PDA

View Full Version : I'm defending Edwards here before he becomes the scapegoat.

HHURRICANE
09-10-2009, 10:01 AM
In my opinion I believe that Edwards has all of the tools to be a very good QB in this league.

I also believe that the FO has created a no win situation for him. Edwards is not Michael Vick. His problems at Stanford stemmed from an atrocious o-line so in Bills fashion we are going to turn him into the next David Carr.

Kind of like forcing a decent RT to play the LT position even though he has struggled playing there his whole career.

I'm not saying that Edwards is perfect. In that Cleveland game last year he struggled mightily. But instead of the OC realizing that he needed to settle down he calls a stupid play in our end and adds gasoline to the fire.

There is no doubt that he is going to get rolled here. For example:

1st-10, BUF23 11:35 Player rushed to the right for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, BUF26 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens down the middle for 16 yard gain
1st-10, BUF42 11:35 Player rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
2nd-6, BUF46 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens to the right for 11 yard gain
1st-10, TEN43 11:35 Player rushed to the right for no gain
2nd-10, TEN43 11:35 T. Edwards passed to D. Fine down the middle for 7 yard gain
3rd-3, TEN36 11:35 T. Edwards rushed to the right for 8 yard gain
1st-10, TEN28 11:35 F. Jackson rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, TEN27 6:55 M. Griffin intercepted T. Edwards for 2 yard loss. lateral to K. Bulluck for 22 yards

On the game day thread Edwards was getting blamed for the int. until you see the replay and watch Edwards hand get hit by his o-lineman.

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree on this assesment.

mybills
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
The QB is responsible for calling the plays in a no huddle offense. It will be largely up to him to call them right.

HHURRICANE
09-10-2009, 10:13 AM
The QB is responsible for calling the plays in a no huddle offense. It will be largely up to him to call them right.

Calling the right plays and having them executed are two different things. By the way Van Pelt calls the plays, not Edwards.

I watched an incomplete pass to Parrish where the ball was thrown perfectly but Roscoe was late. Do you know why? Because he got blown up at the line and the 1/2 second cost him and Edwards the completion.

I believe that Edwards has the weapons that he didn't have last year so that excuse is off the table. But if the o-line doesn't block than what is he supposed to do?

yordad
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I am not sure what this thread is about. I am not trying to be funny, I seriously do not know.

BAM
09-10-2009, 10:17 AM

I'm pretty sure they haven't given Edwards the play-calling duties yet... someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember discussions on the subject.

yordad
09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
He makes adjustments, he don't call the initial play. Either way, he will have to get them in and out of the right checks.

mybills
09-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure they haven't given Edwards the play-calling duties yet... someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember discussions on the subject.
Weird, then the NFLN guys are under the wrong impression, too.

Anyway HH, that may be the case at the line..but other things will dictate if it's him or not.

For example: When we see Lee or TO running a different route and Trent throws it way off course, who's fault is it?

mybills
09-10-2009, 10:22 AM
He makes adjustments, he don't call the initial play. Either way, he will have to get them in and out of the right checks.
Thank you! They don't all have headphones in their helmets, they get the calls from Trent!

Mahdi
09-10-2009, 10:25 AM
In my opinion I believe that Edwards has all of the tools to be a very good QB in this league.

I also believe that the FO has created a no win situation for him. Edwards is not Michael Vick. His problems at Stanford stemmed from an atrocious o-line so in Bills fashion we are going to turn him into the next David Carr.

Kind of like forcing a decent RT to play the LT position even though he has struggled playing there his whole career.

I'm not saying that Edwards is perfect. In that Cleveland game last year he struggled mightily. But instead of the OC realizing that he needed to settle down he calls a stupid play in our end and adds gasoline to the fire.

