• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

For all the anti-Trent Edwards folks.

Honestly.

How can you possibly judge this guy?

I'm not saying he's a franchise QB. I honestly don't know. That's the problem. I see talent there but god knows if it can ever be realized.

I mean how is he supposed to succeed when he plays for a team that does things like the last few days? eternally crappy OL, that they somehow make worse 3 days before the season? Firing the OC that should have been fired LAST year a day before that???

Has he EVER had good coaching? A good line? A good run game? more than 1 solid receiver?

I honestly think the guy has a lot of talent and CAN be a top shelf QB. But i fear he's headed down the "David Carr" road, where he is poorly coached and protected for so damn long it ruins his career.

Or worse, he finally leaves here and becomes a star on some team that has less morons running the show.
    Last edited by Canadian'eh!; 09-08-2009, 05:55 PM.
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: For all the anti-Trent Edwards folks.

Yeah, how dare we judge Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Cade McNown, JP Losman, etc etc etc!!!

It was someone else's fault.

The player themselves have no accountability for their inability to be productive.

Then again, that's the new American way, when in doubt, blame someone else!

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
      • Mar 2004

I forgot. Every player should be able to overcome an entire Franchise's shortcomings and make the pro bowl. That's why Montana was so good., despite all the garbage around him.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
        I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
        • Sep 2004

The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Well based on Edwards last 6 years of play I think many people have seen enough growth (or lack thereof) to say that while Edwards shows the potential he has shown little to make anybody think he will ever be able to meet it.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
            Well based on Edwards last 6 years of play I think many people have seen enough growth (or lack thereof) to say that while Edwards shows the potential he has shown little to make anybody think he will ever be able to meet it.
            Don't you think a better Ol and some better coaching, with a hint of consistency, might make a difference though?

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!

How can you possibly judge this guy?

I'm not saying he's a franchise QB. I honestly don't know

Seems you've answered your own question . He's NOT a franchise QB! Absolutely correct!
              After all these years of waiting, This is the best we get ? Being injury prone has nothing to do with coaching. Lack of confidence is a mental thing. Fear of failure is yet another. We've had way to many guys with potential , how about a guy with results?

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• JD
                Sabres Zone
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by sdbillsfan2
                Seems you've answered your own question . He's NOT a franchise QB! Absolutely correct!
                After all these years of waiting, This is the best we get ? Being injury prone has nothing to do with coaching. Lack of confidence is a mental thing. Fear of failure is yet another. We've had way to many guys with potential , how about a guy with results?
                INJURY PRONE BECAUSE OF A HELMET TO HELMET HIT!?!?! Get the **** outta here!!

You put trent on a team with a competant/prepared coaching staff with a semi-decent o-line and hes in the pro bowl. You base your assumptions off these preseason games? I'm not sure if you heard Dick, but they didn't prepare for their defenses AT ALL.
                Last edited by JD; 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM.
                “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Don't you think a better Ol and some better coaching, with a hint of consistency, might make a difference though?
                  To keep it simple...no, not really. I am 98% convinced he is not the long term answer, and unfortunately our best current option.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                    • Mar 2004

A bad OL can sure lead to injuries though.

And I wonder why it might be that all our guys with potential don't produce enough results..... including the current QB.

Why could that be?

hmmmmmm.

there must be a common thread here.

If only there were some set of people charged with taking talented athletes and putting them in positions to succeed and teach them ways to fulfill their potential.....

It's a real head scratcher.

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

A player is responsible for how he performs under any circumstances.
                      A bad pass is a bad pass.
                      A bad decision is a bad decision.
                      Circumstances can limit a player's upside statistically, but it's still up to the player to bring about the best-case scenario of any given play.
                      Preseason shouldn't count because we don't see how a player can handle the real playbook with game planning ... but Edwards better show that he can beat the 3-4 once the season begins. If he can't, he's done here.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        To keep it simple...no, not really. I am 98% convinced he is not the long term answer, and unfortunately our best current option.
                        I'm 98% sure that you might be 100% wrong, if we had a legitimate coaching staff and some consistent players around him.

Or you could be right.... but since I've only seen him as coached by Dick, with 1 WR and a terrible OL (going on 15 years of terrible Ol's).... I can't agree with you either way.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                          • Sep 2004

Please talk to TDummy about it.
                          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                            A player is responsible for how he performs under any circumstances.
                            A bad pass is a bad pass.
                            A bad decision is a bad decision.
                            Circumstances can limit a player's upside statistically, but it's still up to the player to bring about the best-case scenario of any given play.
                            Preseason shouldn't count because we don't see how a player can handle the real playbook with game planning ... but Edwards better show that he can beat the 3-4 once the season begins. If he can't, he's done here.
                            That's just ******ed.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I'm 98% sure that you might be 100% wrong, if we had a legitimate coaching staff and some consistent players around him.

Or you could be right.... but since I've only seen him as coached by Dick, with 1 WR and a terrible OL (going on 15 years of terrible Ol's).... I can't agree with you either way.
                              That's nice.

I suggest you review some tape from when he played at Stanfod, like when he lost his starting job to TC Ostrander, and see how his issues from his college days are still uncorrected. Most of those mental. Bad Decisions, Bad Throws, Footwork Issues, Misreading D's, Looking lost. All these things we see today still have been present for 6 years now. To blame three coaching regimes, and not the player seems like quite the logical leap to me. But hey there are still people who think that Ryan Leif could of been a good NFL QB in a different situation as well.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X