• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Article: The Bills 53, My Take

By Me..

When the Bills take the field Monday night at New England, they’ll be doing it with the following 53 guys. There were a few surprise roster cuts, most notably Dominic Rhodes. Unfortunately, at least according to the vast majority of fan’s I’ve spoken to since, there weren’t enough surprises.

After the jump, a breakdown of each position. I’d use the word “analysis” instead of breakdown, but as you’ll soon see I already used it far too many times. Talk about redundant

Anyway…

Quarterbacks
    Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gibran Hamden (3)

Analysis: No revelations here. Hamden beat out Matt Baker for the honor of caressing a clipboard all season, barring injury. If I have a problem it’s that we kept three quarterbacks. I find it hard to fathom any team beating on Hamden’s door had he been released. Why not keep him “on call” in case of injury, and fill his spot elsewhere with a guy more likely to contribute? At least a handful of teams are starting the season with two quarterbacks and I’m fairly certain we could use more depth elsewhere. Or maybe we could’ve cut Hamden and added a seventh corner.

Running Backs
    Fred Jackson, Xavier Omon, Corey McIntyre (3)

Analysis: Dominic Rhodes conclusively is the biggest head scratch of all cuts. I’m going to feign belief the Bills front office were conscious of Marshawn Lynch being suspended to start the season when they signed him. I’m also going to assume Rhodes is a better option as a third back than Omon and his six career carries or McIntyre and his zero carries. If Lynch is suspended, and Jackson is tired and/or hurt, and it’s a crucial third and one, I”ll trust Rhodes to move the chains before Omon or McIntyre. I know it, you know it and hell, Dick Jauron knows it too. The release is about one thing; currency. Buffalo saved $2 million by cutting Rhodes. He also would’ve gotten a $150,000 bonus had he mad the final roster.

Wide Receivers
    Lee Evans, Terrell Owens, Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, Justin Jenkins (6)

Analysis: No major surprises. Looks like Reed has held off Johnson, for now, as the team’s third receiver. Had he fallen further down the depth chart he’d have likely been cut. With this being Reed’s final year under contract, Johnson probably has to wait until 2010 for his big break. Jenkins made the team again on the strength of special teams. Parrish is the real enigma. With a $2.5 million cap tag Parrish is too expensive to be a fifth receiver. But as a top tier punt returner he was far too valuable to simply give away. It’s widely speculated the Bills actively tried to move Parrish, with no takers-- at least to pony up what the Bills wanted in return. With James Hardy scheduled to be back in week six off the PUP, things could get interesting. For now, Parrish will be a high priced punt returner. Then again, with this offense looking so futile, the Bills will need every advantage they can get.

Tight Ends
    Derek Schouman, Derek Fine, Shawn Nelson (3)

Analysis: Perhaps it’s a mild surprise Jonathan Stupar didn’t make the final roster. If leading the NFL in preseason receptions (19) doesn’t land you on a roster , I’m uncertain to what more he could’ve done. In the front office’s defense, Stupar looked rather lousy against Detroit and Pittsburgh. Don’t expect much from this position in 2009 unless Nelson accelerates the conventional Buffalo tight end learning curve, which usually means forever.

Offensive Line
    Langston Walker, Andy Levitre, Geoff Hangartner, Eric Wood, Brad Butler, Demetrius Bell, Seth McKinney, Jonathan Scott (8)

Analysis: The release of Kirk Chambers caught some off guard (no pun intended.) He’s been versatile over the past few seasons and started at both guard and tackle last year. But those who protest probably didn’t bother watching much if any of the preseason. Chambers was atrocious so his release shouldn’t come as a shock. Bell has been injured, and Walker should thank his lucky stars. Word on the street (and in the newspapers) is the Bills think Bell will eventually unseat Walker at left tackle, and only a preseason back injury prevented that plan from hastening. There was no way Walker was going to be a $4.5-million backup. So it was either move Walker to right tackle or cut him. Walker has struggled this preseason, an ominous sign for Edwards’ health.

Defensive End
    Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Aaron Maybin, Chris Ellis (5)

Analysis: Immediately after the Bills published their cuts, I went trolling through various Bills message boards. A lot of cuts and positions were deliberated yet one in particular was universal. It seemed everybody was livid Copeland Bryan was cut. Bryan was solid in the preseason, maybe their most consistent linemen overall and seemingly secured a roster spot. Kelsay and Denney are two hard working, if not overpaid and underperforming ends. One or both were expendable and Bryan clearly showed more upside. Ultimately, just like the predictably boring defense the Bills always seem to run, brass decided to play it safe and hold on to both Kelsay and Denney. If the Bills wanted to make a money grab this was the spot to do it. Bryan at a minimum was as productive as Denney (or Kelsay), and a lot cheaper. Yet we cut Rhodes to keep Omon and/or McIntyre when our starter is already suspended. But I digress.

Defensive Tackle:
    Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, John McCargo (4)

Analysis: Nothing really to offer. All four were expected to make the team and all four did. McCargo had some worries coming into camp but earned his keep in training camp and the preseason. Derrick Jones and Corey Mace didn’t exactly offer intense competition.

