PDA

View Full Version : Its ok if Trent makes mistakes.

nateodoms'bff
09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
The number one thing I have learned from watching all the incredible young QB play this weekend, is that their coaches allow them to make mistakes.

Trent biggest problem has been his inability to bounce back from a bad series or an INT. That's coaching, I know, so maybe losing Turk is going to have a more profound impact than we think.

Obviously, the Bills can't turn the ball over and expect to win, but its how Trent responds to any mistake he makes, that will be the key to his success in this league. Watching Mark Sanchez yesterday, Trent and him are fairly similar. Sanchez is a bit more mobile, but arm strength, smarts, build, they are pretty similar. The difference besides experience, is that Rex Ryan has instilled in him the idea that its ok if he makes a mistake. The defense will get the ball back, and he will have another chance.

The air of desperation needs to be sucked out of the locker room, and replaced with loose, fun football.

ddaryl
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I think Trent's confidence is all depended on him being able to stretch the field. Once he gets the D on its heels he can dink and dunk them to death

Until he has the DB's thinking the long ball is a possibility they'll just give him the underneath stuff and then squash it for little or no gain

SABURZFAN
09-14-2009, 01:08 PM
the Lickers already have Edwards under the microscope. it should be interesting.

HHURRICANE
09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I think Schonert was guilty of zero tolernace on mistakes. Edwards needs his personality to come out in his play. His accuracy has almost hurt him to this point because people don't expect any mistakes. That's ridculous and an unfair expectation of the coaching. "Play not to lose" has been our motto for three years now.

Lee Evans needs to be a difference maker this year. If he can win some battles that will help out dramatically.

Forward_Lateral
09-14-2009, 01:23 PM
It's ok if he makes a mistake or two, but if he has a Delhomme or Cutler like game, the Bills don't have a prayer. Trent needs to play nearly perfect for the Bills to have a chance at winning, IMO. I'm not saying he won't, or can't, I'm just saying that's what needs to be done.

nateodoms'bff
09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Schonert was guilty of zero tolernace on mistakes. Edwards needs his personality to come out in his play. His accuracy has almost hurt him to this point because people don't expect any mistakes. That's ridculous and an unfair expectation of the coaching. "Play not to lose" has been our motto for three years now.

Lee Evans needs to be a difference maker this year. If he can win some battles that will help out dramatically.

I couldnt agree more. This is the reason that T.O. was brought in, to open up the "play maker" Lee Evans. If he can finally use his speed and hands, the offense could pose a lot of problems for the NE defense.

Playing not to lose is the worst philosophy ever in sports. If Jauron is coaching from a place of desperation, and forces Trent's confidence down the toilet, this season is lost. Jauron needs to take a lesson from the Tom Coughlin Lame Duck School of Coaching, and let his players play, and his coordinators call the game.

Philagape
09-14-2009, 01:38 PM
It's Trent's third year, and the mistakes have to be cut down. I think he's gotten enough tolerance considering he's their undisputed starter after two inconsistent years. The training wheels have to come off now.

nateodoms'bff
09-14-2009, 01:56 PM
It's Trent's third year, and the mistakes have to be cut down. I think he's gotten enough tolerance considering he's their undisputed starter after two inconsistent years. The training wheels have to come off now.

What does that mean, "the training wheels have to come off". What do you want him to do that he doesn't do? Throw the long ball? Ok, I agree, but if the guys aren't open, or the plays aren't coming in, what more can he do?

Trent is smart, accurate, and has pocket presence. For the first time in his career, he has a legitimate set of weapons. If he can't get it done this season, then he probably never will, but that doesn't mean he isn't the answer if he makes a mistake tonight, or if he misses and open man.

Does he need to be accountable, yes. Does he need to feel like his job is on the line every time he throws the ball? No. And I think that the firing of Schonert takes a lot of that pressure away.

yordad
09-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I think Trent has been in a shell since he threw that INT vs the Packers. He threw a good pass, but it was an INT cuz the D interfered a split second early and it was never called.

I honestly don't think he hit a receiver over 8 yards away since then.

Philagape
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
What does that mean, "the training wheels have to come off". What do you want him to do that he doesn't do? Throw the long ball? Ok, I agree, but if the guys aren't open, or the plays aren't coming in, what more can he do?

With TO and Evans on the field, I won't believe there's not someone he can find. And at this stage in his career, he should be looking for tighter spaces to throw to.
I also want him not to go into a shell against the 3-4. That's what's messed him up more than anything.