• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

How I think we can beat the Patriots

What the Bills need to do to beat the Patriots.
    by BillsWin

The Bills will be on the road to open the 2009-2010 MNF schedule against the New England Patriots. This is a game that about 90% of the fanbase has already written off as a loss, and for good reason. The Bills have not been able to beat the Patriots in years, and the last time they even came close was in 2006, when they managed to lead at half-time only to lose the game19-17.

The Bills have been out-scored, out-played, out-coached and out-right demolished by the Patriots in recent memory. In order for that to change, the Buffalo Bills will need some help from some rookies, some old veteran emergence, some good gameplanning and consistent, solid quarterback play. But it is not as impossible as everyone thinks...

Keys to the Game:

Get to Brady, and get to him often.

Tom Brady is a good quarterback. He only has one weakness. He has played behind a pretty good o-line for his entire career. Regardless of the play of his big men in the trenches, Brady is always consistent. The key is to make him an average quarterback which isn't as impossible as us Bills fans think it is. If you pressure him, and I mean really get after him and do it often, Brady gets flustered. Hard to believe right? Well, thats because the Bills never do it. So we almost never get to see it happen personally. But, everyone remembers the Super Bowl a few years ago... Brady is a smart QB, he'll throw the ball away just to not take a sack. When you get after him often, he'll do that more often which can get the Pats into a 3rd and long situation. Common sense right? It also helps to sack the guy. But at least hit him! The Bills never do that. They never get to Brady often, and hit him consistently. I'm not saying the Bills should take a roughing the passer penalty, but you shouldnt ease up and wait for him to throw it. The Bills need to attack Brady, and hit him again and again and again. Make him feel that injured shoulder and thats when even the BEST quarterbacks will make mistakes. And sometimes it only takes one mistake to shift the tide of the game. Hit Brady early and often all game long and the Bills get a chance to pitch the upset. If BillsWin was the defensive coordinator I would send so many exotic blitzes and defensive end stunts at Brady that he would start questioning whether or not he should have sat out the week with that sore shoulder. I'd let the dogs loose, hell I'd offer a reward for everytime you sack the guy. Whatever it takes. Schobel eats Brady's sack lunch when he is healthy. Maybin is a freak, and he is hungry to prove the haters wrong. Set them lose.

Enough with the conservative crap, go for the gold!

Three points is great. It is points on the board, and sometimes three points will win you the game. But when you're playing a team like the Patriots who will at the very least put up three touchdowns, three points will not cut it. The Bills' first team offense couldnt punch it in all offseason. There are many excuses for that such as the formations were too complex, Turk refused to call plays that would put the ball in the endzone, we didnt gameplan for that specific team or defense.
    Shut up. Forget it. Those games don't count and neither do the excuses.
    If the Bills want to win this game points must be had and they must come in six packs.
    Alex Van Pelt needs to be more aggressive. I'm not talking hail mary's every play, but yes, we do have a wide receiver who specializes in getting past single coverage and sprinting deep. Oh, and we now have a hall of fame wide receiver who can go up and get the ball. So why not go for the gold? Why not call more passes down field. Our power runner is suspended and now we have a finese back. Which is not really a bad thing. He did torch the Pats in the season finale last season. use him! We are not good enough on defense
    so that we can just pound the rock. At least not against the Patriots and not without Lynch. So be aggressive. Go for the six points, take chances early and often. Throw those "majestic" deep balls that we apparently ran to perfection ALL SUMMER LONG!!!!!!! To beat the Patriots, you have got to score, and to score this team needs to start going for the touchdown.

Slow and steady wins the race in fairy tales, but fast tempo will win you football games.

The tempo of our "no-huddle" offense is pathetic. The Patriots aren't the best defense in the league. They aren't too shabby either. If we are going to stick with the "no-huddle" then why not run it like it is supposed to be run? Get up to that line and snap that ball. Know what play you are going to run in a certain situation. Wear down that defense, don't stand around playing pocket pool, giving them time to set up. Even if you don't have a play ready, everyone needs to get set on that line so that the defense can't have time to change the play or substitute their players. Wilfork is a great DT, but if you are running a play, then getting set forcing him to run back to the line and get set, pretty soon you will be able to drive that fat bastard back into the linebackers and open up a hole I could drive my pick up through. thats when we can gash them with the run. Thats how you will beat this defense. Up-tempo, simple plays that work and that we can execute.

Special teams, we need you...

Its not a secret, the Bills rely on their special teams to help them win games. This game will be no different. The Bills need their special teams to come through and maybe score some points, if not at least give the offense some good field position.

Other notes:

The Bills need to play disciplined. If you are following my plan I layed out above, all you need to do is be the more disciplined team. Cut down on the mistakes and more importantly penalties.

If Buffalo wants to win this game they need to win the turn over battle. They need to take advantage of their talented CBs and make plays. We led the league in interceptions this preseason and if the Bills are getting pressure on Brady I fully expect some balls to be interceptable.

