• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

A funny, but true Schonert article on cbs sports

On the grander scale, coaches canning offensive coordinators this close to showtime is a bad and cowardly idea, as it shows (a) that the head coach is under fire from up the know-littles and cowards upstairs and doesn't have the stones to stand up for his guy, (b) that the head coach wasn't paying attention and/or (c) needs a scapegoat.
    In all cases, it is a sign of weakness that players understand and use when things go bad to deflect blame from their own failings. You start that circle, you go 4-12, and everyone's out the door.
    But Schonert's case is different because it sounds mostly like he and Jauron couldn't agree on Jauron's offense, and that last adjective is the key. "Jauron's." This isn't even a matter of who knows more about offense, because we assume Schonert is the better versed of the two. It's about who has the say, and in no NFL operation, not even in Dallas, do the assistants dictate terms to the head coach.
    And having explained himself so eloquently instead of simply resigning and telling Jauron that he just can't work the way Jauron wants, Schonert will now find himself branded a malcontent, not a team player, a guy who thinks he's smarter than the guy who hired him. In a rigid hierarchical structure like the NFL's, where everyone works at full pucker 24/7, these are all minuses on the résumé.
    And when the season starts, and the Bills do struggle on offense, he'll have the satisfaction of saying, "See, I told you" to the family dog while he's raking up leaves.
    And the dog will look at him sympathetically and say in that telepathic way dogs have, "I could use a treat right now." Because that's how much assistants who prize their egos too grandly get their ideas heard.
    I am The Batman.
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

Re: A funny, but true Schonert article on cbs sports

And when the season starts, and the Bills do struggle on offense, he'll have the satisfaction of saying, "See, I told you" to the family dog while he's raking up leaves.
    And the dog will look at him sympathetically and say in that telepathic way dogs have, "I could use a treat right now." Because that's how much assistants who prize their egos too grandly get their ideas heard.

haha

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

I know I could use a treat right now.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Jauron's loyalty to players and staff is why he is going to find himself out of job sooner than later.

If they were fighting about the offense in the offseason than he should have canned him. way before this.

Either way he is stupid.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
          I know I could use a treat right now.

play dead and we'll see what we can do for you.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
            play dead and we'll see what we can do for you.

hahahahahahaha
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

but I'm happy he's gone. Saw more then enough in the playcalling department, and lack or red zone success to want any change I could get.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                Jauron's loyalty to players and staff is why he is going to find himself out of job sooner than later.

If they were fighting about the offense in the offseason than he should have canned him. way before this.

Either way he is stupid.
                at least he canned him.

From what I heard on Mike and Mike this AM (they had Brian Billick on there talking about all the O-coordinators getting fired, among other things), Jauron tried all preseason to get Turk to do more of what was expected. When he didnt get there, he got canned. While I agree I wish it had happened earlier, I'm glad they got rid of something that wasnt working.

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                  at least he canned him.

From what I heard on Mike and Mike this AM (they had Brian Billick on there talking about all the O-coordinators getting fired, among other things), Jauron tried all preseason to get Turk to do more of what was expected. When he didnt get there, he got canned. While I agree I wish it had happened earlier, I'm glad they got rid of something that wasnt working.

so you heard our future head coach talk about our future ex-head coach. sweet...
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillsWin
                    so you heard our future head coach talk about our future ex-head coach. sweet...

hahaha I wish!!! That'd be sweet tho dude!

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

I was listening to a CBS sportsline podcast and the guys said that a former NFL player told him before Schonert was fired how Turk is killing the Bills. He forces things on the players and does not work to the strength of the team and is just ding his thing.
                      Not sure if Turk was handed the OC position or interviewed for it but Jauron and himself were not on the same page. Not sure how Jauron did not did not discuss his vision with Schonert over the offseason and realize Turn was only going to do what he wanted to do.

Comment

• Voltron
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                        Ralph would never pony up the money for Brian Billick or Bill Cower!!
                        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

• thenry20
                          • Jan 2004

Or Shanahan or Chucky

Comment

Working...
                          X