PDA

View Full Version : Source: Walker Move Nothing to do About Money

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I had the chance to speak this evening to someone inside the Bills organization regarding Langston Walker.

They are insistent over at One Bills Drive that the release is a 100% pure football move and had nothing to do with money. While I am not saying I believe it or not, the fact is cutting Walker saved the team $3 million in cash this year. He will still count $4.5 million against the cap, which basically means nothing because Buffalo isn't in danger of falling over it (cap).
From I am told the final straw came in back to back preseason games against Green Bay and Pittsburgh, when he was awful. It was also around this time word started to leak out that Bell was strongly being considered to start over Walker, as first reported by ESPN's Tim Graham last week.

Many thought the move would be to simply move Walker back to right tackle; a position both himself and coaches ready admit he's better suited for. However, with the no-huddle offense in tact and the Bills ready to rely on more atheltic offensive linement, it was decided that Butler would remain at right tackle, even if Bell moved into the starting role.

Apparently when Kirk Chambers was released on Saturday he was told it was a temporary move and would likely be back after the holiday. The Bills tried unsuccessfully to find a trading partner for Walker and realized last night they would be releasing him today.

Sources inside the club became sold on Bell growing into a strong left tackle. Though he may not be ready to start against New England on Monday night. He is slated to return to practice on Wednesday and will be evaulated daily. Until the team considers him ready to start, Chambers will fill that role.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Even still it's slightly about money...

But not in a bad sense.

Why pay someone 5 million dollars to be a backup?

X-Era
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Could you not squeeze your sources to find out if they have some trade or vet signing in mind now?

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Even still it's slightly about money...

But not in a bad sense.

Why pay someone 5 million dollars to be a backup?
of course it is, no doubt.

Unless I read the info wrong, they only actually saved $3 million by cutting him. But still, between Walker and Rhodes, that's $5 million saved this week. That's not chump change by any team's standards.

It's almost like those were T.O. reimbursement cuts, aint it?

Mr. Pink
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Could you not squeeze your sources to find out if they have some trade or vet signing in mind now?

If they did, why would they bother just resigning Chambers so quickly?

yordad
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
What? Chambers is starting vs the Patriots? This isn't about the money? Yeah, right.

X-Era
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Unless I read the info wrong, they only actually saved $3 million by cutting him. But still, between Walker and Rhodes, that's $5 million saved this week. That's not chump change by any team's standards.

What I want you to say is that they are planning to re-invest the money back into the team with a trade or vet signing.

X-Era
09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
If they did, why would they bother just resigning Chambers so quickly?

I assumed it didnt have to be for an OT.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Hey, even if they were, it's not a bad trade off.

When we first signed Rhodes I was kind of confused as to why we even bothered. You can draft a late rounder to be your 3rd string tailback or bring along one of your youngsters, Omon, in this case. Why go out and get an overrated player who doesn't add much to your team.

And if Walker was being pushed by Bell so soon, obviously Walker wasn't any type of answer. Although when we first signed him most of us scratched our heads at his signing.

Sure, some economics come in to play with the maneuvers. But so does what they bring to the table. For the money both were going to get, keeping them wasn't in the best interests of the franchise for what they actually brought to the table.

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
What I want you to say is that they are planning to re-invest the money back into the team with a trade or vet signing.
I highly doubt it. They are going to roll the dice with the three young OL starters.

Oaf
09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Does this then mean that BFO flat out made a mistake about being confident enough in Walker that they were willing to give Peters away? I mean honestly we could have just packaged our 2 and a 3 and have gotten Wood to keep WITH Peters.

YardRat
I heard John Murphy report on the evening news that the front office asked Walker to take a pay cut, and when he refused they decided to release him.

Mr. Pink
I heard John Murphy report on the evening news that the front office asked Walker to take a pay cut, and when he refused they decided to release him.

This wouldn't surprise me.

He shoulda took the paycut, he'll be lucky to find another job.

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM

not saying its not true.. I'm saying that they aren't going to admit it, person I spoke too and likely what you'll ready in statements from Bills is going to say its a "football move" not a money grab.

X-Era
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I highly doubt it. They are going to roll the dice with the three young OL starters.

Ok, this is like the third comment saying that we would simply get another OL.

No, Im not stuck thinking its only the OL that needs help.

Guys like Derrick Brooks help this team.

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
BTW.. Why would Walker have taken a pay cut?

Its not his fault the Bills had him playing out of position. He's a right tackle. We traded our LT, and didnt sign or draft anyone to take his place.

