PDA

View Full Version : Wilson calls Bills staff to his house for a meeting.

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Got a phone call around 11:00 Eastern from a source at espn radio saying that there was a rumor that Ralphie called the staff to his home today for a meeting...

yet to be confirmed. stay tuned.

now its confirmed. on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4449839

Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) owner Ralph Wilson Jr. summoned head coach Dick Jauron, along with general manager Russ Brandon and two assistant coaches, for a conference at his Detroit home on Saturday after a tumultuous preseason that resulted in the firing of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, according to team sources.
Wilson conducted a give-and-take session on the team's direction after the Bills' offense sputtered during a 1-4 preseason, sources said. In addition to Jauron and Brandon, Wilson also met with the Bills' new play-caller, quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt, and Eric Studesville, running back coach and running game coordinator.
Substantive details of the confab are unknown but Wilson always has been a hands-on owner.
"I will neither confirm nor deny that there was a meeting," said Scott Berchtold, the Bills Vice President of Communications.
Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:05 PM
its on espn.com so its legit.

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4449839

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Wonder what its about... I can only guess that he told them something along the lines of "your ass is grass if you don't turn this ship around and win me some football games."

Scumbag College
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't like it when owners start bothering their coaches. It's always bad news.

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't like it when owners start bothering their coaches. It's always bad news.

The problem is that our coaches probably need someone to bother them...

Billz_fan
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Wait !!

Is Ralph concerned about the teams performance in preseason ? Doesn't he know it doesn't matter ? I mean first they fire the OC and now this. Seems nobody told Ralph it doesn't matter. huh

BSU Drew

Or good news in the case... win games or get the **** out!!

Scumbag College
The problem is that our coaches probably need someone to bother them...

Yeah, but as rotten as Dick is, you don't need a 90 year old owner meddling with the team nine days before opening day. It's just piling on the bus to cluster****ville.

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, but as rotten as Dick is, you don't need a 90 year old owner meddling with the team nine days before opening day. It's just piling on the bus to cluster****ville.
I have to disagree, but only slightly.

I think that if this was any other franchise you would be right. Just let it be and let the coaches do what theyre hired to do and dont meddle.

but with the Bills the situation is just so f'd up that you kind of have to step in and let them know that this will not stand. Maybe it lights a fire under the coaches' asses and gets us some wins. Lets face it, we have nowhere to go but up after this whole abomination of a offseason.

The only good things to happen this offseason were back in the spring. A solid draft and T.O. but even that wasnt enough to help us rise over our awful coaching.

the FO doesnt listen to the fans, and neither do the coaches but maybe if Ralph has seen the problems with this team, maybe meddling will help alittle...

HHURRICANE
09-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I feel bad for Wilson. Nobody saw this coming. It's shocking that a coach that started at 5-1 is the first guy in NFL history to finish with a losing season. Not firing him was really the best decision so how could this be happening? Things should be going great.

Turf
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I'd like to see Ralph do his last big deed before he goes and get Cowher on the phone ASAP. Do it and get it over with, it can't get any worse. He's got the cash. Do one more great thing. We can still make the playoffs.

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd like to see Ralph do his last big deed before he goes and get Cowher on the phone ASAP. Do it and get it over with, it can't get any worse. He's got the cash. Do one more great thing. We can still make the playoffs.

not by bringing in a new HC 9 days until regular season kick off. We wouldnt win a single game.

We'll have to wait things out until after this season. Then we can get a GOOD coach.

HHURRICANE
09-05-2009, 10:33 PM
In Japan this owner would have already killed himself. Maybe we could suggest that Ralph do the honorable thing. This is 100% his fault.

Billz_fan
09-05-2009, 10:36 PM
not by bringing in a new HC 9 days until regular season kick off. We wouldnt win a single game.

We'll have to wait things out until after this season. Then we can get a GOOD coach.