Finally, although I know it will be an uphill battle and we are some big underdogs, but I am telling you guys right now that if our pass rush is solid this game is winnable. At the very least, I believe this game will be closer than we all are picking it to be.

Go Bills!
    I am The Batman.
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: How I think we can beat the Patriots

*sigh* i hope we can win...
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BillsWin
      What the Bills need to do to beat the Patriots.
      by BillsWin

The Bills will be on the road to open the 2009-2010 MNF schedule against the New England Patriots. This is a game that about 90% of the fanbase has already written off as a loss, and for good reason. The Bills have not been able to beat the Patriots in years, and the last time they even came close was in 2006, when they managed to lead at half-time only to lose the game19-17.

The Bills have been out-scored, out-played, out-coached and out-right demolished by the Patriots in recent memory. In order for that to change, the Buffalo Bills will need some help from some rookies, some old veteran emergence, some good gameplanning and consistent, solid quarterback play. But it is not as impossible as everyone thinks...

Keys to the Game:

Get to Brady, and get to him often.

Tom Brady is a good quarterback. He only has one weakness. He has played behind a pretty good o-line for his entire career. Regardless of the play of his big men in the trenches, Brady is always consistent. The key is to make him an average quarterback which isn't as impossible as us Bills fans think it is. If you pressure him, and I mean really get after him and do it often, Brady gets flustered. Hard to believe right? Well, thats because the Bills never do it. So we almost never get to see it happen personally. But, everyone remembers the Super Bowl a few years ago... Brady is a smart QB, he'll throw the ball away just to not take a sack. When you get after him often, he'll do that more often which can get the Pats into a 3rd and long situation. Common sense right? It also helps to sack the guy. But at least hit him! The Bills never do that. They never get to Brady often, and hit him consistently. I'm not saying the Bills should take a roughing the passer penalty, but you shouldnt ease up and wait for him to throw it. The Bills need to attack Brady, and hit him again and again and again. Make him feel that injured shoulder and thats when even the BEST quarterbacks will make mistakes. And sometimes it only takes one mistake to shift the tide of the game. Hit Brady early and often all game long and the Bills get a chance to pitch the upset. If BillsWin was the defensive coordinator I would send so many exotic blitzes and defensive end stunts at Brady that he would start questioning whether or not he should have sat out the week with that sore shoulder. I'd let the dogs loose, hell I'd offer a reward for everytime you sack the guy. Whatever it takes. Schobel eats Brady's sack lunch when he is healthy. Maybin is a freak, and he is hungry to prove the haters wrong. Set them lose.

Enough with the conservative crap, go for the gold!

Three points is great. It is points on the board, and sometimes three points will win you the game. But when you're playing a team like the Patriots who will at the very least put up three touchdowns, three points will not cut it. The Bills' first team offense couldnt punch it in all offseason. There are many excuses for that such as the formations were too complex, Turk refused to call plays that would put the ball in the endzone, we didnt gameplan for that specific team or defense.
      Shut up. Forget it. Those games don't count and neither do the excuses.
      If the Bills want to win this game points must be had and they must come in six packs.
      Alex Van Pelt needs to be more aggressive. I'm not talking hail mary's every play, but yes, we do have a wide receiver who specializes in getting past single coverage and sprinting deep. Oh, and we now have a hall of fame wide receiver who can go up and get the ball. So why not go for the gold? Why not call more passes down field. Our power runner is suspended and now we have a finese back. Which is not really a bad thing. He did torch the Pats in the season finale last season. use him! We are not good enough on defense
      so that we can just pound the rock. At least not against the Patriots and not without Lynch. So be aggressive. Go for the six points, take chances early and often. Throw those "majestic" deep balls that we apparently ran to perfection ALL SUMMER LONG!!!!!!! To beat the Patriots, you have got to score, and to score this team needs to start going for the touchdown.

Slow and steady wins the race in fairy tales, but fast tempo will win you football games.

The tempo of our "no-huddle" offense is pathetic. The Patriots aren't the best defense in the league. They aren't too shabby either. If we are going to stick with the "no-huddle" then why not run it like it is supposed to be run? Get up to that line and snap that ball. Know what play you are going to run in a certain situation. Wear down that defense, don't stand around playing pocket pool, giving them time to set up. Even if you don't have a play ready, everyone needs to get set on that line so that the defense can't have time to change the play or substitute their players. Wilfork is a great DT, but if you are running a play, then getting set forcing him to run back to the line and get set, pretty soon you will be able to drive that fat bastard back into the linebackers and open up a hole I could drive my pick up through. thats when we can gash them with the run. Thats how you will beat this defense. Up-tempo, simple plays that work and that we can execute.

Special teams, we need you...

