• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

my whitner perspective

i have a very simple outlook on whitner

hes in the wrong scheme

this poor kid coming out of ohio state was touted as a safety with CB skills in fact he did play plenty of man to man at ohio state

now hes stuck in buffalo told to play cover 2 and man the deep zone.

to me thats like telling your landscaper

no dont use that lawn mower use the weed eater becuz id rather have u do it like that.

im giving this kid a pass for his 3 years here for one simple reason

he has no coach no scheme no nothing to help him be a player
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

Re: my whitner perspective

ive been preaching the cover 2 sucks from day 1 in buffalo

and the bills keep trying to square peg round hole most of our first rounders for the last 10-15 years

Comment

• BillyT92679
      • Jul 2002

Yeah, but a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while. If he was great enough he could compensate more for his situation. He's not as bad as others make him out to be but I really think what you see is what you get with him.
      Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Prov401
        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by djjimkelly
        i have a very simple outlook on whitner

hes in the wrong scheme

this poor kid coming out of ohio state was touted as a safety with CB skills in fact he did play plenty of man to man at ohio state

now hes stuck in buffalo told to play cover 2 and man the deep zone.

to me thats like telling your landscaper

no dont use that lawn mower use the weed eater becuz id rather have u do it like that.

im giving this kid a pass for his 3 years here for one simple reason

he has no coach no scheme no nothing to help him be a player
        100% agree. Iv'e always said the Cover 2 is horrible. I hate the scheme, it puts all of our secondary in prevent. Which means, 'hey guys, don't let up the 40 yard pass, but let the underneath 5 yard route get caught, and ran up filed for another 20 yards'. It's stupid, and most teams have abandoned it. I will say, if you have the right personel, this scheme can work better. Recently in 2006, the Colts and Bears were both in the Superbowl. Both ran Cover 2 schemes. However, it is integral to have an outstanding middle linebacker for this scheme. Speed, and flawless tackling is required. We don't have the guys for this. Our LB's are not fast.

I think Whitner can be a good saftey in the right scheme. He hits hard, and never gives up. Yea, we reached for this guy, no question, but he was projected in the first round either way. I would give him one year in a new scheme, under new coaches before I would dismiss him in a Bills uniform.
        Last edited by Prov401; 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Indy plays the Tampa-2, right. Both their S, Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea, manage to make big plays.

Tampa Bay playing Tampa-2 didn't keep John Lynch from becoming a big-time player, right?

You guys love to blame the coaching, but the players are ultimately responsible for their play. Can great coaches make a difference? Without doubt. But they aren't going to turn chicken salad into chicken crap, and visa-versa.

Whitner is what he is, and would be on another team. He is a steady guy who doesn't make big plays.
          Last edited by Ickybaluky; 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• bigbub2352
            • Feb 2005

You can give Whitner all the passes u want, doesnt change the fact he is late to react in covereage doesnt pick off or aniticpate throws very well, gets run over alot with his arm tackling style by RBs when he comes up to make a play, and lets not forget he is a poor blitzer form the Safety position hence why Scott is now the SS, and whitner the 8th overall pick is now at FS
            Guys he is and probably should have been a CB, not a SS or a FS u can pin that on our coahcing and talent evaluation
            sad pick he is a bust
            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

he should have never been drafted at #8... Plain and simple. it was a bizzare reach.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                Indy plays the Tampa-2, right. Both their S, Bob Sanders and Antoine Bethea, manage to make big plays.

Tampa Bay playing Tampa-2 didn't keep John Lynch from becoming a big-time player, right?

You guys love to blame the coaching, but the players are ultimately responsible for their play. Can great coaches make a difference? Without doubt. But they aren't going to turn chicken salad into chicken crap, and visa-versa.

Whitner is what he is, and would be on another team. He is a steady guy who doesn't make big plays.

yeah bob sanders also has the luxury of knowing its a pass on most plays becuz indy is winning by 20

regardless i agree he should be more of a playmaker

i just truly believe no one here is set up to suceed

for example lynch is probably our best player on the team

we reward him by starting 5 new O LINE in 2009

thats all im saying the thinking at one bills drive is flawed

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                  yeah bob sanders also has the luxury of knowing its a pass on most plays becuz indy is winning by 20

regardless i agree he should be more of a playmaker

i just truly believe no one here is set up to suceed

for example lynch is probably our best player on the team

we reward him by starting 5 new O LINE in 2009

thats all im saying the thinking at one bills drive is flawed
                  But, there are examples of guys on bad teams being real good. I mean, Oshiomogho Atogwe plays S for a pretty crappy Rams team, but has managed 16 Interceptions, 11 forced fumbles and 27 passes defensed over the last 3 years. He was play S in a similar scheme as Whitner.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                    My IQ Test results came back negative
                    • Oct 2002

This boards been talking about this for 3 years now....sigh.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                      But, there are examples of guys on bad teams being real good. I mean, Oshiomogho Atogwe plays S for a pretty crappy Rams team, but has managed 16 Interceptions, 11 forced fumbles and 27 passes defensed over the last 3 years. He was play S in a similar scheme as Whitner.
                      bro i agree

whitner should have way better stats but lets be honest

teams have attacked the other safety spot for the last couple years.

i have no clue to where to find a thrown at stat or something along that

i just dont think hes as bad as everyone thinks

hes no way near good enough to be the 8th pick in draft and we should have grabbed ngata

however i do think hes a better then the average safety

in i wont say the right situation.

id say a better situation

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

In 3 years, you should have made one big game changing play, at least.

Whitner's biggest play?

Tackling Johnnie Lee Higgins eight yards deep in the endzone.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                          • Jul 2002

The guy doesn't earn his paycheck...period! Make a play, do something!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Why give him a pass? Dick Jauron know's how to coach secondaries, for as bad of a coach that he is. Our staff has coached up Corner, Youboty, McKelvin, King, Greer and now it looks like Lankster is going to be a stud. I don't know about you guys but we seem to have great coaches as far as the secondary is concerned.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              In 3 years, you should have made one big game changing play, at least.

Whitner's biggest play?

Tackling Johnnie Lee Higgins eight yards deep in the endzone.

week 1 vs the pats his rookie year he won the game but a phantom penalty took it away

Comment

Working...
                              X