Sadly for us to get a good coach Ralph is going to have to "break form" from his usual coach hiring procedure and open his wallet a little bit.

sdbillsfan2
09-05-2009, 10:36 PM

I never had the opinion that Bill Cowher could be had for money. If and when he comes back I can see him staying near home in Carolina. Besides , let's be real why would he want to coach here with this front office and team ?

ddaryl
09-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Accept this situation

Maybe Ralph is starting to come alive

maybe he is finally listening to us fans who are sick and tired of this crap

Maybe just Maybe Ralph will shoot his last wad on Cowher (ewwwwww) (after DJ blows it this year (double ewwww)

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 10:41 PM
It's a trap, it's going to be like the Valentine's Day Massacre. Old senile Ralphie has lost ye marbles, he is going to unload 180 rounds from his lil friend. muahahahahahaha

!Papacrunk!
09-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm sure it's nothing--probably just taking stock of what the team's game plan is

Commissioner
09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Perhaps Ralph doesn't want to be a Hall of Fame Owner who hasn't one a Superbowl.

PECKERWOOD
09-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm sure it's nothing--probably just taking stock of what the team's game plan is

lol ya right dude

The meeting will start off with Ralphie sitting on his leather sofa, putting on his socks and shoes like Mr. Rogers. Dick Jauron tries to sit himself down next to Ralph in which Ralphie quickly snaps: "Did I tell you, you could sit down?" Then he karate chops him in the jugular, Dick Jauron grabs his neck while blood spurts out violently everywhere, murmered cries fill the room along with Ralph's maniacal laughter. Russ Brandon then tries to make a break for the door, in which case the door shuts just before he can escape. Ralph strangles Russ with his own underwear and the Buffalo Bills finish the season victorious as Super Bowl winners in accordance with our 50 year anniversary. I hope this explains things for you, the Buffalo Bills are going to decimate the NFL in to a bloody mist.

Philagape
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Remember that Marv Levy replaced Hank in the middle of the 86 season ....

BillsWin
09-05-2009, 11:09 PM
lol ya right dude

The meeting will start off with Ralphie sitting on his leather sofa, putting on his socks and shoes like Mr. Rogers. Dick Jauron tries to sit himself down next to Ralph in which Ralphie quickly snaps: "Did I tell you, you could sit down?" Then he karate chops him in the jugular, Dick Jauron grabs his neck while blood spurts out violently everywhere, murmered cries fill the room along with Ralph's maniacal laughter. Russ Brandon then tries to make a break for the door, in which case the door shuts just before he can escape. Ralph strangles Russ with his own underwear and the Buffalo Bills finish the season victorious as Super Bowl winners in accordance with our 50 year anniversary. I hope this explains things for you, the Buffalo Bills are going to decimate the NFL in to a bloody mist.

you're a crazy mother ******.

elltrain22
09-05-2009, 11:15 PM
if he doesn't fire Jauron then its not news to me. Until he gets rid of this joke of a coaching staff, I'm gonna remain 100% negative about the direction of this team.

jimbohastle51
09-05-2009, 11:19 PM
i am willing to bet that ralph gave jauron the "you got 4 games which is a quarter of the season, and if we are not at least 2-2 or 3-1, bye bye"

more cowbell
09-05-2009, 11:30 PM
its about time wilson finally spoke up if this is true.

sick and tired of this team not having a pulse and having such a passive attitude.

psubills62
09-05-2009, 11:33 PM
People rip on Wilson for being satisfied with mediocrity, but then if they think he's trying to motivate the coaches by reminding them that their jobs are on the line...then he's meddling?

I know the best thing would have been for him to fire Jauron a long time ago...but at this point, I certainly don't mind Wilson giving Jauron something to think about to start the season. Look at what happened last season when Jauron thought his job was on the line...until he signed the extension.

JJamezz
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Hey Ralph, last January called...

rcd333
09-06-2009, 12:10 AM
all this is about 6 months too late.

Meathead
09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
People rip on Wilson for being satisfied with mediocrity, but then if they think he's trying to motivate the coaches by reminding them that their jobs are on the line...then he's meddling?

I know the best thing would have been for him to fire Jauron a long time ago...but at this point, I certainly don't mind Wilson giving Jauron something to think about to start the season. Look at what happened last season when Jauron thought his job was on the line...until he signed the extension.
this is about the best way we could look at this so thank you

as much as i generally like ralph, i am struggling to give him that much credit in this case

he really should have relieved dick last winter. and since he didnt, it now feels like meddling. hes compounding one mistake with another and setting up the overly dramatic detonation hes oversaw many times in the past

i hope it at least gets us the biggest name since chuck knox. personally i hope its marty. and i wouldnt mind at all if he did it any time now

unfortunately i think its gonna be bobby. and thats not nearly as much a knock on bobby as it is my fatigue with green hcs. if its dick or bobby ill take bobby. but id rather have marty

PECKERWOOD
09-06-2009, 01:43 AM
you're a crazy mother ******.

