Our OL is better than last year's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

Our OL is better than last year's

Just an opinion, but I think this year's OL, even with 3 players who have never started an NFL game, is better than last year's.

Jason Peters gave up 11 1/2 sacks last year. As an LT, the worst in the entire NFL, in only 13 games. He had ABSOLUTLEY NO BUSINESS IN THE PRO-BOWL. And we all know this. He didn't want to be a Buffalo Bill, he isn't a hard-worker, and it is already showing in Philadelphia as he isn't in great shape, and is already having hamstring problems. I, as well as many in the Bills organization feel that Bell is more passionate about this team, has wonderful potential, and is ready to take over this position.

Our centers last year were Duke Preston, and Melvin Fowler. Preston is being bounced around in the NFL, and won't be in the leauge within the next 2 years. Melvin Fowler isn't on a roster this year. Why? They suck. On the introductions, where Jim Nantz goes over our starting offense, on our TV's last year, where it said 'C' for center, it should have been replace with 'lol'. Hangartner is an upgrade, no doubt.

Derrick Dockery is mediocre. However I will say this, if there is any one position that I am overly concerned with the most on the OL, it is our LG spot. I think Levitre is going to go through some growing pains, and Dockery would be a better option at this point. However, I think Levitre is a hard-nosed, blue-collar type of lineman, and will be solid in the future.

Wood is going to be a beast. He makes our line better.

Butler is Butler. He's solid, but not spectacular. However, he suits our line much more than that 500lb slob we just cut. Walker was out of shape, slow, and never made any spectacle out of his play.

I don't see how our line is going to be any worse than it was last year. I only see it being better. Yea, no experience, rookies, new positions...But they have had 3+ months of practicing, and let's face it...they put their hands up and push people out of the way. Seriously. It's not a science, and it will be something that I think this line will get a hold of sooner rather than later.

Would you really rather have last year's OL over this year's? That's the point I'm trying to make.
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Our OL is better than last year's

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
    Butler is Butler. He's solid, but not spectacular. However, he suits our line much more than that 500lb slob we just cut. Walker was out of shape, slow, and never made any spectacle out of his play.

I don't see how our line is going to be any worse than it was last year. I only see it being better. Yea, no experience, rookies, new positions...But they have had 3+ months of practicing, and let's face it...they put their hands up and push people out of the way. Seriously. It's not a science, and it will be something that I think this line will get a hold of sooner rather than later.

Would you really rather have last year's OL over this year's? That's the point I'm trying to make.
    1. Strongly disagree on Butler. He is not even good enough to be "solid."

2. Overall, I also don't think that our line is going to be much worse than last year, but that's only because we were so crappy to begin with. We'll probably improve a bit in run-blocking, but regress in pass-blocking. However, this could also mean Trent gets killed.

3. There's really only 2 possibilities here: We're either just as crappy as last year, or better than last year. I see absolutely no reason why we will get better THIS YEAR.

There's a fundamental problem with the philosophy the Bills are pushing. You can't blow up a whole line like this so drastically, and so suddenly, and expect that things will just fall neatly into place.

The O-Line functions as a cohesive unit, not as a bunch of individual parts. Just for fun: that line reminded me of when Niels Bohr said that one could never predict the properties of water even knowing all there is to know about hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

Anyway, just cuz we're different than last year doesn't mean we'll be better this year.

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Lexwhat
      1. Strongly disagree on Butler. He is not even good enough to be "solid."

2. Overall, I also don't think that our line is going to be much worse than last year, but that's only because we were so crappy to begin with. We'll probably improve a bit in run-blocking, but regress in pass-blocking. However, this could also mean Trent gets killed.

3. There's really only 2 possibilities here: We're either just as crappy as last year, or better than last year. I see absolutely no reason why we will get better THIS YEAR.

There's a fundamental problem with the philosophy the Bills are pushing. You can't blow up a whole line like this so drastically, and so suddenly, and expect that things will just fall neatly into place.

The O-Line functions as a cohesive unit, not as a bunch of individual parts. Just for fun: that line reminded me of when Niels Bohr said that one could never predict the properties of water even knowing all there is to know about hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

Anyway, just cuz we're different than last year doesn't mean we'll be better this year.
      I appreciate your opinion.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

Hopefully, we're going to be nearing the end of the season with the opinion that the OLine will be good NEXT year. So if that makes them better than last it's possible. Last year the OLine was crap anyway it won't take much to see an improvement that doesn't mean they are playing well.

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

I won't go as far as to say that we are better then last year's OL, right now. However, there is no doubt that I feel this line has a great chance to get better and better each week...but it may be painful.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

I think this line has the POTENTIAL to be one of the best OLines we have had in years. Now if the potential is even tapped a little then we will be decent. But if they gel quick and look like that great OLine by week 4 then we will be a great Offense IMHO

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Comparing our OL to our very own OL from last year is not saying much. Thats sad.

You should ask yourselves if our OL can handle the top DL in the league. Set our standards vs. the elite in the league and we won't look like a pop warner team trying to play with the big boys.

Right now we're arguing if we can even go .500 and not if we can win the sb. The top teams have their sight on winning the sb, Dick is trying to go .500. Sad.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                • Jun 2005

I dont think hes trying to go .500 What hes giving us is .500 sure but I dont think thats what he wants

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                  • Jul 2002

I agree that this could be a decent offensive line - down the road.

These guys haven't had ANY time to work together as a unit, and that will show early on. If they stay healthy and can work together to gain some continuity and cohesiveness, they should show continuous improvement as this season goes on, and into next season.
                  Last edited by Mad Bomber; 09-12-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BEASTMODE
                    I dont think hes trying to go .500 What hes giving us is .500 sure but I dont think thats what he wants
                    what he wants and how he runs things are 2 different things. The team is ran like it's trying to fit in .
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-12-2009, 10:52 AM.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                      These guys haven't had ANY time to work together as a unit, and that will show early on.
                      word. Dick isn't decisive which is why we are in this predicament. we have the weapons, but because he took too long to make decisions, we might get screwed early in the season and it doesn't help that we have a tough sched and in a tough division
                      Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

The line is going to struggle all year.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                          The line is going to struggle all year.
                          I thought in another thread that you said you've been telling all of us the exact same thing that lifetimebillsfan did.

I coulda sworn LTBF said this line would improve over the course of the season to become a good line by the second half or towards the end of THIS YEAR!!!

What's it gonna be HH?
                          Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 09-12-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by draz54
                            I thought in another thread that you said you've been telling all of us the exact same thing that lifetimebillsfan did.

I coulda sworn LTBF said this line would improve over the course of the season to become a good line by the second half or towards the end of THIS YEAR!!!

What's it gonna be HH?
                            its gonna be whatever everyone else ISNT saying in the thread that moment..

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                              This offensive line is going to struggle at first--at least for the first one-third to half of the season, maybe longer (depending on Levitre). It should be decent--perhaps even a bit better than that--in the second half of the season (again, depending on Levitre). It has the potential to become a pretty good offensive line next season, if the Bills address the RT position properly....

...Finally: I know that there are those who think that the Bills should have just paid Jason Peters and kept him and are critical of the team for not doing so. As much as I liked Jason Peters--and I was laughed by more than a few people here for saying that he would be the Bills' starting LT a year before he took over the job--in retrospect, I think that trading him was probably the right decision for the team to make, although I would have liked to see them perhaps get more for him from the Eagles.
                              Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              LTBF, great analysis. Thoughts:

1) I've described the o-line exactly the way you have. Maybe some will read your detailed analysis and finally get it.
                              Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 09-12-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X