Its not a secret, the Bills rely on their special teams to help them win games. This game will be no different. The Bills need their special teams to come through and maybe score some points, if not at least give the offense some good field position.

Other notes:

The Bills need to play disciplined. If you are following my plan I layed out above, all you need to do is be the more disciplined team. Cut down on the mistakes and more importantly penalties.

If Buffalo wants to win this game they need to win the turn over battle. They need to take advantage of their talented CBs and make plays. We led the league in interceptions this preseason and if the Bills are getting pressure on Brady I fully expect some balls to be interceptable.

Finally, although I know it will be an uphill battle and we are some big underdogs, but I am telling you guys right now that if our pass rush is solid this game is winnable. At the very least, I believe this game will be closer than we all are picking it to be.

Go Bills!
      This game, and any game is absolutley winnable with pressure to the opposing QB. I said in an earlier post that Brady's losses have all came when he has to dance in the pocket. We need him to break out his best Travolta impersenation in order to win this game.

I agree, we do need special teams. We need good field position in this game, and need to get 6's rather than 3's.

Biggest of all, we cannot turn the ball over. This will absolutley kill us, as the Patriots are very disciplined themselves with mistakes, and penalties. The Patriots weakness is their secondary, so we need to go deep at least a handful of times. And AVP should be more agressive with going long. Jackson's wrist makes me cringe, and hopefully he doesn't let the ball up. T.O should take pressure away from Lee, and we could potentially see a breakout game from Evans. Pressure on Brady, limit the mistakes, no turnovers, solid special teams, and a few hailmarys, and the Bills will find themselves in a winnable, competitive NFL season opener.

We pretty much need to be perfect.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
        • Feb 2005

Patriots 41
        Bills 13

Comment

• Billz_fan
          • Jan 2003

Yeah were gonna get beat

Thats was one hell of a presentation though !! Very nice !
          The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Prov401
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
            Patriots 41
            Bills 13
            Could happen. Wouldn't suprise me at all. Alot of people had us losing in 2006 by about the same margin when we opened up against the Pats in New England. We ended up losing by 2.

I think T.O is going to be an intregal part to our offense, as a performer, leader, and teamate. People will look up to him, and I think he is a great WR to have during big games like this. I'm not saying we are going to win this game, but I'm a little more optimistic than others.

Pats can deffinitley score anywhere between 28-45 points this game IMO. Buffalo has to slug this one out, and to be honest, I think the Pats have a raw, young secondary that can be exploited big time. The game is won in the trenches, and we need our D-line to apply constant pressure on that prima donna over there wearing number 12, and we need our O-line to keep Trent upright. No mistakes, penalties, turnovers, and we could be in this.
            Last edited by Prov401; 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
              • Feb 2005

I agree though- pass rush has been and will be key in this team having any success. I am still highly skeptical of our DEs, and thus I think Brady will be dissecting us all game.
              Last edited by DMBcrew36; 09-06-2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

Gotta be aggressive. Agressive on offense, aggressive on pass rush. The players have got to want it bad.
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• Novacane
                  • Jul 2002

If we can get to Brady consistantly it could be a game. That said I don't see that happening. We have the same guys rushing the passer that we have had and they never got to him in the past.

Comment

• Prov401
                    • Aug 2008

I remember how that 2006 game started off. Didn't Brady get drilled by Spikes on a blitz, and London took the ball into the endzone the very first play of the game?

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
                      Could happen. Wouldn't suprise me at all. Alot of people had us losing in 2006 by about the same margin when we opened up against the Pats in New England. We ended up losing by 2.

I think T.O is going to be an intregal part to our offense, as a performer, leader, and teamate. People will look up to him, and I think he is a great WR to have during big games like this. I'm not saying we are going to win this game, but I'm a little more optimistic than others.

Pats can deffinitley score anywhere between 28-45 points this game IMO. Buffalo has to slug this one out, and to be honest, I think the Pats have a raw, young secondary that can be exploited big time. The game is won in the trenches, and we need our D-line to apply constant pressure on that prima donna over there wearing number 12, and we need our O-line to keep Trent upright. No mistakes, penalties, turnovers, and we could be in this.
                      yeah, I just don't see our o-line giving Edwards enough time, which puts the talents of TO and Evans to some waste

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

The only way possible to stay close, let alone win, is slow and steady.

Keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

Slow time consuming point scoring drives.

The less time NE has the ball, the less the chance for 42-3.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                          • Oct 2002

I was already convinced the Bills were going to win. After reading this though I'm so sure of a Bills' win that I might rent movies next Monday night and check the box scores to see how much they won by when I first get up next Tuesday morning.
                          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• JD
                            Sabres Zone
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                            Patriots 41
                            Bills 13
                            13?

That means we need to score a touchdown
                            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                              13?

That means we need to score a touchdown
                              :) I was thinking McKelvin would take a kick return to the house or take a pick to the house

Comment

Working...
                              X