PDA

View Full Version : Source: Runyan is just "exploring his options" with Bills

patmoran2006
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I've been told tonight by a knowledgable source that offensive tackle Jon Runyan is indeed scheduled to visit with the Buffalo Bills, but that is he is merely "exploring his options"

One thing is nearly certain, Runyan will not be signing with the Bills on Friday or anytime this weekend. If Buffalo were to sign him before Saturday, then his entire salary for 2009 would be fully guarenteed. The Bills of all teams are not going to do that with a 35 year old coming off surgery.

Im told its highly probable Runyan will end up resigning with Philadelphia, as early as the middle of next week.

So while it's obviously a possibility the Bills blow him away with an offer, conventional wisdom says it's highly doubtful. The chances or Runyan signing with Buffalo are very small, and the chances of him being in a Bills uniform for the season opener are pretty much non-existant.

MassEffect218435
09-11-2009, 12:52 AM
He's using teams like the Bills to bargain for more money with Philly. He'll be an Eagle next week.

THATHURMANATOR
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Again I am fine with that. If we blew the line up and are going young why bring in a washed up 35 year old?

I won't be pissed if he is signed but I am not going to worry.

ddaryl
09-11-2009, 07:53 AM
no surprises really... too bad cause we have money to burn and we need a prescence like him in our locker room, and to mentor our young OL's

MassEffect218435
09-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Again I am fine with that. If we blew the line up and are going young why bring in a washed up 35 year old?

I won't be pissed if he is signed but I am not going to worry.
When healthy Runyan is hardly washed up.

Mahdi
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
If we sign him, bonus, if not, moving on.

THATHURMANATOR
09-11-2009, 07:56 AM
no surprises really... too bad cause we have money to burn and we need a prescence like him in our locker room, and to mentor our young OL's
You do make a good point. Runyan is a true badass and could help mold the young badasses we currently have....

SABURZFAN
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
When healthy Runyan is hardly washed up.

that's true but is he fully recovered from his injury?

yordad
09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Dude is old, out of game shape, only suitable for the right, and coming off leg surgury. I fail to see why he is a better option the Langston. Either way though, I didn't want to cut Walker either.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
There is no way he plays LT, we wouldn't be bringing him in for that. He is strickly a RT and the Bills no it. Bell has earned this spot.

casdhf
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
When healthy Runyan is hardly washed up.When was the last time he was healthy?

THATHURMANATOR
09-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Dude is old, out of game shape, only suitable for the right, and coming off leg surgury. I fail to see why he is a better option the Langston. Either way though, I didn't want to cut Walker either.
I fail to see why he is a better option than Butler either.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I like Runyan and want him signed but I've like how Butler's progressed this preseason. So it really doesn't bother me either way, the only reason I want him is so that we can slide Bulter to guard and let Levitre develop at a normal pace.

MassEffect218435
09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
that's true but is he fully recovered from his injury?He's been medically cleared to play this season.

SABURZFAN
09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
He's been medically cleared to play this season.

i just wish i had a rich friend to confirm that he is fully recovered though.

ddaryl
09-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Attitude and mentoring capablilities. If the Bills did sign him he would be a back up for the 1st few weeks at least. His micro-fracture isn't a huge injury, but game shape is definitley a problem. However watching langston with his hands on his hips sucking wind after a couple of series wasn't exactly game shape either

However Runyans prescence alone is worthy of consideration IMO

yordad
09-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Walker is just as mean as the next guy. Dude was straight up fired up at times. He had serious attitude. I'm not all that sure these guys need a mentor.

I am just saying, I am not convinced Walker wouldn't have done just fine back on the right. In the least, as a backup.

Runyan will not be offered a big contract. I think he will help, but ol' Ralphy is just going to pocket 40 million in cash to cap this year.

Sorry folks.

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
He's been medically cleared to play this season.

You and I both know that is not always worth that much, especially on a 35 year old guy. If his body is breaking down, it is only a matter of time before some other part gets injured.

I think he still has the ability and smarts to play, but his durability is definitely a question mark. I am not opposed to the Bills signing him, but he is not a cure all.

