• Oct 2008

Don's Crystal Ball Week 1 Picks

THE DON'S

Crystal Ball

2009 SEASON

WEEK 1 PICKS

By DonCanabis/D'BOYZ

Analyst/Godfather

Ok finally the wait is over, the grills have been cleaned the Jerseys have been taken out of the closets and dust has been removed from the foam fingers and hats... The smell of chicken wings and barbecue is in the air; yes 2009 kickoff is on the way, you can stop crying no more Sunday's with the wife and her friends, for the next 22 weeks Sunday’s are reserved for that couch , beer in one hand, chicken wings in the other, God I love football. Let the Games Begin!!!

Tennessee at Pittsburgh -5 .5 Ovr/Und 35
    For the past 5 years all SB winners have won their first Thursday debut game and if Pittsburgh is known for something is tradition; so don’t expect them to break it. Tennessee had their number last year… but do you believe the steeler players and fans forget the disrespect the Titans players had to the terrible towels? I don’t think so it’s going to be a long night Collins.
    Straight: PIT
    Spread: PIT
    Ovr/Und: Ovr

Miami at Atlanta -4 Ovr/Und 43
    The two feel good stories from last year, it will be hard for both teams to repeat what they did last year because of the schedule and division they play. Atlanta made a big overhaul on defense they went young and fast, this move is for the future and will have their problems at first. Chad and that offense looked impressive in the preseason and their defense got better. Take the visiting team.
    Straight: Mia
    Spread: Mia
    Ovr/Und: Und

Kansas City at Baltimore -9.5 Ovr/Und 37
    I like the moves Haley has done to rebuild this team, and it took big cojones to fire the OC one week before the season (it also made other HC step up) but when you don’t like what you’re seeing you have to make the move. I don’t like the Oline especially against the aggressive Baltimore defense we don’t know if Cassel will play or if it will be smart to play him injured against this team.
    With all that in mind take the home team.
    Straight: Bal
    Spread: Bal

Philadelphia at Carolina 1 Ovr/Und 44
    Both teams have been plague with the injury bug. Philadelphia who looks strong during the offseason has big questions in the Oline and defense but McNabb has a tendency to make good teams look bad. I believe the downfall of Delhome has begun but they do have a killer running game. Take the home team in week 1 68% of the home teams take the W.
    Straight: Car
    Spread: Car

Denver at Cincinnati -4 Ovr/Und 44.5
    Right Now it looks like both K. Orton and C. Palmer will play Sunday but the biggest question is how their injuries will affect their game. Denver has major issues yes we all knew that B. Marshall would be reinstated before the game and we knew eventually he would shut up and play but still that lockeroom is divided and Denver has bigger issues than just the health of their new QB. Take Cin.
    Straight: Cin
    Spread: Cin

Minnesota at Cleveland 3.5 Ovr/Und 39.5
    Look I get you don’t want to tell the media who the starting QB will be (B.Quinn) because you don’t want to tip your hand to the other team (B.Quinn) but not tell the team that’s just dumb. It looks like the William twins are going to play and that defense is going to be a nightmare to either QB. Way to start your final HC job Eric.
    Straight: Min
    Spread: Min

New York Jets at Houston -4.5 Ovr/Und 43
    The Mark Sanchez era begins Sunday, it all looks like Schuabb will play but we don’t know what it’s the extent of his injury. I still have big question on Houston’s defense and I do expect an aggressive defense from the Jets it’s going to be a close game there’s still some questions of what both teams can do. Hate week 1
    Straight:Hou
    Spread: NYJ

Jacksonville at Indianapolis -7 Ovr/Und 41.5
    These are usually close good games and there’re BIG question about the colts Oline manning has been hit more this preseason that in some regular seasons. Mighty Mouse is hurt and Gerrard hasn’t look like he did two years ago… They have rebuilt that D-line and Oline but I do believe they’re one year away of really contending.
    Straight: Ind
    Spread: Ind

Detroit at New Orleans -13.5 Ovr/Und 48.5
    This is a big line for a week 1 game but when you went 0-16 and have a rookie QB you have to expect that. There are questions about the health of the Saints rb’s but the backups have looked good so there’s not a lot to worry. I’m not a Stafford believer myself I do believe they will win a few games this year but it won’t be pretty at start.
    Straight: NO
    Spread: NO
    Ovr/Und: UND

Dallas at Tampa Bay 4.5 Ovr/Und 40
    I don’t like the firing of the OC for week 1 when you’re a new HC and have zero Offensive background. I understand things didn’t look good but this move should have been done weeks ago. TB is rebuilding we all know that, Leftwich hasn’t even practice with his WR. They got a good running game but they still have ways to go. People are questioning Dallas not having any real go to guy since TO was released but, they seemed to forget how important Witten is to this offense and how much more balance is going to be. The biggest question in Dallas is depth and if the injury bug start hitting Valley ranch you can smell trouble but right now it’s not the case.
    Straight: Dal
    Spread: Dal

San Francisco at Arizona -6.5 Ovr/Und 47
    SF finished strong last year but none was stronger than the Cardinals I expect them to start where they left on. The 49ers have a good defense that can present some trouble to the Cardinals but this team is going to be too pumped and has too many weapons for the guys of the Sunny State.
    Straight: Ari
    Spread: Ari

Washington at New York Giants -6.5 Ovr/Und 47.5
    The Redskins haven’t click offensively for the amount of weapons they have it just hasn’t show up on the field. The Giants have some trouble with their front 4 once what it look as the most dominant front 4 now it looks like Swiss cheese. But Eli and that defense has had their number in the past years. Take the under in this game. Trust me the Jim Zorn project ends this year.
    Straight: NYG
    Spread: NYG

St. Louis at Seattle : -7.5 Ovr/Und 40
    Injuries hurt Seattle last year… The Rams where just bad one team got better guess who.

