PDA

View Full Version : Two guys cut like to see here

The Jokeman
09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I know it's highly unlikely we'd sign either one but love to sign NT Chartric Darby
and TE Alex Smith. As to me Darby represents a solid veteran who might be an upgrade to Kevin Williams or at least a rotational guy that would serve a greater purpose then CB Ashton Yobouty. Smith to me is an upgrade over Derek Schouman and has some history with Trent Edwards as both played together at Stanford. Not to mention could offer some small incite into what the Patriots might be looking to do in Week 1.

TigerJ
09-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I know it's highly unlikely we'd sign either one but love to sign NT Chartric Darby
and TE Alex Smith. As to me Darby represents a solid veteran who might be an upgrade to Kevin Williams or at least a rotational guy that would serve a greater purpose then CB Ashton Yobouty. Smith to me is an upgrade over Derek Schouman and has some history with Trent Edwards as both played together at Stanford. Not to mention could offer some small incite into what the Patriots might be looking to do in Week 1.

I presume you mean Kyle Williams.

The Jokeman
09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I presume you mean Kyle Williams.
Whoops indeed Kyle. It's not that I hate the kid I just think he's better off as a reserve then a starter.

Mitchell55
09-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I would love both. Still would rather Greg Ellis

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Nah, Kyle Williams is a better player than Darby, if we did sign Darby it'd be to replace McCargo.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Nah, Kyle Williams is a better player than Darby, if we did sign Darby it'd be to replace McCargo.

??? McCargo has been stepping it up lately. I wouldn't be too quick to write him off. He certainly has a higher potential threshold than Kyle Williams whom I believe we've seen the best he can give us. Kyle is a hard worker, but let's face it. He's limited in what he can do and I don't think will get any better from here on.

Next year, if Maybin produces decently, we may need to draft a DT as our #1 pick (assuming Dick is still here). Until we get an awesome penetrating, havoc-creating Dline, this cover 2 will never work. And Stroud's time is likely coming to an end soon.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 09:00 PM
??? McCargo has been stepping it up lately. I wouldn't be too quick to write him off. He certainly has a higher potential threshold than Kyle Williams whom I believe we've seen the best he can give us. Kyle is a hard worker, but let's face it. He's limited in what he can do and I don't think will get any better from here on.

Next year, if Maybin produces decently, we may need to draft a DT as our #1 pick (assuming Dick is still here). Until we get an awesome penetrating, havoc-creating Dline, this cover 2 will never work. And Stroud's time is likely coming to an end soon.

The fact that we tried to ship McCargo out for as little as a 4th round pick after all we've invested in him says it all. Potential doesn't equal production, we've learned that from JP Losman, Kyle has been productive from the start. I'm not sure why Bills fans are so eager to replace him, we've been shutting down the run with him in there. Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if Williams becomes our top DT this year, above Stroud. I'm thinking that he can be a Kelley Gregg type of player, very stout at the point of attack and a great technician, one of our more cerebral players on defense for sure.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 09:12 PM
The fact that we tried to ship McCargo out for as little as a 4th round pick after all we've invested in him says it all. Potential doesn't equal production, we've learned that from JP Losman, Kyle has been productive from the start. I'm not sure why Bills fans are so eager to replace him, we've been shutting down the run with him in there. Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if Williams becomes our top DT this year, above Stroud. I'm thinking that he can be a Kelley Gregg type of player, very stout at the point of attack and a great technician, one of our more cerebral players on defense for sure.

McCargo has looked good in preseason and has high potential. His previous problem appeared to be with his coach and that problem is removed right now. But I'll agree in that this year should be the year to decide about McCargo. If he doesn't step it up - that's it. No more chances.

On Kyle, I think he's tried very hard and over-achieved for a 5th rd pick. But I really can't see him doing more than what he has done up to now. He doesn't have overpowering physical attributes and gets an occasional rush or hurry. But I think that's the best we are going to see of him. Which is why I'd like a new high caliber DT to place next to Stroud before Stroud's time is up. This is of course, assuming that Maybin becomes what we think he will become. Schobel's time is almost up also. He seems to be producing less and less and is probably overpaid for the current performance he has produced as of late. Perhaps having Maybin on the other side will help him this year, but this is why I'm so angry that Kelsay and Denney were retained and Bryan let go. I'm for letting the young guys develop if they've shown improvement. Both Ellis and Bryan have shown improvement and deserve a chance to continue. Kelsay and Denney have leveled off and just can't do more than what they currently do.

I'm not advocating dumping Kyle by the way. If anything, Spencer would probably be the 1st to go, as he's kind of underachieved. I'd just like our Dline to be as formidable as the Giants is every year...

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Apparently the Eagles are showing strong interest in Alex Smith. He has a better chance at putting up good numbers in an offense that is pass 1st and with a weak TE situation...I'm betting he ends up there.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 09:17 PM
McCargo has looked good in preseason and has high potential. His previous problem appeared to be with his coach and that problem is removed right now. But I'll agree in that this year should be the year to decide about McCargo. If he doesn't step it up - that's it. No more chances.

On Kyle, I think he's tried very hard and over-achieved for a 5th rd pick. But I really can't see him doing more than what he has done up to now. He doesn't have overpowering physical attributes and gets an occasional rush or hurry. But I think that's the best we are going to see of him. Which is why I'd like a new high caliber DT to place next to Stroud before Stroud's time is up. This is of course, assuming that Maybin becomes what we think he will become. Schobel's time is almost up also. He seems to be producing less and less and is probably overpaid for the current performance he has produced as of late. Perhaps having Maybin on the other side will help him this year, but this is why I'm so angry that Kelsay and Denney were retained and Bryan let go. I'm for letting the young guys develop if they've shown improvement. Both Ellis and Bryan have shown improvement and deserve a chance to continue. Kelsay and Denney have leveled off and just can't do more than what they currently do.

I'm not advocating dumping Kyle by the way. If anything, Spencer would probably be the 1st to go, as he's kind of underachieved. I'd just like our Dline to be as formidable as the Giants is every year...

McCargo and Williams were drafted in the same year, both had the same coaching. Certainly I'd like to see what McCargo can do rotating in with Spencer but Williams has been the better DT for us thus far, hands down.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Tim Crowder was released by Denver? Anyone think we should take a look at him?

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 09:25 PM
McCargo and Williams were drafted in the same year, both had the same coaching. Certainly I'd like to see what McCargo can do rotating in with Spencer but Williams has been the better DT for us thus far, hands down.

Certainly, you are right. I'm speaking of potential. I think we've seen the best Kyle can do, while I don't think we've seen the best of McCargo yet. Perhaps this is all speculation on my part though...

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Certainly, you are right. I'm speaking of potential. I think we've seen the best Kyle can do, while I don't think we've seen the best of McCargo yet. Perhaps this is all speculation on my part though...

Oh yeah, the potential is there if healthy, which is also a big if for me now as well. I'm questioning why he failed his physical, was it cause of laziness or chronic back problems? Oddly enough, I remember a former Colt's career being cut short due to chronic back issues in Corey Simon, hopefully that isn't even remotely the case with McCargo because he certainly flashed brilliance against Philly years back.

mysticsoto
09-05-2009, 11:48 PM
DE Marcus Howard has been released by the Colts. He might fit into Jauron's 'undersized DE that can collapse a pocket' perfectly. Oh, but I forgot, why do we need him when we have Kelsay and Denney...