Just for the record; it's moves like this that make me a lot less angry at players than a lot of others when they hold out for money. It's a two way street.

Canadian'eh!
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I half believe them. If it were all about money, how could you POSSIBLY explain Kelsey and Denney still being here?

Mr. Pink

Its not his fault the Bills had him playing out of position. He's a right tackle. We traded our LT, and didnt sign or draft anyone to take his place.

Just for the record; it's moves like this that make me a lot less angry at players than a lot of others when they hold out for money. It's a two way street.

Why?

So he'd still have a job and collect a paycheck.

patmoran2006
Ok, this is like the third comment saying that we would simply get another OL.

No, Im not stuck thinking its only the OL that needs help.

Guys like Derrick Brooks help this team.
If they were interested in Derrick Brooks, they would've pursued him in August.. Or July.....Or June... Or May

Not 5 days before the regular season begings.

The Bills like their starters and Derrick Brooks is never going to be a backup, especially in buffalo.

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Why?

So he'd still have a job and collect a paycheck.
he'll have a job by Friday, I guarentee it.

YardRat
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I half believe them. If it were all about money, how could you POSSIBLY explain Kelsey and Denney still being here?

Great point...

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Does this then mean that BFO flat out made a mistake about being confident enough in Walker that they were willing to give Peters away? I mean honestly we could have just packaged our 2 and a 3 and have gotten Wood to keep WITH Peters.

I dont think they "gave" Peters away.. Considering money saved, what Philly paid him and the compensation we got back (Including Eric Wood) I thought Brandon made a pretty good trade.

Canadian'eh!
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Furthermore,

Walker was a VERY good soldier. He let them flip flop him from left to right and back again about 5 times throughout the whole Jason Peters saga, and again this year, and never complained once that i can recall.

and how do they replay his loyalty?

"Wow you suck at LT, so take millions less or we are gonna cut you."

thanks.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
he'll have a job by Friday, I guarentee it.

The very best he's gonna get is from team absolutely desperate for o-line help/depth....league minimum.

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Absolutely. The Bills could've saved over $3 million alone just by keeping Bryan and cutting Kelsay.

Canadian'eh!
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
If they were interested in Derrick Brooks, they would've pursued him in August.. Or July.....Or June... Or May

Not 5 days before the regular season begings.

The Bills like their starters and Derrick Brooks is never going to be a backup, especially in buffalo.

exactly. The Bills aren't stupid enough to mess up their chemistry by making big changes 5 days before the sea....

oh right.

T-Long
09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
not saying its not true.. I'm saying that they aren't going to admit it, person I spoke too and likely what you'll ready in statements from Bills is going to say its a "football move" not a money grab.
But who would ever say it was a move motivated by money anyway? Everyone always says its a football move

yordad
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I half believe them. If it were all about money, how could you POSSIBLY explain Kelsey and Denney still being here?They got pictures of Dick in compromising situations. :idunno:

I mean seriously, there isn't a football related reason either.

Forward_Lateral
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't really mind that Walker was cut. What I do mind is the fact that the Bills might go into week 1 with 3 tackles, unless McKinney is going to be a backup Tackle as well?

Canadian'eh!
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't really mind that Walker was cut. What I do mind is the fact that the Bills might go into week 1 with 3 tackles, unless McKinney is going to be a backup Tackle as well?

doesn't matter much... none of them will likely be able to hold them off anyway.

Typ0
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I can't figure this out either. They damaged his development in the system and then they tossed him aside. I guess when you make that kind of money it should ease the blow but it's still not right. This organization has zero in the clue department and it starts from the top down.

Furthermore,

Walker was a VERY good soldier. He let them flip flop him from left to right and back again about 5 times throughout the whole Jason Peters saga, and again this year, and never complained once that i can recall.

and how do they replay his loyalty?

"Wow you suck at LT, so take millions less or we are gonna cut you."

thanks.

yordad
09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Maybe he refused Dick's advances?

Ground Chuck
09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Walker blows. Bell or Chambers are about the same.

Like Lou Sabin used to say, "I can lose with anybody". Ralphie might as well pocket the $3 mil.

HHURRICANE
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh goody!! Ralph saved 3 million dollars. So when Bell gets hurt in week 2 and aggravates his back we can have Chambers for the rest of the season.

Pat this just in. If Walker was bad than Chambers was dog ****. I saw Butler getting thrown like a rag doll. Didn't look like he sewed up the RT position.

If we are far from going over the cap than isn't all about the money? What else would it be?