There is no doubt that he is going to get rolled here. For example:

1st-10, BUF23 11:35 Player rushed to the right for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, BUF26 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens down the middle for 16 yard gain
1st-10, BUF42 11:35 Player rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
2nd-6, BUF46 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens to the right for 11 yard gain
1st-10, TEN43 11:35 Player rushed to the right for no gain
2nd-10, TEN43 11:35 T. Edwards passed to D. Fine down the middle for 7 yard gain
3rd-3, TEN36 11:35 T. Edwards rushed to the right for 8 yard gain
1st-10, TEN28 11:35 F. Jackson rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, TEN27 6:55 M. Griffin intercepted T. Edwards for 2 yard loss. lateral to K. Bulluck for 22 yards

On the game day thread Edwards was getting blamed for the int. until you see the replay and watch Edwards hand get hit by his o-lineman.
Dont agree.

Edwards has everything he needs to succeed. Our OL is young but very athletic and tough.

Bell will handle those pass rushers off the blindside very well as opposed to what Walker would have done/was doing in preseason.

He has 2 top notch RBs, 1 HOF WR, 1 PB calibre WR, a young athletic TE and 2 very good slot receivers in Reed and Johnson.

Sorry but Trent has no excuses.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
the same excuses were made for the other qb. HH changed his mind and went on to blast the qb. If Trent fails, look for HH to change his mind again.

madness
09-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Turk wasn't even letting him do that this year. Good riddance.

Typ0
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I disagree with a lot being said here. While they send in a play it's the QBs responsiblity to make adjustments at the line and get them running the actual right play at the time. So what we are calling "sending in a play" is actually sending in a formation and there are a number of plays that go with that. The QB has to call the right play. I would suspect this is how most if not all pro teams do it. If the QB isn't getting it right it falls on him unless he was coached wrong but we have no way of knowing that.

Mahdi
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Turk wasn't even letting him do that this year. Good riddance.
Probably why it took so long to get the snap off.

Either way the key to the no huddle is not snapping the ball early. It's getting to the LOS early. Because once you are there, the D can't substitute. Then once Trent is there and the offense is set, he should take his time and evaluate the defense and get us into the best possible play ala Manning.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Either way the key to the no huddle is not snapping the ball early. It's getting to the LOS early. Because once you are there, the D can't substitute. Then once Trent is there and the offense is set, he should take his time and evaluate the defense and get us into the best possible play ala Manning.

I think Turks complicated schemes are what caused the no huddle to get off. Maybe players were confused? According to Chris Browns blog, they are getting the ball out faster under Van Pelt.

DraftBoy
09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
mybills is correct.

In our NFL system the intial play and formation is sent in by the OC, but the QB has 3 to 4 different plays that he has the option to check to at the line, once he sees how the D is lined up. He is supposed to audible or check to a different play that will work the best (or keep the same play).

In college this is while you'll see the O line up and then the entire team look at the sideline for the new play.

Typ0
09-10-2009, 10:47 AM

It's also the option of snapping it right away that is a big advantage of the no huddle. All around it gives you a good opportunity to dictate the pace of the game.

madness
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM

That's exactly why and the reason Jauron wanted to simplify the playbook. Turk never wanted to run the no huddle in the first place so he pretty much did his best to resist what was asked of him.

Fred Jackson sees RPMs of no huddle increasing (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/09/10/fred-jackson-sees-rpms-of-no-huddle-increasing/)

By Chris Brown - Posted September 10th, 2009
Among the more interesting observations of Buffalo’s offensive players with respect to their scheme under new offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt is more downfield throws. But there’s one other that Fred Jackson mentioned that might be even more interesting.
“I think the biggest change I’ve seen is the speed of the offense,” said Jackson. ”We’re moving a lot faster with the no-huddle, I think we’re getting plays off seven-eight seconds faster than we were before and I think a lot of the guys are buying into it. We know what we’re doing now.”
Reading the quote from Turk Schonert over the weekend where he mentioned that Coach Jauron wanted him to simplify the scheme and coupling that with Coach Jauron’s quote from after the Chicago game when I asked him about the speed of the no huddle and he offered the following.
“Obviously you want to be able to have some change ups in this thing, but I like it,” said Jauron after a fast paced performance against Chicago. ”But the faster it is, for me, the better.”
You’ve got to believe Jauron wants a simpler approach in terms of number of plays in for a given week because he wants the no huddle to operate as fast as possible. If they can be successful in moving the ball and getting first downs at top speed, it could tire out the Patriots big defensive line where every man is over 280 pounds.
If Buffalo can execute quickly and effectively to keep Belichick from changing personnel groupings it could be a big edge for Buffalo.