Straight: Sea
    Spread: Sea

Chicago at Green Bay : -3.5 Ovr/Und 44.5
    10 Months ago this didn’t look like a great match but after some changes it’s going to be a huge battle both teams looked good in preseason but GB looks to have more weapons if the defense doesn’t fail Rodgers like last year you can take the home team in a close match
    Straight: GB
    Spread: GB

Buffalo at New England : -11 Ovr/Und 48
    I wasn’t going to take the spread for New England when the lines came out but with the firing of the OC and releasing the Starting LT I just don’t know what Juron is doing GL if you’re a Bills fan.
    Straight: NE
    Spread: NE

San Diego at Oakland : -9 Ovr/Und 44
    We keep the tradition of BAD MNF great SNF for another year I don’t like Oakland and I hate the release of Garcia… The distractions of this week will hurt SD I expect a close game I na game that it shouldn’t be close.
    Straight: SD
    Spread: OAK
    Ovr/Und: OVR

Hot Picks
    Dallas (league)
    Minnesota (league)
    Baltimore (league)
    Cincinnati
    Pittsburgh
    New England
  • PECKERWOOD
    Defies all logic
    • Oct 2006

Re: Don's Crystal Ball Week 1 Picks

My predictions:

Tennessee over Pittsburgh

Atlanta over Miami

Baltimore over Kansas City

Philadelphia over Carolina

Denver over Cincinnati

Cleveland over Minnesota

NYJ over Houston

Indy over Jacksonville

New Orleans over Detroit

Dallas over Tampa Bay

Arizona over San Fran

Washington over NYG

St. Louis over Seattle

Chicago over Green Bay

Buffalo over New England

Oakland over San Diego

Comment

• DonCanabis
      • Oct 2008

you really believe the bills are going to beat NE after all that's happened

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by DonCanabis
        you really believe the bills are going to beat NE after all that's happened
        They got alot of new faces on defense, only 5 starters from last year are returning this year.

I think our defense verse their offense will be exciting. I think they will move the ball but we aren't going to break. Plus, I never say Buffalo is going to lose, never, ever. The Houston Oilers game years back should be evidence as to why fans should never give up on their team!

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

Those days are LONG gone.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Miami over Atlanta straight up?
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DonCanabis
              • Oct 2008

Yeah it's my upset of the week

Comment

• DonCanabis
                • Oct 2008

My upset of Miami over Atlanta is Doomed P.King just called the same upset Crap...

Comment

• DonCanabis
                  • Oct 2008

Hines Ward has cost me my first W in the Spread on my predictions... How can you fumbloe i nthe final minutes 5yards from the winning TD you big dummy

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Well, on the Pitt Tennessee game, you were 1 out of three, Don. You got the winner, missed on the spread and the over/under.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• DonCanabis
                      • Oct 2008

yeah the Over was doomed form the first half I expected a drop off from the Ten defense... And I expected their offense to show me what they did nothing. but at the end Ward cost me the line with that fumble.

That's what I hate about predictions you can do all the work but sometimes it's just baaad luck.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

I flubbed the dub on my TEN vs PIT prediction. I knew the history of the titans against pittsburgh, that's why I picked em. Plan kind of back fired on me, the rapist had a great game for pissburgh.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                          • Jan 2003

Thought I would check in on how the crystal ball faired so far in week one. Could be fun !

Dons picks so far at 8:25 EST Sunday night. 3 games have not been played yet.

Chicago/Green Bay
                          Buffalo/NE
                          S Diego/Oakland

Ok, the record of his picks so far.

Picking straight up winners 8-5
                          Picking against the pt spread 6-7
                          Over/Unders 9-4

Hot Picks he is 3-2 vs the spread with NE yet to play.

He can make himself look alot better by pulling out the last 3. But so far nothing special in these picks. The main picks as far as im concerned are always vs the spread where he is picking the poorest at this point. Decent job on the Over unders.
                          Last edited by Billz_fan; 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM.
                          The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

8-6 so far, haha.

Comment

• DonCanabis
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Billz_fan
                              Thought I would check in on how the crystal ball faired so far in week one. Could be fun !

Dons picks so far at 8:25 EST Sunday night. 3 games have not been played yet.

Chicago/Green Bay
                              Buffalo/NE
                              S Diego/Oakland

Ok, the record of his picks so far.

Picking straight up winners 8-5
                              Picking against the pt spread 6-7
                              Over/Unders 9-4

Hot Picks he is 3-2 vs the spread with NE yet to play.

He can make himself look alot better by pulling out the last 3. But so far nothing special in these picks. The main picks as far as im concerned are always vs the spread where he is picking the poorest at this point. Decent job on the Over unders.

So it ended

11-5
                              8-8
                              11-5

pretty avrg for my standarts I'm upset with it....

Comment

Working...
                              X