PDA

View Full Version : We cut a terrible LT

THATHURMANATOR
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Whats the big deal?
Bell will get it done.

Hemlepp53
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Good move ... its just the impact of all the direction change being made in such a short period of time. The SIMPS cant handle that much change.... It is for the better... Bell well hold it down...

Michael82
09-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I like Bell a lot, and feel that he will be a very good LT. But I also feel that this move should have been made in June or July. Not 1 week before the ****ing season. Especially after you had your starting OL working together all offseason and training camp and pre-season. :ill:

OpIv37
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Whats the big deal?
Bell will get it done.

based on what? And if Bell gets hurt, then what? If Bell and Butler both get hurt, then what? This team has ZERO depth on the OL. And if he's so terrible, why did this team spend so much money on him just two years ago? Ever hear of opportunity costs? That was a roster spot and $7.5 million a season that we couldn't use on a good player. And now, we're still stuck eating $4.5 million in cap space.

Yeah good for the Bills... they got rid of another lackluster player for whom they overpaid. They still need to replace him with someone equal or better.

malo
09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
If he was a terrible LT, they should have know earlier. Not 6 days before the first game.

Hemlepp53
09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
What If What If What If..... WHAT IS....

based on what? And if Bell gets hurt, then what? If Bell and Butler both get hurt, then what?

What if we had a great coaching staff who could reconigize talent sooner than 1 week out of seaon starter...

Dr. Pepper
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
schonert, walker, whos next? im not saying the moves werent needed.... they just werent needed a week before the season starts. it reeks of desperation.

Romes
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Walker is a terrible LT and thats because he isn't one. It would have been miserable if he started there. It was stupid of the FO to think he could play there.

I really hope Bell can cut, because we have nothing after that.

How sad is it that this organization went the whole offseason with just 1 natural LT on the roster? and that one that is talented but raw and inexperienced.

Its all water under the bridge now with the offseason moves...but damn, they definitely could and should have done more with the LT position this offseason.

OpIv37
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Walker is a terrible LT and thats because he isn't one. It would have been miserable if he started there. It was stupid of the FO to think he could play there.

I really hope Bell can cut, because we have nothing after that.

How sad is it that this organization went the whole offseason with just 1 natural LT on the roster? and that one that is talented but raw and inexperienced.

Its all water under the bridge now with the offseason moves...but damn, they definitely could and should have done more with the LT position this offseason.

I think they should have done less with the LT position- I would have been perfectly happy going into this season with the same LT we had last year....

Turf
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Like everyone else is saying, it took them till the season starts to do thing they have done at the end of last season. Maybe Ralph will hire a new coaching staff in week 3.

Romes
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I think they should have done less with the LT position- I would have been perfectly happy going into this season with the same LT we had last year....

Agreed to some extent but that problem was unfixable this offseason. They botched that one up in 2007 and let it linger all through 2008...

patmoran2006
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Agreed to some extent but that problem was unfixable this offseason. They botched that one up in 2007 and let it linger all through 2008...
I love your avatar man.
I may steal it to use for a post sooner or later.

Romes
09-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I love your avatar man.
I may steal it to use for a post sooner or later.

Haha...sure.

Grafitti was done by SabreEleven

I was tempted to take it down after the TO deal...but it seems to never fail in the long run...

rcd333
09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
we did cut a decent RT though

billsTOfan
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Walker stinks, but everyone said last year he was our best Olineman by far.That is kinda scary that one year later he has digressed so much, or that being the best of an all trash line meant nada.

I prefer what Bell brings to the line being better on his feat and more athletic, plus we know what Walker is... decent to crappy at best. We don't know yet what Bell is about. We will see. Regardless it won't have an effect on overall product. The only thing that it kinda hurts us with is our depth. I rather they bench him and let him be depth in case of injury or just rotate him. Especially considering they said, it wasn't about money.

Walker lost his job, cause he deserved to lose it. He looked like a rookie in 7th rd.

Oaf
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Haha...sure.

Grafitti was done by SabreEleven

I was tempted to take it down after the TO deal...but it seems to never fail in the long run...
Yeah wow, I wonder if he'd/she'd do one for me.

Ingtar33
09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
he was our best lineman last year.

we cut a good RT, who cares about how he does on the left. we let go 4 of our starting 5 linemen from last year... I don't mind them doing that if it's done in april... but this is September.

I'm speechless.

mysticsoto
09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Walker stinks, but everyone said last year he was our best Olineman by far.That is kinda scary that one year later he has digressed so much, or that being the best of an all trash line meant nada.