Ralph ejaculates a long thin black worm in to his socks and throws them on to the floor like "suge" from "There's No Country For Old Men" and rushes out in to the courtfield of his manison and scales over a moss draped stone wall. ........... THE END.

Novacane
09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Ralph now knows he should have made a change after the season. This meeting just tells me Dick isn't even going to make it through the year

HHURRICANE
09-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Remember that Marv Levy replaced Hank in the middle of the 86 season ....

Your avatar is just awesome!!

realdealryan
09-06-2009, 08:23 AM
i am willing to bet that ralph gave jauron the "you got 4 games which is a quarter of the season, and if we are not at least 2-2 or 3-1, bye bye"

I'll take that bet. Last year we were undefeated after 4 games; no way on earth that he thinks he can evaluate DJ after such a short period again.

Dr. Lecter
09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
In Japan this owner would have already killed himself. Maybe we could suggest that Ralph do the honorable thing. This is 100% his fault.
Stay classy.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Stay classy.

Sorry, but this team sucks because the owner is a cheap butt hole. He lost his benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

Dr. Lecter
09-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry, but this team sucks because the owner is a cheap butt hole. He lost his benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

Quote a bit different than saying "kill yourself"

And he might be cheap with coaches, but not players. This has been proven countless times.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Quote a bit different than saying "kill yourself"

And he might be cheap with coaches, but not players. This has been proven countless times.

We are at the bottom of cap spending the last 2 years. #32!!

So how is he generous with the roster?

Cleve
09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
all this is about 6 months too late.

Yeah, I think **** canning Shonert was the right decision - but at a horribly bad time. The time for this was January, not now. And the entire coaching staff should have gone - not just Shonert.

I still wonder who actually made this decision - Jauron or Wilson? As others have written, it has the earmarks of the sort of bizarre, almost inexplicable meddling we've seen from Wilson during the entire playoff drought.

DMBcrew36
09-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Accept this situation

Maybe Ralph is starting to come alive

maybe he is finally listening to us fans who are sick and tired of this crap

Maybe just Maybe Ralph will shoot his last wad on Cowher (ewwwwww) (after DJ blows it this year (double ewwww)

Yeah good to see Wilson is as fed up as we are and as concerned as we are. He may very well be signaling the removal of Jauron and his staff in the near future and the possibility of finally bringing in a proven coach.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah good to see Wilson is as fed up as we are and as concerned as we are. He may very well be signaling the removal of Jauron and his staff in the near future and the possibility of finally bringing in a proven coach.

I'd rather keep Jauron because the next guy will be April, Van Pelt or some other unproven wipe.

The chances of a high profile guy showing up in Buffalo and being willing to work with this FO is unlikely. Second there is no chance that Wilson would ever make the call.

We are all about saving money and having good net income. None of you seem to understand the economics of how this team is run. My kingdom for an accountant on this board.

Cleve
09-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Well, timing is everything. If he'd done this in January, I would have approved. But waiting until 8 days before the season starts is a stupid move.

Wilson should also remember that you get what you pay for. You can't make a Sows ear of a coach (Jauron) into a Silk Purse (Belichek) by simply giving him a reaming.

It would be analogous to Wilson buying a Chevy Malibu, and then getting furious at the car because he got owned in a traffic light drag race by a Mustang GT. Ralph could yell at his dream Malibu all day long, and make all sorts of threats- it's not gonna make it any faster in the Quarter Mile.

Right now, Ralph, you bought us a Chevy Malibu of a head coach. He should ***** at the sales person - Marv Levy.

Cleve
09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
We are all about saving money and having good net income. None of you seem to understand the economics of how this team is run. My kingdom for an accountant on this board.

I completely agree, HHURRICANE. Almost every one of Ralph Wilson's decisions in the last 10 years have been more about saving money then building a championship team. We end up being the Isle of Misfit Coaches in Buffalo because Wilson won't pay even the AVERAGE salary of a winning coach in this league.

