X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Why Walker must go?

I actually give Jauron credit for going along with the plan even though his butt is on the line for this season.

Going into the season, the Bills are determined to have O-Line people with attitude, MOBILITY, and power. blocking must be worked as a unit. It takes just one point of failure to foil the group effort. My friend who works for a local agent has told me many times that it's easy to beat the Bills pass protection. The Bills don't do screens or draws kind of plays to counter pass rush. The defensive coordinator can apply virtually all packages to find a breakthough point. Why? Because Dockery and Walkers cannot move in space. Remember it takes only one linebacker or safty/corner to penetrate though where Dockery/Walker supposed to be to foil the whole play. The only thing the Bills can do is to check down but with no one to block for the backs, they are easily tackled for minimum gains, unlike Kevin Faulk often have in front of him.

I'm sure they were hoping Walker can slim down enough to at least be competent. When he turns out to be not, he has no place on this team, current or future.

Can they plan this better? You may say we could retain Peters. Then we'd have no Wood nor Levitre. In hindsight, Bell's injury set the whole plan back two weeks, but this is inevitable.
  • cocamide
    • Oct 2006

Re: Why Walker must go?

You mean it's not about moving the team to Toronto?

Comment

• GreedoII
      • Aug 2007

Peters was a fat slob too so good riddance to him along with the debacle of a crap line that was built by the overrated chump Levy.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Walker didn't work hard enough to be the best OT he could be IMO. Looking around the NFL how many good to elite level OTs have a giant gut? Not many.

The best OTs in the game have a solid, trim, waistline and are fit.

Look at Clady, Long, Walter Jones, Joe Thomas, Matt Light, Chris Samuels, David Diehl etc. All are fit athletes, not big fat guys.

Bell has the typical mold and athleticism of the best OTs in the game. I'm relieved he is our starter and hopefully Butler will do well on the right side. If not I really think Jonathan Scott can beat him out and be a solid player for us.

Also, look at his arms, he barely has any muscle in his biceps and forearms. Guy is just tall and fat. Not worth the money or the roster spot.
        Last edited by Mahdi; 09-09-2009, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

Honestly I was real angry when we let langston go but if Bell steps in and plays fairly well, I will forget about langston. He wasnt much of a run blocker at all, so we'll see how it pans out

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
            I actually give Jauron credit for going along with the plan even though his butt is on the line for this season.

Going into the season, the Bills are determined to have O-Line people with attitude, MOBILITY, and power. blocking must be worked as a unit. It takes just one point of failure to foil the group effort. My friend who works for a local agent has told me many times that it's easy to beat the Bills pass protection. The Bills don't do screens or draws kind of plays to counter pass rush. The defensive coordinator can apply virtually all packages to find a breakthough point. Why? Because Dockery and Walkers cannot move in space. Remember it takes only one linebacker or safty/corner to penetrate though where Dockery/Walker supposed to be to foil the whole play. The only thing the Bills can do is to check down but with no one to block for the backs, they are easily tackled for minimum gains, unlike Kevin Faulk often have in front of him.

I'm sure they were hoping Walker can slim down enough to at least be competent. When he turns out to be not, he has no place on this team, current or future.

Can they plan this better? You may say we could retain Peters. Then we'd have no Wood nor Levitre. In hindsight, Bell's injury set the whole plan back two weeks, but this is inevitable.
            We could of still had Wood, even if we kept Peters. We traded up for Levitre, so why couldn't we have traded up in the bottom of the 1st for Wood?

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

I still fail to see the reason to cut Walker. Make him a backup but don't cut him. We didn't have that luxury

and yes eat the friggin contract this year. Now we are left with one less vet. If Walker wasn;t going to be it then we should have seen much more of other OL with the 1st string.

What is mind boggling is they actually couldn't make this determination months ago. If they came to this conclusion at the end of preseason then what were they seeing in practices and training camp.

and why did Walker do a decent job for us last year but this year he was not worth keeping ?