I prefer what Bell brings to the line being better on his feat and more athletic, plus we know what Walker is... decent to crappy at best. We don't know yet what Bell is about. We will see. Regardless it won't have an effect on overall product. The only thing that it kinda hurts us with is our depth. I rather they bench him and let him be depth in case of injury or just rotate him. Especially considering they said, it wasn't about money.

Walker lost his job, cause he deserved to lose it. He looked like a rookie in 7th rd.

You fail to mention that Walker played RT last year where he showed tremendous consistency and was able to handle the position. He was moved to LT for no reason other than they couldn't come to an agreement with and traded Jason Peters. Walker didn't asked to be moved to LT and nobody that I know ever said, "You know, they should move Walker over to LT." He was fine where he was and certainly was better than what Butler has shown at RT. But the stubbornness of this FO in forcing the issue w/Butler will have one good outcome. Jauron will be our coach for only 1 more season...

billsTOfan
09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Jauron got fired tonight.

Lexwhat
09-08-2009, 11:39 PM
I like Bell a lot, and feel that he will be a very good LT. But I also feel that this move should have been made in June or July. Not 1 week before the ****ing season. Especially after you had your starting OL working together all offseason and training camp and pre-season. :ill:

This is exactly how I feel. Bell has great upside, but he doesn't have nearly enough reps to assume the LT job anytime soon, IMO.

As for Walker -- my Sig hasen't changed in months. Only a fool would think that Walker was capable of playing LT.

Even though I knew this coaching staff was dumb, sometimes they still shock me. Moving Walker back to RT and cutting Butler would've been my course of action.

People compare us to the Lions, but with moves like this, I think the Oakland Raiders are a better comparison.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
i say it's dumb. should have just moved him back to right tackle or just keep him. you can't tell me that chambers is a better back up that langston walker. if that's what you think then you need to put the pipe down.

Bmax
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM

we cut a good RT, who cares about how he does on the left. we let go 4 of our starting 5 linemen from last year... I don't mind them doing that if it's done in april... but this is September.

I'm speechless.

I agree the Bills waited too long to figure this out...I would feel alot better if they had drafted a OT in rd 2 with decent skills...Then signed a OG ..Looks like we will continue to draft OL and DL for the next several years... if any of these guys look shaky this season or the next...

No playoffs 10 years and counting.

Bmax

Al the Bills Fan
09-09-2009, 01:26 AM
I like the move but it is not going to help us in the immediate future (this season) BUT Bell getting more playing time will benefit us in the long term (hopefully) I just wish the move would have been made during the off season so that the line could have play together a bit.

MassEffect218435
09-09-2009, 01:39 AM
It's funny how everyone is now talking about Walker being a "bad LT," just a few months ago everyone was singing his praises saying how losing Peters was no big deal because Walker was here to save the day. Funny how everyone changes their tune as soon as a player isn't on the roster anymore.

Romes
09-09-2009, 01:57 AM
It's funny how everyone is now talking about Walker being a "bad LT," just a few months ago everyone was singing his praises saying how losing Peters was no big deal because Walker was here to save the day. Funny how everyone changes their tune as soon as a player isn't on the roster anymore.

Be careful saying everyone.

I think most people here new he wasn't going to be great. But yeah, I'd say most people thought he could handle the job adequately. Preseason changed a lot of our minds.

Night Train
09-09-2009, 04:28 AM
He wasn't a bad RT...better than Butler, that's for sure.

If they determined he had slowed up too much then so be it.. but you make the cuts when you have more depth at the position.

Tons of youth with zero starts and multiple journeymen backing them up may prove unhealthy for our QB's.

LtFinFan66
09-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Well I can still say I was flew out of Buffalo on a plane with Walker (2007) and met him afterwards in the airport.....back when he was a quality RT for the Bills :up:

don137
09-09-2009, 05:04 AM
I noticed at training camp that Walker seemed winded running the no huddle. Not sure how he played so bad in preseason games because I can't see getting tired from doing 3 and outs.

Dujek
09-09-2009, 05:33 AM
He was a solid RT, but he was never going to be a good fit at LT.

If it wasn't a money move I don't understand why we didn't cut Butler and move Walker back to RT...

TacklingDummy
09-09-2009, 05:37 AM
He played well last year at both LT and RT. WTF happened?

X-Era
09-09-2009, 05:59 AM
I kind of hope we run a zone blocking scheme... Ive always been a fan and it utilizes athletic OLmen.

casdhf
09-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I like Bell a lot, and feel that he will be a very good LT. But I also feel that this move should have been made in June or July. Not 1 week before the ****ing season. Especially after you had your starting OL working together all offseason and training camp and pre-season. :ill: I disagree. Having Walker penciled in at LT for most of the off-season kept all the pressure off Bell. He could learn, develop and focus on LT/RT and not have a single spot light on him. I don't like the way we handled Langston, but I think they're doing the right thing by Bell.

