him so many reps.

I guess they were "saving" the explosion that is Schouman for the regular season.

Tatonka
09-06-2009, 12:07 AM
how bout this.. if bryan gets signed and gets 1 sack this year, you can have all my zone bucks.. if stupar gets signed.. and catches 2 passes or more this year.. you can have all my zone bucks.. if neither gets signed or doesnt meet the lofty requirements above.. you give me your zone bucks..

any takers?

patmoran2006
09-06-2009, 12:13 AM
how bout this.. if bryan gets signed and gets 1 sack this year, you can have all my zone bucks.. if stupar gets signed.. and catches 2 passes or more this year.. you can have all my zone bucks.. if neither gets signed or doesnt meet the lofty requirements above.. you give me your zone bucks..

any takers?
Your tempting me man.. I am fairly certain Copeland Bryan will be on a NFL roster in the next 48 hours..

yordad
09-06-2009, 12:16 AM

any takers?I'm tempted too. But, look at the Bills. Whose tightends and whose DEs are worse?

Lexwhat
09-06-2009, 12:39 AM

any takers?

Yes... However, let's go tit-for-tat.

4,200 zone bucks to you if I lose.

Deal?

jamze132
09-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Belichick would be smart to treat the opener as another pre-season game and let Brady play a series or two. That will be all it takes to beat this outstanding douche of a lineup.

Tatonka
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Your tempting me man.. I am fairly certain Copeland Bryan will be on a NFL roster in the next 48 hours..
yeah.. he might makes someones roster and.. be active for a handful of games.. but i dont see him getting any sacks.

look.. the guy looked like he tried hard and made a couple plays against back ups.. i wouldn't call myself a denny or kelsay fan.. but i also don't think that bryan is better than them. sorry. i just don't.

none of the guys we cut today are going to make a difference for any team in the nfl.

Tatonka
09-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Yes... However, let's go tit-for-tat.

4,200 zone bucks to you if I lose.

Deal?

that is fine. so you are betting that both make it? if so, then lets do half and half on the zone bucks.

jamze132
09-06-2009, 01:00 AM
none of the guys we cut today are going to make a difference for any team in the nfl.

You better hope Rhodes doesn't go to NE then...

Lexwhat
09-06-2009, 01:20 AM
that is fine. so you are betting that both make it? if so, then lets do half and half on the zone bucks.

I thought your original post said that if neither make it, then you get my Zone Bucks?

But no big deal -- it's just zone bucks, haha...

I guess we have 2 separate bets then:
(a) Bryan getting 1 sack or more this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.
(b) Stupar getting 2 or more catches this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.

It's a deal. And just to keep it real with you, those stats have to be in the NFL.

...Hopefully these 2 scrubs are taken in by some team in the NFL.

mysticsoto
09-06-2009, 08:43 AM

NE doesn't need RBs. They got Maroney, Faulk and Fred Taylor that they picked up in the offseason. From everything I've read, Taylor is looking pretty good too.

Tatonka
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM

go to new england and what? reveal the secrets of our piss poor offense???

Tatonka
09-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I thought your original post said that if neither make it, then you get my Zone Bucks?

But no big deal -- it's just zone bucks, haha...

I guess we have 2 separate bets then:
(a) Bryan getting 1 sack or more this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.
(b) Stupar getting 2 or more catches this year -- 2100 Zone Bucks.

It's a deal. And just to keep it real with you, those stats have to be in the NFL.

...Hopefully these 2 scrubs are taken in by some team in the NFL.

sounds good.

SABURZFAN
09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

:chuckle:

TigerJ
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Just in case anyone missed it, Copeland Bryan is now a Detroit Lion. Now he just needs a sack to swing one of your bets, Tatonka.

Lexwhat
09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
sounds good.

Well -- Stupar just ended up on our Practice Squad.

Looks like I'll lose that half of the bet, just by Default.

yordad
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I figured the way it was worded that if one does it, it is a push. If neither does it, Tatonka wins, and if both do it Lexwhat wins.

Lex, don't count Stupar out. Our tightends are fairly undersized, and we basically start two. If one gets injured, Stupar will likely be actived and dressed the very next game. So, basically they have to go the year without a tight end injury.

We haven't heard the last from Stupar!!

mysticsoto
09-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I figured the way it was worded that if one does it, it is a push. If neither does it, Tatonka wins, and if both do it Lexwhat wins.

Lex, don't count Stupar out. Our tightends are fairly undersized, and we basically start two. If one gets injured, Stupar will likely be actived and dressed the very next game. So, basically they have to go the year without a tight end injury.

On that same note, an injury on another's roster may have a team pull him from our PS. :(

Lexwhat
09-09-2009, 02:11 AM

I honestly have no idea if Stupar will dress for a game this year. With Shawn Nelson as part of our roster now, it would take an injury to either Schouman or Fine to get Stupar in the lineup. I don't recall Schouman being injured last year, but I think Fine was.

...I can only hope Stupar gets his 2 catches...

yordad
09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
With such a young line, I gotta figure the Bills will run the 2 TE set even more now.