Tags: Dick Jauron (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/dick-jauron/), Fred Jackson (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/fred-jackson/)

Philagape
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
AVP will call the plays from the booth and relay the plays to Edwards through Fitzpatrick.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Van-Pelt-ready-to-assume-command/e644e357-03ac-4788-b480-0694402d8f49

But it's up to the QB to read the defense and find the right receiver. And call audibles.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Dick finally realized you can't run the no huddle with someone who isn't qualified to call it . At least Van Pelt saw it for a couple of years with Kelly.

yordad
09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Dick finally realized you can't run the no huddle with someone who isn't qualified to call it . At least Van Pelt saw it for a couple of years with Kelly.Turk was Boomer's backup in Cincy where they ran a simialr offense.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Turk was Boomer's backup in Cincy where they ran a simialr offense.
and they weren't as good as the bills were they? I'd trust AVP more than I would Turk in running the no huddle and it seems that its starting to show.

DraftBoy
09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
and they weren't as good as the bills were they? I'd trust AVP more than I would Turk in running the no huddle and it seems that its starting to show.
How is it starting to show?

We havent heard a bad practice report yet even before Turk was fired, why would suddenly here any different after the change was made.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
How is it starting to show?

We havent heard a bad practice report yet even before Turk was fired, why would suddenly here any different after the change was made.
in practice. Based on what the players say? Eitherways it was slow when Turk was calling th shots. They weren't huddling but it sure took just as long as a huddle. They only ones we were confusing with the no huddle were our own players.

DraftBoy
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
in practice. Based on what the players say? Eitherways it was slow when Turk was calling th shots. They weren't huddling but it sure took just as long as a huddle.

So in other words nothing has actually been shown. Come on, the players almost always support regime changes in the press. Please don't tell me you're buying this PR crap so quickly.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
So in other words nothing has actually been shown. Come on, the players almost always support regime changes in the press. Please don't tell me you're buying this PR crap so quickly.

well obviously since we havien't seen anything. We can only go by what the players state. 7-8 secs. faster is a huge difference. I also wasn't stating how effective it is , just that it's getting the ball out faster than when Turk was calling the plays.

DraftBoy
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
well obviously since we havien't seen anything. We can only go by what the players state. 7-8 secs. faster is a huge difference. I also wasn't stating how effective it is , just that it's getting the ball out faster than when Turk was calling the plays.

There wasnt a huddle/time issue in practice though, so I dont really care what they say. The issue was in a game time situation, so there response to me is basically a load of crap and means nothing until Monday Night. And even then like you said, it doesnt even begin to cover effectiveness.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
There wasnt a huddle/time issue in practice though, so I dont really care what they say. The issue was in a game time situation, so there response to me is basically a load of crap and means nothing until Monday Night. And even then like you said, it doesnt even begin to cover effectiveness.
since the players are saying it's faster now then there was a time issue at practice since they are able to compare then and now. Obviously I wasn't talking about game time becuase we haven't seen them since Turk was fired.

Mr. Pink
09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Can we just make excuses for every guy that sucks or fails here?

First it was Losman, then Whitner, now Edwards. Yeah there's been guys in between too.

Tim Anderson was good, it wasn't his fault that the players around him weren't.

A player sinks and swims on his own merits. They still have to execute.

The offense should be dumbed down even further than it already is, we can't even properly execute what we're doing now.

Bill Cody
09-10-2009, 11:33 AM

So if TE makes the right call, sets up quickly and has selected an open receiver but someone on the OL whiffs on his block, that's on him?

Or if he throws a tight spiral but the WR drops it, no excuses Edwards, you didn't get it done?

I'm not big on excuses but a lot of people have to execute for a play to work.