I don't know the exact figures, but I would be willing to bet that Wilson will end up saving a few hundred thousand by firing Shonert, and bumping Van Pelt up to the post. Color me cynical, but I always think that the penny-pinching mentality is the primary motivator of any and all decisions in Buffalo.

SABURZFAN
09-06-2009, 10:44 AM

neither do i but i think this what is needed. the inept preseason drew a lot of red flags.

Night Train
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh the irony.

Ralph created this complete mess by retaining Jauron... and now he's not happy. :rolleyes:

X-Era
09-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Id rather us grab Shanahan or Cowher before the offseason when we will have competition.

Theres no one battling for their services right now.

X-Era
09-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh the irony.

Ralph created this complete mess by retaining Jauron... and now he's not happy. :rolleyes:
All of his moves are doddering... Hes old and not so coherent any more.

Anyone who would fire Polian doesn't know what it takes to win.

BillsWin
09-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Brian Billick... or Cowher. I would LOVE Cowher because he screams Buffalo, but I doubt he'd come here. Billick is an excellent choice as well...

X-Era
09-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Brian Billick... or Cowher. I would LOVE Cowher because he screams Buffalo, but I doubt he'd come here. Billick is an excellent choice as well...

Id be happy with either.

I want a guy with a SB ring to lead this team... any of those 3 will do.

T-Long
09-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't understand when people say Ralph is cheap. How is he cheap? They are constantly adding free agents and aren't shy to give a big contract. Is he cheap with coaches? ABSOLUTELY. Just not overall

X-Era
09-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't understand when people say Ralph is cheap. How is he cheap? They are constantly adding free agents and aren't shy to give a big contract. Is he cheap with coaches? ABSOLUTELY. Just not overall

He aint Snyder... hes actually just a fool with how he uses his money.

Typ0
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't understand when people say Ralph is cheap. How is he cheap? They are constantly adding free agents and aren't shy to give a big contract. Is he cheap with coaches?
ABSOLUTELY. Just not overall

Because player salaries are supplemented with revenue sharing. I don't know how many times it has to be said that spending 85% of the cap is not an indication that RW is willing to go the distance with the pocketbook to field a winner. Furthermore, he has no impetus to as long as fans are coming out of the woodwork for his crappy teams.

X-Era
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Because player salaries are supplemented with revenue sharing. I don't know how many times it has to be said that spending 85% of the cap is not an indication that RW is willing to go the distance with the pocketbook to field a winner. Furthermore, he has no impetus to as long as fans are coming out of the woodwork for his crappy teams.

Russ is a marketing genius.

He manages to fill the stands by doing just enough to have you think it could be a better year.... and then we under-perform and he does it again.

ddaryl
09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd rather keep Jauron because the next guy will be April, Van Pelt or some other unproven wipe.

The chances of a high profile guy showing up in Buffalo and being willing to work with this FO is unlikely. Second there is no chance that Wilson would ever make the call.

WTF dude... you are preaching to the choir. DO you honestly beleive any of us have faith in Ralph to do us right

That doesn't mean where not going to hope and pray

also I'll take a pre schooler over Jauron.. I want Jauron gone because we know without a doubt Jauron can't coach. if the best Ralph does is April or AVP then at least it sin't Jauron/ It wasn't like we were going to win more then 7 games this year anyways...

Cleve
09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Russ is a marketing genius.

He manages to fill the stands by doing just enough to have you think it could be a better year.... and then we under-perform and he does it again.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a GM that was interested in winning a football championship rather than just simply optimizing demand/price charts?

Making a profit is important - but it isn't (or shouldn't be) the only thing that matters.

trapezeus
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
please no billick....he's just another jauron who happened to win a superbowl because his defense was awesome. the guy was an offensive guru yet had some of the worst offenses in the league.

billick would piss me off more than jauron. because billick is just a decoy where they can pay a superbowl winning coach less than a great coach and he'll be just as awful as jauron.

ddaryl
09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a GM that was interested in winning a football championship rather than just simply optimizing demand/price charts?

Making a profit is important - but it isn't (or shouldn't be) the only thing that matters.

