PDA

View Full Version : very encouraged since AVP took over the job

BillsWin
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
It seems to me that Turk's attitude was not the kind of presence you want in the lockeroom. It also seems that his playcalling was rubbing the team's play makers the wrong way.

Turk claims that Dick wants a pop warner offense. Is it really a bad thing that we want to simplify things and focus on what we can execute well?

Someone posted in another thread that throwing deep wasnt simplifying and that we wouldnt throw deep.

Well, it appears we are practicing throwing deep which apparently the Bills stopped doing once preseason started.

Also, throwing down field isnt complicated. it is the fancy formations and motioning of wide receivers and where they lineup that can get too complicated.

we can stay simple and still pound the rock, run what we do well and take some risks.

It appears that is what AVP has been doing. The players seem to be responding to it in a positive way.

Alot of negative Nancys on here are saying that AVP can't do better than Turk with the same offense.

but first off,

we can't get much worse.

and second off, yes he can make it different.

An offense, no matter how basic or complicated can look completely different with another coach running the offense.

For example.

Turk was calling the plays.

1st down, he runs an inside run to the right with Marshawn Lynch for about 4 yards.

2nd down he runs a short underneath where Trent dunks it to Schouman for 8 yards. First down.

1st down, he runs. 3 yards.

2nd down, he runs 4 yards,

3rd down he runs. 1 yard.

punt.

Maybe AVP calls

1st down a slant route to Evans for 8 yards.

2nd down, an off tackle run for 1-2 yards to get the first down.

1st down. a deep wheel route to Owens on the outside.

2nd down a run.

3rd down playaction roll out.

yada yada yada. we are taking more chances and the offense looks really different.

really, there are many possible ways to call the same plays. Turk may have enjoyed run run short pass punt. but maybe AVP will rather go for the touchdown or at the very least the 35 yard pass rather than the 7.

at any rate it is all up to Trent Edwards.

I would put money on Owens and Evans over almost any DB corp in the league. AVP will call the plays, but Edwards will have to execute those plays.

Oh, and Bell will do just fine. :brilliant:

Jaybird
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
all for it!

Positive energy creates good karma.

Nighthawk
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm Ok with being happy about the move, but seriously, how can you even know the guy is better? At least wait until he calls a game or two...anything less and you are making assumptions. I have not said a thing either way about AVP because I'd like to form an opinion from some hard evidence and body of work.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-09-2009, 08:07 PM
rose colored glasses cause blindness
LOL
Just goofin' wit cha

AVP has my backing... but if the offense sees the ball for more then 20 min. on Monday against the pats I'll eat my hat.

BillsWin
09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm Ok with being happy about the move, but seriously, how can you even know the guy is better? At least wait until he calls a game or two...anything less and you are making assumptions. I have not said a thing either way about AVP because I'd like to form an opinion from some hard evidence and body of work.
I know what you mean. Im reserving complete judgment until I see a few games with AVP calling plays. Im just saying that so far the move has looked positive.

paladin warrior
09-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Sound like trying to make 1st down. and get closer to the red zone.

yordad
09-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I know I said the same thing when Fairchild left, but seriously, it can't get worse. Van Pelt really may make a difference.

malo
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
AVP might make the difference between 2-14 and 3-13.

Nighthawk
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I know I said the same thing when Fairchild left, but seriously, it can't get worse. Van Pelt really may make a difference.

Yes, yes it can and that's why I'll take a "wait and see" approach to AVP.

yordad
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes, yes it can and that's why I'll take a "wait and see" approach to AVP.How can it get worse? Our first team offense gave up more points than it scored.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Let's see how he calls the game.

ddaryl
09-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm excited for AVP and I feel better that he's our OC... I do view it as a positive, but the timing sucked. However I'm still happier for it.

mybills
09-10-2009, 08:06 AM
at any rate it is all up to Trent Edwards.

Absolutely is, especially in a no huddle offense.

AVP has the QB drive in him, even though he never could on the field. It's something all QB's have within. I'm sure Trent has it, too. As did JP. I think having Alex in there will put an end to screwing up our potentially great QB's. :up:

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm only encouraged by change. I'm only happy that we're ATTEMPTING to change something that didn't work. Hopefully it brings positive results.

Dujek
09-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Of all the changes we could have made, I think ****-canning Schonert could have the most positive results in the short-term. I think AVP could turn into a decent OC given time, but I'm not expecting a miracle turnaround this week.

Hemlepp53
09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
It appears that everything over the past week things have been turning around from an attitude and confidence stand point. Trent seems refreshed, Lee seems excited, and TO is Ready.... All we need is for Dick to stay out of AVP's way and we might do something. I am very interested to see what AVP has planned. The season opener is the best time to shine and silence the critics.... Would love to see everyone with crow feathers on their chins come Tuseday Morning... Eat Up Boyz...