• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Looking Ahead: Maybin vs. Jake Long

Just wanted to mention this, since I saw the following rotoworld.com report:

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Falcons RE John Abraham recorded just three tackles, but sacked Chad Pennington twice in Sunday's Week 1 win.

Fins LT Jake Long struggled against speed rushers this preseason, and it continued into Week 1, which is a big concern for Miami. Nickel end Kroy Biermann also added a pair of sacks, while DT Jon Babineaux fell on two fumbles.
    (emphasis added)

I'd say this bodes well for Maybin, if he rotates in at RDE against the Dolphins, come week 4. Long had trouble against speed rushers during preseason and in week 1. Schobel also never got a chance to play against Long last year. I'll be very interested to see how the pass rush looks against Miami.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • MassEffect218435
    • Apr 2009

Re: Looking Ahead: Maybin vs. Jake Long

Abraham is hardly a speed rusher, he simply overpowered Long on the first sack and went on a stunt on the second one and was not Long's responsibility, that was the Guards fault. Long did get beat by Biermann who did an excellent job of using his hands to get by Long. By the way, Pennington was doing his OL no favors yesterday.
    Last edited by MassEffect218435; 09-14-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Masseffect218345
      Abraham is hardly a speed rusher, he simply overpowered Long on the first sack and went on a stunt on the second one and was not Long's responsibility, that was the Guards fault. Long did get beat by Biermann who did an excellent job of using his hands to get by Long. By the way, Pennington was doing his OL no favors yesterday.
      From the sounds of it, Abraham did beat Long mostly on bull rushes. I did see Schobel bull-rush Orlando Pace in preseason, so I know that at least that DE can do it.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• MassEffect218435
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
        From the sounds of it, Abraham did beat Long mostly on bull rushes. I did see Schobel bull-rush Orlando Pace in preseason, so I know that at least that DE can do it.
        Abraham beat Long on maybe three plays the whole game. As far as bull rushing goes, Schobel is nowhere even remotely near the player that Abraham is.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Abraham has to be one of the most underrated DEs in the NFL, he is certainly in the upper echelon when he is healthy.

Comment

• MassEffect218435
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
            Abraham has to be one of the most underrated DEs in the NFL, he is certainly in the upper echelon when he is healthy.
            Absolutely, he's always been one of the better DE's in the league when healthy.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Long played well as the game wore on, most of his mistakes were early on. He shut down Abraham most of the game, and stopped him from being a disruptive force in the run game like he usually is.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• MassEffect218435
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Long played well as the game wore on, most of his mistakes were early on. He shut down Abraham most of the game, and stopped him from being a disruptive force in the run game like he usually is.
                Absolutely, as far as run blocking goes Long did quite well.

Comment

Working...
                X