Of course he was bent over sucking wind in in preseason.... But they didn't notice that in training camp ?????

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                We could of still had Wood, even if we kept Peters. We traded up for Levitre, so why couldn't we have traded up in the bottom of the 1st for Wood?
                It will cost too much to do so. remember the Losman trade? What we have to do to have that 2nd 1st rounder?

They know they are going to draft real high for Guards. Peters drama just allow them to use the assets to fill another hole or two.

In all fairness, the O-Line of 2008 is built for Losman, Bledsoe type of QBs. Straightforward pass-protect long and throw long. Trent is a different type of QB who will not rely on 5 or 7 step drops.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  I still fail to see the reason to cut Walker. Make him a backup but don't cut him. We didn't have that luxury

and yes eat the friggin contract this year. Now we are left with one less vet. If Walker wasn;t going to be it then we should have seen much more of other OL with the 1st string.

What is mind boggling is they actually couldn't make this determination months ago. If they came to this conclusion at the end of preseason then what were they seeing in practices and training camp.

and why did Walker do a decent job for us last year but this year he was not worth keeping ?

Of course he was bent over sucking wind in in preseason.... But they didn't notice that in training camp ?????
                  I had to think they were hoping to see that Walker can cut it through the camp. Logically that would be the ideal situation: he's barely adequate to get by through 10 games so Bell can get more seasoning. Notice Bell was not getting LT snaps in practice until the 3rd/4th pre-season games. I think the decision was made then but he got hurt which complicated the matters. Had Bell not being cleared to play yesterday, Walker would going into the season as Bills LT.

This is very similar to Butler's getting into starting line-up situations two years ago. He was hurt almost all pre-season, yet they named him the starter once he's cleared to play.

As to why they can't get a firm handle sooner, I think 2 to 3 pre-season games is a reasonable period. They need to play Walker to see if he can cut it, and they need to play Bell to see if he's up to it.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

In all fairness, the O-Line of 2008 is built for Losman, Bledsoe type of QBs. Straightforward pass-protect long and throw long. Trent is a different type of QB who will not rely on 5 or 7 step drops.

no line in buffalo was EVER created for losman we need to get that straight.

losman was told to stay in the pocket when we all know that wasnt his game.

our line here for over 10 years is made for no qb alive

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                      no line in buffalo was EVER created for losman we need to get that straight.

losman was told to stay in the pocket when we all know that wasnt his game.

our line here for over 10 years is made for no qb alive
                      lol, I remember the countless threads you and I or were involved in defending Losman.

I'm on the Trent bandwagon now, though. It's time Bills fans rally around their QB again.

Comment

• jpdex12
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                        lol, I remember the countless threads you and I or were involved in defending Losman.

I'm on the Trent bandwagon now, though. It's time Bills fans rally around their QB again.
                        I agree withthe fact that this team has not provided a competant line for a Bill's QB in the last several years but there is a reason that no other team in the NFL took a chance on Losman after we cut him. The last decent line we had was in the Bledsoe days when we had a pocket passer throw for more than 25oo yards!
                        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

More on Walker saga detail

Buffalo Rumblings' Brian Galliford spoke to a source close to the Buffalo Bills, who provided some insight as to the rationale behind the Bills' release of veteran OT Langston Walker.

I'm guessing that the no-huddle is here to stay.

Comment

• bflojohn
                            • Aug 2005

It seems to me that one of the "mantra's" of the last two or three years is waive the dead weight! This is exactly what the Langston Walker cut is about, in my opinion. The Bills helped themselves, in the long run by inserting 3 young guns who can mature and grow together along the Offensive Line, and I see that as NOTHING BUT a positive!! Walker declared that he didn't want to be a LT, and personally, I think his mentality was such that he regressed badly because of it. Ultimately, Walker let his productivity slip, and that is Jason Petersesque in my view.

Comment

Working...
                            X