Linebacker
    Paul Posluszny, Kawika Mitchell, Keith Ellison, Marcus Buggs, Nic Harris, Ashlee Palmer, Jon Corto (7)

Analysis: First and foremost, that may be the last time you ever see Paul Posluszny’s name on here written in full. It’s not easy to spell and it’s time consuming. Thank God Ataefiok Etukeren didn’t make the roster or I’d really be screwed. Going forward, all Posluszny (there it is again) references will be known as “Poz.”

Palmer must’ve really overwhelmed the staff to make the opening roster, especially considering he missed almost the entire preseason and was an undrafted free agent. Oh, and he was given uniform No. 64. How many NFL linebackers do you know with a jersey in the 60’s? Despite all aforementioned obstacles Palmer made the roster. Basically, he’ll get NFL dollars, his own jersey, practice all week with the team and promptly sit in the press box every Sunday. But hey, he did make the roster.

The same can’t be said for Alvin Bowen, who was cut in favor of Jon Corto; in large part because of special teams… and Lord knows the Bills love them some building rosters around special teams.

(By the way, if there is one back up on this team to keep an eye on, it’s Buggs. All the talk centers around Harris. I‘d comment on him but you can read one of the million “Harris should be starting over Ellison“ threads all over the internet. If Buggs gets a chance to get on the field he may not come off it.)

Cornerbacks
    Leodis McKelvin, Terrence McGee, Reggie Corner, Drayton Florence, Ashton Youboty, Ellis Lankster, Jabari Greer, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, J.D. Williams, Nate Odomes (oops forget the last five- 6)

Analysis: Without question the Bills deepest position. What do you do when you’re the Bills and your stacked at one position? You keep em all. Youboty had to have some trade value, for perhaps linebacker or running back depth, yet will now linger as the team’s fourth, maybe even fifth cornerback. The reason? Reggie Corner is for real. He was probably the best Bill this preseason. Not just on defense, or even (gasp) special teams. The best looking player all camp, period. He’s earned the nickel back spot. Florence has been banged up but the team likes his veteran presence. So do I. When Lankster was drafted in April, admit you said one of two things; “who?” or “practice squad!” But Lankster was solid all preseason and warranted his spot. Still, barring injuries he’s likely to spend Sundays in the cold Buffalo winter in the warm cozy press box next to Palmer.

Safety
    Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott, Jarius Byrd, George Wilson, John Wendling(5)

Analysis: 11 defensive backs on the 53-man roster? Really? I expected the Bills to keep five safeties, ONLY if they kept six corners. It forces me to ponder what blackmail Wendling must have on this staff. He play was simply vile all preseason long. This is the same Wendling that played the fool on the Tennessee fake punt. The same Wendling who took that awful angle as third stringer Tristan Davis scampered 79 yards for a game clinching touchdown for Detroit.
    Then again, maybe Jauron is still smitten by his 66-inch vertical leap.

“Extra” Special Teams
    Rian Lindell, Brian Moorman, Some Long Snapper (3)

Analysis: Ok, the long snapper is actually Garrison Sanborn, giving the club eight rookies on the opening day roster.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: Article: The Bills 53, My Take

What are Wendling and Corto still doing on this team ?

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
      • Mar 2004

nice job, but reread you Safties paragraph.

Tou said they would only keep 5 safeties IF they kept 6 CB's....

which is what they did, but not what I think you meant.... I'm guess 5 Cb's and 5 safeties?

Regardless.... Wendling and Corto over Stupar and Bryan?

sweet jesus.

Then again, since we're gonna be punting so often we might as well load up.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Originally posted by k-oneputt
        What are Wendling and Corto still doing on this team ?
        Like it or not, the Bills put more emphasis on Special Teams than any other club in the NFL. Of course, we still fall prey to the Music City Miracle and the Hall of Fame Fake Punt.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Loved your article. Buggs is going to be special. I agree with everything you said except Reed.

Josh Reed has been nothing but great for this team as the #3 WR. If there is a guy that I would re-sign it would be him.

He may own every clutch grab over the last two years and he was by far both Losman's and Edward's most reliable target.

Look at how well Evans did without him on the field.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Good job, pat. I was (and still am) one of the people who was livid about Bryan getting cut. I'm still pissed about it and don't want to get myself worked up right now, however.

One thing that slightly puzzles me is this: wasn't Bowen drafted mainly to be a huge weapon on special teams? Which makes it strange that Corto made the team over Bowen then, unless Bowen just didn't impress Bobby April as much as Corto did.

It's frustrating to know that they pretty much wasted a 5th round draft pick, but I have seen several teams cut their fifth and even fourth round draft picks from this year, not just a year ago.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mad Bomber
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Cornerbacks
              Leodis McKelvin, Terrence McGee, Reggie Corner, Drayton Florence, Ashton Youboty, Ellis Lankster, Jabari Greer, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, J.D. Williams, Nate Odomes (oops forget the last five- 6)

Great one, Pat...caught me by surprise and literally made me LOL.

Comment

Working...
              X