• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Larry Felser: Time for Bills to start scouting their next quarterback

Didn't see this posted...
    Get ready for a collection of explanations why the Bills slogged through all of August and the start of September without a respectable offense. The explanations will arrive like this: “It’s just the preseason— T. O. was hurt—we had to find out about our new players—we’ll be all right in the regular season.”
    The facts are that this team lost eight of its last 10 games a year ago and did not score a touchdown in three of the last five. In the last three sorry exhibitions when the regulars were on the field it did not score a touchdown. Do you detect a pattern? That unhappy fact is unlikely to be altered by a change of offensive coordinators.
    In the last few years the organization has been deluding itself about a lot of things and now we seem to have the biggest delusion of all: That the Bills can win with Trent Edwards as their quarterback. In fact the Bills do not have a viable quarterback at all.
    Did anyone find it curious that Edwards did not play at all in the final exhibition against Detroit at the Ralph? Considering his futility in the previous two games wouldn’t it seem obvious that he could at least use a couple of live series to pull himself together? Instead it seemed that the coaches wanted to keep him out of sight.
    I have a suggestion for the organization. College football broke out this weekend. It is the year of the quarterback. There are at least three, maybe as many as five, who will be persons of intense interest at draft time 2010.
    more...

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Larry Felser: Time for Bills to start scouting their next quarterback

The front office should be scouting for their 'next' whatever, regardless of position, 24/7 and 365. That's their job.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Good point YardRat... it is actually perfect timing to have a make or break season at QB. If Trent get's it together and affirms himself as our QB of the foreseeable future, we can look to fortify other areas of weakness. If not, we will be drafting top 10 and almost certainly have a shot at one of the top dogs.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

I think this article is premature. Drew Bress didn't break out until his 4th season.

Edwards has football intelligence, which Losman didn't. Edwards looked great aginst Denver, on the road, and that was the second last game of the season.

It was Edwards first full season with a couple of missed games due to injury to boot.

No doubt this has to be a season full of better play. If Owens stays healthy he needs a 20-25 TD season minimum and half the picks.

Hard to blame it all on the QB when you through out the o-line and fired the OC.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Of the College QB's, I like Colt McCoy of Texas. He can move and throw on the run. Seems to have the most poise. Accurate. Good leadership skills.

Bradford ( Oklahoma ) & Snead ( Ole Miss. ) have little mobility and are sitting ducks. Neither can throw on the run. No more cement shoe QB's. Clauson of ND could be anything. Who knows ?
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Even if TE starts lighting it up you need 2 top knotch QBs on the team. I'm not keen at all about drafting a guy and putting the team in his hands but next year is a good opportunity to draft a QB. Unfortunately, we will draft a CB or WR.

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            I think this article is premature. Drew Bress didn't break out until his 4th season.

Edwards has football intelligence, which Losman didn't. Edwards looked great aginst Denver, on the road, and that was the second last game of the season.

It was Edwards first full season with a couple of missed games due to injury to boot.

No doubt this has to be a season full of better play. If Owens stays healthy he needs a 20-25 TD season minimum and half the picks.

Hard to blame it all on the QB when you through out the o-line and fired the OC.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
              Even if TE starts lighting it up you need 2 top knotch QBs on the team. I'm not keen at all about drafting a guy and putting the team in his hands but next year is a good opportunity to draft a QB. Unfortunately, we will draft a CB or WR.
              If Edwards plays well than you bring another 3rd rounder type to kick Hamden off the squad.

Obvioulsy if Edwards plays poorly than we'll be in the first round drafting a QB.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

If Edwards plays well than you bring another 3rd rounder type to kick Hamden off the squad.

Obvioulsy if Edwards plays poorly than we'll be in the first round drafting a QB.

That really defies sensible logic. The position is too important. Get the best guys there you can. If you end up with two superstuds then you have some real trade bait. But this would increase your possibility of finally getting one stud in the position. Too much pussy footing around the QBs for the last decade.
                Last edited by Typ0; 09-07-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
                  • Feb 2009

If Edwards struggles... Id prefer bradford or mccoy
                  "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• gil
                    • Mar 2005

Ok, I have a serious question - I see this repeatedly stated that Edwards has this high football IQ and supposedly makes smart decisions - I assume saying this means he can read defenses and such.

My question is, what has Edwards done exactly to warrant this "football intelligence" respect he gets?

Granted he seems to make better decisions than Losman, which is not saying much, but I don't exactly look at him and see a young Peyton Manning out there.

Can someone give me an example of things he's done to warrant his "football intelligence" reputation, other than going to Stanford?

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

and Brees broke out the same year they drafted Rivers. They then traded Brees for a nice pick

There are some QB's to watch in college this year

I enjoyed this article that talks about a plethera (you do know what a plethera is pepe') of QB's poised ot break thier schools records this year

If Edwards fails this year it would be a fools move IMO to not bring in another QB
                      Last edited by ddaryl; 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                        That really defies sensible logic. The position is too important. Get the best guys there you can. If you end up with two superstuds then you have some real trade bait. But this would increase your possibility of finally getting one stud in the position. Too much pussy footing around the QBs for the last decade.
                        If you have a starting caliber QB why would you draft another in the 1st or 2nd round?

This team still needs help on the o-line and at the DE position.

So you would waste a high pick on another QB at the exsepnse of greater needs? I think you might be defying logic on this one.

Comment

• Prov401
                          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                          • Aug 2008

Those are very good pointes you made, especially about Brees not breaking out until his 4th years.

I think what everyone here went crazy for in Trent to begin with was his poise, and accuracy. Actually there were about 10 articles on here, already comparing him to a young Tom Brady back in 2007. Trent never seems lost in interviews, but always seems lost against the 3-4, which half of the NFL runs, including our AFC East foes.

Trent needs to start trusting his recievers, and just start slinging it. These checkdowns do nothing but get us a yard or two. The problem with some of his throws is he lacks the zip. But Chad Pennington also lacks the zip, and he relys on his great accuracy and deep passes to get his team points. Trent needs to air it out, and trust his passes.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

i think the bills are good on depth. we hvae a lot of players who start who would be better suited to be awesome depth players.

I think in the draft the bills should package picks and try to get a QB and a DE of the highest quality. and use a 3rd pick on a good LB.

Then in FA get another OL who has experience.

Keep trent...he might be one of those guys who falls in the "great backup."

I have faith trent can turn it around because he isn't as stupid as losman was. but now i am concerned maybe losman was just that bad that trent's awfulness is masked. Trent gets it to some degree. but he has to prove two things to me, "1. he can stay on the field and 2. that he can get through 3-4 defenses."

I do worry that at his age, if he still gets knocked out of games that as he gets older he'll only leave games earlier. Durability is a huge thing in this game. A lot of athletes can run fast, but not a lot can take NFL like punishment.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

When was the last time we had that guy though? Bledsoe. We think we might have a guy but we don't have a proven guy and until we do having two guys on the roster that we think might be that guy increases our odds of actually having him.

If you have a starting caliber QB why would you draft another in the 1st or 2nd round?

This team still needs help on the o-line and at the DE position.

So you would waste a high pick on another QB at the exsepnse of greater needs? I think you might be defying logic on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X