X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Bills offense moving forward with Van Pelt

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim GrahamSunday was the first time reporters had access to the Buffalo Bills since head coach Dick Jauron fired offensive coordinator Turk Schonert and replaced him with quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt.

Receiver Lee Evans on the switch:

"I think it’s going to be good. I was excited to come in here today to see what changes were going to be made and how things were going to be different. I’m certainly excited about it and we’re moving forward."

Van Pelt on how a new play-caller can utilize the same playbook differently:

"If you have the same offense and you have three different guys call it, it’s going to look completely different. It’s just the personality that it takes on as the guy calling the plays. I don’t think you have to change the plays. I think they’re all good plays ,and we’re running the same thing a lot of other people run in this league it’s just how you call it I think it’ll make it look a little different."

Quarterback Trent Edwards on why the change had to be made:

"You have to look at it like we need to score points. We need to be in rhythm, and we hadn’t done that the past couple of weeks. There was no saying that we weren't going to be able to do that without Turk here, but that’s the decision the head coach made, and that’s something that is a little above my pay grade."

Receiver Terrell Owens on whether the switch will make a difference if the playbook stays the same:

"All they do is call them. We have to go out there and execute them, so it doesn’t really matter. [Anyone] can go out there and call the plays. So if we know what we're supposed to do, and we're not doing it, then 'Hey, who's to blame?' So I think the guys that are out here, like I said, we've had a couple of days to assess the situation. We have to take accountability. We have to go out there and jell with one another and go out there and play on Monday night."

Van Pelt on Edwards' lackluster exhibition performances:

"I don't think the preseason is indicative to the type of player that Trent is. We went into those games without a real solid game plan and a lot of preparation. We were still in our camp mode. Given the time we have before Monday night I feel like we'll have him ready to go and he’ll have a good understanding of what we’re expecting from them and what we’re expecting from us offensively."
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: Bills offense moving forward with Van Pelt

loved the T.O. comment and what AVP had to say in his final quote.
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
      • Jul 2009

I guess I still wonder what "camp mode" is. WTF were they doing?

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ground Chuck
        I guess I still wonder what "camp mode" is. WTF were they doing?
        "Camp mode," hm? Maybe marshmallows roasting over an open fire? The last time I went camping, I played frisbee golf. Maybe that's something they did in that time.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Northern Stampede
          Canadian Son With A Heart Full Of Buffalo
          • Dec 2004

I'm really curious to see how this pans out. I hope AVP is a success. He seems like a good guy, and lord knows we need to get something going on the offensive side!

Comment

Working...
          X