Jan Reimers
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
So much for cohesion and continuity. It's now confusion and chaos.

SABURZFAN
09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
So much for cohesion and continuity. It's now confusion and chaos.

and the Old Fart pennypinching his way to save $3 million too.

unpaid_bills
09-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Agree. Walker was Avg at best. Overweight, Slow did not appear to be in shape. Bell is a monster, he will surprise if can stay healthy. Eric Wood is a beast also dont underestimate our guards. they are just very inexperienced. If you get rid of the ball quickly and have a well desinged play the OL will loook alot better. Much of the reason our OL looks like crap over the past several years is the plya calling and how we were using the players we have .. just my opinion.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> So much for cohesion and continuity. It's now confusion and chaos.

Why do you say that. Most of it's still there. The rightside remains fully intact. I would of like to see Walker at RT to but to say Butler has been terrible there is a lie. The guy has played well in the games.

EDS
09-09-2009, 08:20 AM

I'm speechless.

Bingo.

The fact that he was never going to succeed as a left tackle was obvious to even the casual observer prior to the start of this off-season, so this now is nothing other then a salary dump.

EDS
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I disagree. Having Walker penciled in at LT for most of the off-season kept all the pressure off Bell. He could learn, develop and focus on LT/RT and not have a single spot light on him. I don't like the way we handled Langston, but I think they're doing the right thing by Bell.

Wouldn't have better for Bell to get used to the "spotlight" during training camp and the pre-season as opposed to the season opener?

Jan Reimers
09-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Why do you say that. Most of it's still there. The rightside remains fully intact. I would of like to see Walker at RT to but to say Butler has been terrible there is a lie. The guy has played well in the games.
I actually like Butler, the rookie guards, Hangartner and Bell. It's just that the O-Line, with Walker, was all new, or at new positions, at the start of camp. Now, after trying to get this very inexperienced unit together all preseason, we make a change at the key position - LT - 6 days before the opener. And Bell has been injured for over 2 weeks, to boot. This may be a good unit down the road, but it really worries me this year.

jdbillsfan
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Agree. Walker was Avg at best. Overweight, Slow did not appear to be in shape. Bell is a monster, he will surprise if can stay healthy. Eric Wood is a beast also dont underestimate our guards. they are just very inexperienced. If you get rid of the ball quickly and have a well desinged play the OL will loook alot better. Much of the reason our OL looks like crap over the past several years is the plya calling and how we were using the players we have .. just my opinion.

This is kind of how I feel, or at least am telling myself.

PECKERWOOD
09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
He was a really good RT, I still don't see why we cut him.

THATHURMANATOR
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
He was a really good RT, I still don't see why we cut him.
Was he a Really Good RT or an adequate RT?

PECKERWOOD
09-09-2009, 10:22 AM

We averaged over 5 ypc on the right side of the line last year, with Walker playing next to Butler. People say that Walker is a good pass protector, I disagree, he is a road grader. Instead of revamping the entire line, we should of just released Dockery & Fowler, picked up Hangartner and drafted Wood and we'd be good to go.

Ingtar33
09-09-2009, 10:24 AM

everyone?

you obviously don't read what i write. I wasn't a fan of the Peter's trade... and even less of a fan of Walker moving to Left Tackle... and really never a fan of Butler moving to Right tackle.

That said I sorta suspected the LT starter on day one would be D.Bell the moment they traded Peters.

Anyone who saw the kid in college knew he has the raw ability to make the leap to the NFL. It was a crime he went in round 7 last year. he was a lot more talented then that. But then he was raw as hell, so i guess it wasn't far from where he should have gone.

PECKERWOOD
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
everyone?

you obviously don't read what i write. I wasn't a fan of the Peter's trade... and even less of a fan of Walker moving to Left Tackle... and really never a fan of Butler moving to Right tackle.

That said I sorta suspected the LT starter on day one would be D.Bell the moment they traded Peters.

Anyone who saw the kid in college knew he has the raw ability to make the leap to the NFL. It was a crime he went in round 7 last year. he was a lot more talented then that. But then he was raw as hell, so i guess it wasn't far from where he should have gone.

Our line should look like: Peters, Wood, Hangartner, Butler, Walker.

Problem is this franchise doesn't make good moves, as a result we typically aren't a very good team.

mysticsoto
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM

He was a pretty good RT certainly much better than what Butler has shown up to now!!!