I'm defending Edwards here before he becomes the scapegoat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

I'm defending Edwards here before he becomes the scapegoat.

In my opinion I believe that Edwards has all of the tools to be a very good QB in this league.

I also believe that the FO has created a no win situation for him. Edwards is not Michael Vick. His problems at Stanford stemmed from an atrocious o-line so in Bills fashion we are going to turn him into the next David Carr.

Kind of like forcing a decent RT to play the LT position even though he has struggled playing there his whole career.

I'm not saying that Edwards is perfect. In that Cleveland game last year he struggled mightily. But instead of the OC realizing that he needed to settle down he calls a stupid play in our end and adds gasoline to the fire.

There is no doubt that he is going to get rolled here. For example:

1st-10, BUF23 11:35 Player rushed to the right for 3 yard gain
    2nd-7, BUF26 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens down the middle for 16 yard gain
    1st-10, BUF42 11:35 Player rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
    2nd-6, BUF46 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens to the right for 11 yard gain
    1st-10, TEN43 11:35 Player rushed to the right for no gain
    2nd-10, TEN43 11:35 T. Edwards passed to D. Fine down the middle for 7 yard gain
    3rd-3, TEN36 11:35 T. Edwards rushed to the right for 8 yard gain
    1st-10, TEN28 11:35 F. Jackson rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
    2nd-9, TEN27 6:55 M. Griffin intercepted T. Edwards for 2 yard loss. lateral to K. Bulluck for 22 yards

On the game day thread Edwards was getting blamed for the int. until you see the replay and watch Edwards hand get hit by his o-lineman.
    Last edited by HHURRICANE; 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: I'm defending Edwards here before he becomes the scapegoat.

I agree on this assesment.

Comment

• mybills
      81 st zoner
      • Jul 2002

The QB is responsible for calling the plays in a no huddle offense. It will be largely up to him to call them right.
      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mybills
        The QB is responsible for calling the plays in a no huddle offense. It will be largely up to him to call them right.

Calling the right plays and having them executed are two different things. By the way Van Pelt calls the plays, not Edwards.

I watched an incomplete pass to Parrish where the ball was thrown perfectly but Roscoe was late. Do you know why? Because he got blown up at the line and the 1/2 second cost him and Edwards the completion.

I believe that Edwards has the weapons that he didn't have last year so that excuse is off the table. But if the o-line doesn't block than what is he supposed to do?

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

I am not sure what this thread is about. I am not trying to be funny, I seriously do not know.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• BAM
            • Sep 2003

I'm pretty sure they haven't given Edwards the play-calling duties yet... someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember discussions on the subject.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

He makes adjustments, he don't call the initial play. Either way, he will have to get them in and out of the right checks.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM
                I'm pretty sure they haven't given Edwards the play-calling duties yet... someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember discussions on the subject.
                Weird, then the NFLN guys are under the wrong impression, too.

Anyway HH, that may be the case at the line..but other things will dictate if it's him or not.

For example: When we see Lee or TO running a different route and Trent throws it way off course, who's fault is it?
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                  He makes adjustments, he don't call the initial play. Either way, he will have to get them in and out of the right checks.
                  Thank you! They don't all have headphones in their helmets, they get the calls from Trent!

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    In my opinion I believe that Edwards has all of the tools to be a very good QB in this league.

I also believe that the FO has created a no win situation for him. Edwards is not Michael Vick. His problems at Stanford stemmed from an atrocious o-line so in Bills fashion we are going to turn him into the next David Carr.

Kind of like forcing a decent RT to play the LT position even though he has struggled playing there his whole career.

I'm not saying that Edwards is perfect. In that Cleveland game last year he struggled mightily. But instead of the OC realizing that he needed to settle down he calls a stupid play in our end and adds gasoline to the fire.

There is no doubt that he is going to get rolled here. For example:

1st-10, BUF23 11:35 Player rushed to the right for 3 yard gain
                    2nd-7, BUF26 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens down the middle for 16 yard gain
                    1st-10, BUF42 11:35 Player rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
                    2nd-6, BUF46 11:35 T. Edwards passed to T. Owens to the right for 11 yard gain
                    1st-10, TEN43 11:35 Player rushed to the right for no gain
                    2nd-10, TEN43 11:35 T. Edwards passed to D. Fine down the middle for 7 yard gain
                    3rd-3, TEN36 11:35 T. Edwards rushed to the right for 8 yard gain
                    1st-10, TEN28 11:35 F. Jackson rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
                    2nd-9, TEN27 6:55 M. Griffin intercepted T. Edwards for 2 yard loss. lateral to K. Bulluck for 22 yards

On the game day thread Edwards was getting blamed for the int. until you see the replay and watch Edwards hand get hit by his o-lineman.
                    Dont agree.

Edwards has everything he needs to succeed. Our OL is young but very athletic and tough.

Bell will handle those pass rushers off the blindside very well as opposed to what Walker would have done/was doing in preseason.

He has 2 top notch RBs, 1 HOF WR, 1 PB calibre WR, a young athletic TE and 2 very good slot receivers in Reed and Johnson.

Sorry but Trent has no excuses.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

the same excuses were made for the other qb. HH changed his mind and went on to blast the qb. If Trent fails, look for HH to change his mind again.
                      Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-10-2009, 10:33 AM.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

Turk wasn't even letting him do that this year. Good riddance.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

I disagree with a lot being said here. While they send in a play it's the QBs responsiblity to make adjustments at the line and get them running the actual right play at the time. So what we are calling "sending in a play" is actually sending in a formation and there are a number of plays that go with that. The QB has to call the right play. I would suspect this is how most if not all pro teams do it. If the QB isn't getting it right it falls on him unless he was coached wrong but we have no way of knowing that.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by madness
                            Turk wasn't even letting him do that this year. Good riddance.
                            Probably why it took so long to get the snap off.

Either way the key to the no huddle is not snapping the ball early. It's getting to the LOS early. Because once you are there, the D can't substitute. Then once Trent is there and the offense is set, he should take his time and evaluate the defense and get us into the best possible play ala Manning.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              Probably why it took so long to get the snap off.

Either way the key to the no huddle is not snapping the ball early. It's getting to the LOS early. Because once you are there, the D can't substitute. Then once Trent is there and the offense is set, he should take his time and evaluate the defense and get us into the best possible play ala Manning.
                              I think Turks complicated schemes are what caused the no huddle to get off. Maybe players were confused? According to Chris Browns blog, they are getting the ball out faster under Van Pelt.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X