Mr. Pink
09-10-2009, 11:35 AM
So if TE makes the right call, sets up quickly and has selected an open receiver but someone on the OL whiffs on his block, that's on him?

Or if he throws a tight spiral but the WR drops it, no excuses Edwards, you didn't get it done?

When Trent checks down to a RB in 1.5 seconds, that's on him.

If the OL whiffs on a block, get rid of the ball faster.

Trent doesn't throw to WRs apparently, so we don't have to worry about a tight spiral to one.

yordad
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM

I'm not big on excuses but a lot of people have to execute for a play to work.One would think that after a WR makes a crazy catch, or a lineman is forced to hold his block another extra second longer, those things balance out.

That is why you are not graded on a single play, but rather the body of work.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Even if he's told by the coaches to do the wrong thing?

It goes both ways FTY. Coaches put players in a postion to win.Coaches are in charge of gameplanning , calling in the rights plays and especailly preparing them before the game.

You can't tell me that when Trent said that "they showed us different looks that we didn't parctice for " falls on the players.

If you can't see that our staff under Dick wasn't even close to being at par with the best teams out there, you're blind.

TacklingDummy
09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
In my opinion I believe that Losman has all of the tools to be a very good QB in this league.

I also believe that the FO has created a no win situation for him. Losman is the white Michael Vick. His problems at Tulane stemmed from an atrocious o-line so in Bills fashion we are going to turn him into the next David Carr.

I'm not saying that Losman is perfect. In that Jets game last year he struggled mightily. But instead of the OC realizing that he needed to settle down he calls a stupid roll out and adds gasoline to the fire.

On the game day thread Losman was getting blamed for the fumble until you see the replay and watch Peters whiff on a block.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Haha! TD.

Mr. Pink
09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Even if he's told by the coaches to do the wrong thing?

It goes both ways FTY. Coaches put players in a postion to win.Coaches are in charge of gameplanning , calling in the rights plays and especailly preparing them before the game.

You can't tell me that when Trent said that "they showed us different looks that we didn't parctice for " falls on the players.

If you can't see that our staff under Dick wasn't even close to being at par with the best teams out there, you're blind.

We can't execute, period.

How do you know the players aren't put in a position to succeed? You don't.

Practicing against different looks is also on the players, you're gonna tell me that all the players are mindless drones and don't do their own film study? Actually judging by how pathetic we are at most facets of the game, they probably don't.

If you can't see the team on the field under Dick isn't ever close to being at par with average teams out there, you're blind.

yordad
09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
and they weren't as good as the bills were they? I'd trust AVP more than I would Turk in running the no huddle and it seems that its starting to show.So, because you feel the Bungles were less successful then the Bills at their 20 yrd old no huddle, that is your evidence that Van Pelt will be better at coaching it then Turk? I think you are grasping at rays of hope here.

PECKERWOOD
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree on this assesment.

I agree with both your's and HH's assesments.

justasportsfan
09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
So, because you feel the Bungles were less successful then the Bills at their 20 yrd old no huddle, that is your evidence that Van Pelt will be better at coaching it then Turk? I think you are grasping at rays of hope here.

Did I say I had evidence? Of course I'm grasping for hope. I'm a bills fan. We have nothing but hope. But if something isn't working you try and fix it. Turk wasn't working then we try AVP. I'll take Kelly's back up over Boomers any day when it comes to attempting to run the no huddle. I saw Turks no huddle. I could've taken a vacation and come back before a snap was made.

HHURRICANE
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Great post.

Like I said the Int came after Edwards started out hot and even scrambled for 8 yards after his o-line broke down, Than comes the pick because his o-lineman gets bullrushed into him as he's throwing the ball and......it's Edwards fault.

People only see what they want to see here.

yordad
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Great post.

Like I said the Int came after Edwards started out hot and even scrambled for 8 yards after his o-line broke down, Than comes the pick because his o-lineman gets bullrushed into him as he's throwing the ball and......it's Edwards fault.

People only see what they want to see here.Ironic. But, I actually wanted to see a superstar.