Russ hasn't been horrible, his drafts since he has been at the wheel have appeared to be better then the years before, and he just got a draft pick for Ko. Overall he has not been a problem as much we thought when he was 1st announced IMO

Top FA's don't want to come to Buffalo because of our coaching choices and record for the last decade, and we ALL KNOW Ralph is a cheap wad in regards to coaching.

Williams Mularkey Jauron all cheaper options and we got what we paid for.

HOWEVER who's idea was it to extend Jauron last year....

ddaryl
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
My dream is Cowher, and no other option out there is better IMO. Cowher would have this team playing with heart and intensity.

but Dungy, and Gruden would be upgrades as well

ParanoidAndroid
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Mike Holmgren, please. Thank you.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/13/mike-holmgren-ill-be-back-in-2010/

Van Pelt could actually run Holmgren's offense well and it would fit perfectly with Trent's strengths. Who he would bring in to run the D, I don't know. His teams never had dominating defenses and that's what kept him from getting more rings.

SabreEleven
09-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I feel bad for Wilson. Nobody saw this coming. It's shocking that a coach that started at 5-1 is the first guy in NFL history to finish with a losing season. Not firing him was really the best decision so how could this be happening? Things should be going great.

This has to be the most flipping in one thread in the history of the internet.

BillsWin
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
The sky isn't falling yet. Like another thread stated, we are 0-0 right now. We can make predictions based on what weve seen so far, yet you never know. Noone expected a 1-15 team to completely turn their franchise around practically overnight and make the playoffs the next year.

Im not happy right now, but must reserve judgment until we play in the regular season.

Philagape
09-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Unproven wipe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dick.

Dick is a proven wipe.

PECKERWOOD
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Ok, so this is how the meeting ended up going down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lak0__k8icw

SABURZFAN
09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh the irony.

:chuckle:

SABURZFAN
09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
My dream is Cowher, and no other option out there is better IMO. Cowher would have this team playing with heart and intensity.

but Dungy, and Gruden would be upgrades as well

a coach from Division III would be an upgrade. hell, give me the best high school coach in WNY.

Mike13
09-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Why the **** would Cowher give up a cushy job and lose millions to rebuild Buffalo?

It's shocking that a coach that started at 5-1 is the first guy in NFL history to finish with a losing season

Its not so shocking when your name is Dick Juaron.

SABURZFAN
09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Why the **** would Cowher give up a cushy job and lose millions to rebuild Buffalo?

that's the beauty of these dreamers. they just spout out a bunch of crap without thoroughly thinking it over. not to mention that Cowher will want to do things HIS way and the Old Fart won't let that happen.

if you listen close, you'll hear Kenny Nolan singing in the background.... "I like dreaming...."

PECKERWOOD
09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
that's the beauty of these dreamers. they just spout out a bunch of crap without thoroughly thinking it over. not to mention that Cowher will want to do things HIS way and the Old Fart won't let that happen.

if you listen close, you'll hear Kenny Nolan singing in the background.... "I like dreaming...."

Gruden is a possibility and is a hell of a coach, he's already publicly stated that he would like to coach here.

SABURZFAN
09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Gruden is a possibility and is a hell of a coach, he's already publicly stated that he would like to coach here.

maybe so but will the Old Fart make a competitive wage to get him here? i'll be VERY surprised if he does. like Cowher, i think Gruden would like to run a team without meddling from the upper organization and the owner. will that happen? again, i'll be surprised if that happens too.

BillsWin
09-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Id sell almost all my wordly goods and give it to Cowher just to get him to coach the Bills. At least we'd compete.

Jeff1220
09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Marty-ball! The Bills and Schotty can get over the SB hump together!

Mike13
09-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Marty-ball! The Bills and Schotty can get over the SB hump together!

:roflmao:

Mr. Miyagi
09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd be very excited about Gruden.

ddaryl
09-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Its not so shocking when your name is Dick Juaron.

ou guys are F'd up

What are we supposed to post. I want so and so because he's never been a HC in the NFL before.. or I want so and so because he's affordable.

Maybe Ralph suprises us, every decade or so he seems to do that. DO I expect it, of course not... but that doesn't change the fact that for me Cowher is my primary choice. How could that change, I don't waste my time wishing for realisitc solutions when I dream I dream big.

When you play the lottery do you hope and dream about the $2 winner or the $200 million winner after taxes ????

justasportsfan
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
just leave already