TigerJ
09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
That describes what I expected the situation to be just about exactly.

capitolneal
09-11-2009, 09:59 AM
i remeber when knox was head coach and he brought in a old safety named Simpson, and a lb named robinson and they were vital, they taught losers how to win we need that in our locker room he would be a nice pick=up even if he was a back up

Kelly The Dog
09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
The real issue is the health of Shawn Andrews, not the health of Jon Runyan. If Andrews is healthy, Runyan plays back-up on the Eagles. Andrews is limping now and held out of practice a little. That's why they are looking at bringing Runyan back. But I don't think many people right now that aren't Jon Runyan know whether he would prefer to start on the Bills or be a back-up on the Eagles in the last year or two of his career. It's pretty easy to predict he would rather be a starter on the Eagles than a starter on the Bills, so if he thought Andrews was not going to be healthy, it makes a huge difference in his decision.

Chances are, Shawn Andrews is going to start the majority of the year at RT for the Eagles, and they have Winston Justice backing him up. If Runyan just wants a job and a chance to be back with his teammates on the team he loves, he will re-sign with the Eagles. If his motivation is that he wants to play another year or two and get in the action, there is a decent chance he looks hard at the Bills.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Actually, his brother Stacey is penciled in there. They made the move mid august. Shawn would go back to RG.

ddaryl
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Walker is just as mean as the next guy. Dude was straight up fired up at times. He had serious attitude. I'm not all that sure these guys need a mentor.

I am just saying, I am not convinced Walker wouldn't have done just fine back on the right. In the least, as a backup.

Runyan will not be offered a big contract. I think he will help, but ol' Ralphy is just going to pocket 40 million in cash to cap this year.

Sorry folks.

I never really saw it with Walker, not with consistency... Usually a maddog OL with attitude can run block Well and other teams D fear facing them... Nobody feared Walker IMO. Nobody feared anyone on our OL last year though

yordad
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I never really saw it with Walker, not with consistency... Usually a maddog OL with attitude can run block Well and other teams D fear facing them... Nobody feared Walker IMO. Nobody feared anyone on our OL last year thoughWalker was pumped up half the time. Heck, it even looked like he had tears in his eyes sometimes. And, I think if you checked (if there is a way to) you would find our highest ypc was over in his direction.

jamze132
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Although Butler hasn't impressed thus far, I don't want a 35 year old guy who had surgery and is completely out of game shape. Not that it would really hurt this O-line...

patmoran2006
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Although Butler hasn't impressed thus far, I don't want a 35 year old guy who had surgery and is completely out of game shape. Not that it would really hurt this O-line...
True, but for this year, it may save Trent from a broken neck.

MassEffect218435
09-11-2009, 09:30 PM
You and I both know that is not always worth that much, especially on a 35 year old guy. If his body is breaking down, it is only a matter of time before some other part gets injured.

I think he still has the ability and smarts to play, but his durability is definitely a question mark. I am not opposed to the Bills signing him, but he is not a cure all.I was simply answering the post.

As far as him coming to Buffalo, it would make no sense. Honestly, it's clear that the team is in 100% rebuild mode. Why start bringing in stringy veterans now? By the way, I don't know if I'd want him in Buffalo anyway. Should have just hung on to Walker.

jamze132
09-12-2009, 12:54 AM
True, but for this year, it may save Trent from a broken neck.
I think Trent is doomed until the no-huddle is scrapped.

ddaryl
09-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I think Trent is doomed until the no-huddle is scrapped.

The only saving grace to this whole No Huddle fiasco is the TO factor. :jig:

I love the no huddle but it is hard enough to implement with a OL who has multipe years together. The Bills have a 100% revamped OL with 2 rookies a 1st year starter, a Bills vet playing a new position , and a 1st year with the team FA Center. :bath: This OL will be exposed...

I would feel alot better if they decide to huddle much of the time, and use the no huddle as a sudden switch of gears move

SquishDaFish
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Im sure the coaches know what the players can handle more then you few. If they thought they couldnt handle it im sure they wouldnt try.

jamze132
09-13-2009, 01:44 AM
I think that if a coach wants to implement a no huddle style of offense he needs to do it in his first season at the helm and preferably with a young team. The first year is probably going to suck for the QB and O-line but by year 2, everyone should be on the same page.

The problem for Buffalo, and it is a big one, is that Dick starts this new offense in his 4th and more than likely, final year. So this extremely young and inexperienced O-line is going to have to scrap everything and start over new next year. Now I'm not saying that this is a waste of time, but the offense is yet again being jerked around and will be until Ralph fires Dick and hires someone competent. Trent is on his 3rd OC now. Un****ingreal.