PDA

View Full Version : Bills are not the cheapest team but are close

Romes
09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
The Buffalo Bills have the eighth least expensive team in the NFL this season.

The total value of all of the contracts of all 80 players the Bills took to training camp this summer was $487.88 million. That ranked 25th out of 32 in the NFL this year, based on league documents obtained by The Buffalo News.

The top spending team — again based on the total value of the contracts of all the players at training camp — was Minnesota, at $736.87 million. Among the other teams near the top were some of the biggest-spending big market teams, such as No. 2 Philadelphia ($721.22 million), No. 3 Dallas ($715.40 million) and No. 4 Washington ($676.88 million).

At the bottom were four teams in total rebuilding mode: No. 32 Kansas City ($392.13 million), No. 31 Tampa Bay ($404.39 million), No. 30 Detroit ($426.35 million) and No. 29 Denver ($428.99 million).

It should be noted that teams will not end up giving all this money to the players on their roster. The figures include some exorbitant salaries at the end of some giant contracts that those players won't see. Some of those players either will get cut or renegotiate their contracts before those payments get made.

Still, the figures reflect the number of marquee players on each team's roster and each organization's willingness to hand out big contracts.

Link for the rest (http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/789046.html)

I found interesting is that the article says 23 other teams use the cash-to-cap policy that has been so widely critisized on these boards.

The way I see it is that the problem isn't the size of the contracts offered, its who we offer them to and who we draft...has nothing to do with being cheap.

Night Train
09-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Looks like Buffalo is trying hard to get into the top 5 of least expensive teams, with it's recent actions.

Does Parrish make it through the week ? Who's next ?

X-Era
09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
The Buffalo Bills have the eighth least expensive team in the NFL this season.

The total value of all of the contracts of all 80 players the Bills took to training camp this summer was $487.88 million. That ranked 25th out of 32 in the NFL this year, based on league documents obtained by The Buffalo News.

The top spending team — again based on the total value of the contracts of all the players at training camp — was Minnesota, at $736.87 million. Among the other teams near the top were some of the biggest-spending big market teams, such as No. 2 Philadelphia ($721.22 million), No. 3 Dallas ($715.40 million) and No. 4 Washington ($676.88 million).

At the bottom were four teams in total rebuilding mode: No. 32 Kansas City ($392.13 million), No. 31 Tampa Bay ($404.39 million), No. 30 Detroit ($426.35 million) and No. 29 Denver ($428.99 million).

It should be noted that teams will not end up giving all this money to the players on their roster. The figures include some exorbitant salaries at the end of some giant contracts that those players won't see. Some of those players either will get cut or renegotiate their contracts before those payments get made.

Still, the figures reflect the number of marquee players on each team's roster and each organization's willingness to hand out big contracts.

Link for the rest (http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/789046.html)

I found interesting is that the article says 23 other teams use the cash-to-cap policy that has been so widely critisized on these boards.

The way I see it is that the problem isn't the size of the contracts offered, its who we offer them to and who we draft...has nothing to do with being cheap.

Huh?

Were 25th in the league in total value of contracts and we end up being a 7-9 team every year.

Spending money isnt the only way to do it, but it helps in many cases. Its the whole picture which includes who we spent the money on, who our coaches are, schemes, jelling, etc...

But, absolutely this matters and we seem to be showing that there is a correlation.

Romes
09-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Huh?

Were 25th in the league in total value of contracts and we end up being a 7-9 team every year.

Spending money isnt the only way to do it, but it helps in many cases. Its the whole picture which includes who we spent the money on, who our coaches are, schemes, jelling, etc...

But, absolutely this matters and we seem to be showing that there is a correlation.

what do you mean by "huh?"?

I just was stating that I think the problem is more about who we spend money on then how much we spend.

We aren't at the bottom of league in spending but if you consider market size we probably should be...so what does the FO need to do...spend money smartly on good players (we haven't done) and draft well (we haven't done) .... (and then of course pick good coaches, have some luck, etc. but this thread isn't about that)

X-Era
09-09-2009, 07:11 AM
what do you mean by "huh?"?

I just was stating that I think the problem is more about who we spend money on then how much we spend.

We aren't at the bottom of league in spending but if you consider market size we probably should be...so what does the FO need to do...spend money smartly on good players (we haven't done) and draft well (we haven't done) .... (and then of course pick good coaches, have some luck, etc. but this thread isn't about that)

Im saying huh to your comment:

The total value of contracts on your team does appear to affect your ability to win. Some teams badly manage it like the Redskins (who still dont have a franchise QB by the way). But most others at the top are more often than not, playoff teams like the Eagles, and Dallas.

And at the bottom, you have teams that are usually at the bottom as far as wins and losses.

Buffalo is 25th and is usually in the bottom half. The numbers seem to correlate... teams that spend more usually win more.

As far as who we draft and who we get in FA, I agree we do a poor job of it.

SABURZFAN
09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
the Old Fart is a HOF cheapskate.