THATHURMANATOR
09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
What? Chambers is starting vs the Patriots? This isn't about the money? Yeah, right.
Could chambers be any worse than walker?

Typ0
09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
it's always about the benjamins. If he had taken the salary reduction he would still be on the roster. It's about the money.

HHURRICANE
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Dude, did you actually watch the pre-season games. I'm starting to wonder.

Ground Chuck
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM

What would you rather have: Walker or Chambers and $3 mil?

HHURRICANE
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM

Take out the players name and insert the transactions over the last 8 years. The loser Bills excuse. "He can't suck any less".

Typ0
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Take out the players name and insert the transactions over the last 8 years. The loser Bills excuse. "He can't suck any less".

really! A revolving door of crap. Just like the **** hitting the fan only it's happening over and over and over again and ...

Look for the common factors.

HHURRICANE
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
really! A revolving door of crap. Just like the **** hitting the fan only it's happening over and over and over again and ...

Look for the common factors.

"Peters sucked last year, Walker will be just as good". I'm going to have to find all of those posts from all of the zoners here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!

Hang on, hang on. "Walker sucked, Chambers will be just as good"

yordad
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Could chambers be any worse than walker?Yes. That is why he was cut. That is why he didn't start. Not to mention, Butler was better at Guard than Chambers will ever be.

Typ0
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Peters was crap too IMO. Just more crap.

"Peters sucked last year, Walker will be just as good". I'm going to have to find all of those posts from all of the zoners here.

ddaryl
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I hate to say this cause I've been against doing it, but now..

Can Levi Jones pass a physical. A 1 legged Jones would be comforting

bflobarry
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
When they say it isn't about the money, it's ALWAYS about the money. This has Ralph's fingerprints all over it. He was good enough to keep if he took less money, but he wouldn't. Wow, this train is heading for a brick wall, and Ralph is driving. Why not do this on Sat, w/ the other cuts? B/C they tried to screw Walker w/ a gun to his head. Regardless of his play, which was good enough last year to spell Peters when he needed a break, this is not how you treat people. And another example is Dominic Rhodes. You're keeping 2!! running backs, and cut Rhodes? It's the MONEY.........

Romes
09-08-2009, 09:06 PM

I usually disagree with you HH and I think you come off a lot more abrassive than you need to be...but you are right about this...

Here is a good thread to start looking for those posts...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=177215

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
When they say it isn't about the money, it's ALWAYS about the money. This has Ralph's fingerprints all over it. He was good enough to keep if he took less money, but he wouldn't. Wow, this train is heading for a brick wall, and Ralph is driving. Why not do this on Sat, w/ the other cuts? B/C they tried to screw Walker w/ a gun to his head. Regardless of his play, which was good enough last year to spell Peters when he needed a break, this is not how you treat people. And another example is Dominic Rhodes. You're keeping 2!! running backs, and cut Rhodes? It's the MONEY.........

I'm not going to blast the front office (ralphie included) on the Walker dump. By all accounts I've heard, and seen with my own yes. Walker has been horrible. With the no huddle especially he quickly became a huge liability.

However, with Rhodes you're 100% right. no way that's not a straight money dump.

I can buy into Bell is more suited for OT than Walker at this point.

But nobody is going to sell me on Omon/McIntyre brings more to the table than Rhodes does.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm not going to blast the front office (ralphie included) on the Walker dump. By all accounts I've heard, and seen with my own yes. Walker has been horrible. With the no huddle especially he quickly became a huge liability.

However, with Rhodes you're 100% right. no way that's not a straight money dump.

I can buy into Bell is more suited for OT than Walker at this point.

But nobody is going to sell me on Omon/McIntyre brings more to the table than Rhodes does.

In reverse no one is going to sell me Rhodes brings more to the table than Omon/McIntyre.

Especially since we're talking 3rd string RBs.

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
In reverse no one is going to sell me Rhodes brings more to the table than Omon/McIntyre.

Especially since we're talking 3rd string RBs.
your on the road at New England in the 4th quarter and driving to win, and you have to convert a 3rd and 1.. Fred Jackson is out of the game with a bruised hand.

Are you telling me Rhodes is not the man for the job over ****ing Xavier Omon?

Mr. Pink
09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
your on the road at New England in the 4th quarter and driving to win, and you have to convert a 3rd and 1.. Fred Jackson is out of the game with a bruised hand.

Are you telling me Rhodes is not the man for the job over ****ing Xavier Omon?

QB draw out of spread formation.

BillsWin
09-08-2009, 09:27 PM
QB draw out of spread formation.

Id send in Mack-truck. he made the roster for a reason.