PDA

View Full Version : I loved the playcalling

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
but we're not going anywhere without a vertical game. TO and Evans are wasted talent. Trent played a good game but if we're going anywhere with him, he needs to start using his weapons and stretch the field.

ddaryl
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree..

Nighthawk
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Totally agree...

M
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
What a difference AVP makes.

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
the thing is, I've been calling for screen plays when Turk was the coach. I was calling for play action too. We did both very well but whats the use of having TO and Evans if we don't attempt to stretch the field? We have the weapons. If you have guns, use is in a knife fight.

BSXIII
09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Did either team throw a pass more than 20 yards tonight? With all the Moss-Welker vs. TO-Evans against lousy defenses hype, I was expecting a shootout. Turned out to be the exact opposite.

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Did either team throw a pass more than 20 yards tonight? With all the Moss-Welker vs. TO-Evans against lousy defenses hype, I was expecting a shootout. Turned out to be the exact opposite.
Marsha threw a few.

Trent on a couple of plays, should've attempted to throw to Lee instead of waiting for Lee to get open.

Prov401
09-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Our gameplan on Offesne won us the game. Perfect gameplan. Obviously we didn't win but, Trent looked great. He tried forcing just one pass (to Roscoe), and he stepped up in the pocket a handful of times, something I've rarley ever seen him do. We have to get our Tackle spots figured out, as our Interior O-Line did magnificent. The way the Patriots played, there were actually 3 players on each Evans and T.O.

Bell made many mistakes, and needs to make a quick adjustment.

Crisis
09-14-2009, 10:05 PM
just the presence of to and evans on the field opened up a lot of those big plays that started underneath.

it's hard to take more shots down field when receivers are dropping anything over 10 yards or for a first down....not to mention getting backed up into 20 yard conversions because of dumb penalties.

i think we actually took more shots down the field than the pats did

i'd of liked to see what AVP would do if evans, to, nelson etc all hang onto those balls, and less penalties. he was clearly setting up the big play with his calling but we kept dropping easy passes and taking stupid penalties

trapezeus
09-14-2009, 10:07 PM
this wasn't on the offense. they did well for the most part. the breakdowns in drops and penalties is where they were hurt. no one told bell that you can't be the guy in the middle off the line is on the coaches.

i agree, AVP called a great game. he really did.

but good teams don't lose games liek this. good coaches don't let their team take their foot off the gas like this. Jauron must go now.

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
it's hard to take more shots down field when receivers are dropping anything over 10 yards or for a first down....not to mention getting backed up into 20 yard conversions because of dumb penalties.

I hope we make those adjustments and go down field whether we make a completion with Lee or not. Both Lee and TO were running sideways almost the entire game. I'd like to see us try to hit them running down field every now and then

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 10:09 PM
but good teams don't lose games liek this. good coaches don't let their team take their foot off the gas like this. Jauron must go now.
who said we were good anyways?

ddaryl
09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
AVP gets an A

dropped balls and penalties is what dragged the O down to day

DraftBoy
09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I thought the offense was way too vanilla and could be easily picked up now that its on tape. Too little formations used, too little spreading the field and a lot of similar plays were run. I didnt like it, maybe its because AVP has only had the job for a short time, but I need to see much more mixing it up in the next few weeks.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-14-2009, 10:11 PM
but we're not going anywhere without a vertical game. TO and Evans are wasted talent. Trent played a good game but if we're going anywhere with him, he needs to start using his weapons and stretch the field.
Great post i feel the same way Trent needs to take a chance he has the weapons but he plays not to make a mistake.

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I thought the offense was way too vanilla and could be easily picked up now that its on tape. Too little formations used, too little spreading the field and a lot of similar plays were run. I didnt like it, maybe its because AVP has only had the job for a short time, but I need to see much more mixing it up in the next few weeks.

It wasn't aggressive, thats for sure but at least we're finally able to do the little things like the screen plays and play action. The OL is at least moving their legs too instead of looking like a bunch of fat lards eating their biggie sized triple pounders

cocamide
09-14-2009, 10:14 PM

The offense was very effective. I don't think offenses have to be complicated. Do a few things very well and stick with what works. We had several drives killed on penalties and dropped balls. People will respect the run game and our short passing game which will open up the deep game. NE was giving us the short stuff all day. I'll take five yards a play.

trapezeus
09-14-2009, 10:15 PM
it wasn't aggressive, but they seemed to finally create space on the field...people were open...holes were there.

however, a rookie line probably will give up two sacks in the final 30 seconds.

cocamide
09-14-2009, 10:15 PM
The offense was very effective. I don't think offenses have to be complicated. Do a few things very well and stick with what works. We had several drives killed on penalties and dropped balls, and without those we could've put up some more points. People will eventually respect the run game and our short passing game which will open up the deep game. NE was giving us the short stuff all day. I'll take five yards a play.

Commissioner
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
The future is promising with Alex Van Fat.....

I'm not worried about the vertical stuff... both teams couldn't throw deep cause both defenses were taking it away. That's why all the underneath stuff was available.

Ingtar33
09-14-2009, 10:25 PM

the offense only had 40 or so plays with the football today, thanks to the defenses inability to get the pats off the field.

so how can you say this?

I saw an offensive coorodinator run plays that were working and going back to them over and over again, until the pats showed they coudl stop it.

This is something ALL good offenses do.

I think AVP took what he knew we could run fairly well, paired it down to a plan to beat the pats and implemented it.

was it basic at times? sure. but then a draw is a draw and a pitch is a pitch no matter what formation you run it out of.

Did you know the Colts playbook on any given week is just 20 plays? The Bills in the no huddle days would never enter a game with more then 40 plays in their playbook.

Wait until we see what happens next week before you label AVP's offense "vanilla"... i didn't see that at all outside the use of just 3 formations, he was creative in mixing up the plays, and keeping a Bill Belichick coached defense unbalanced all game long.

If it wasn't for Bell, the Bills would have not had a single 3 and out possession all game.

justasportsfan
09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
the offense only had 40 or so plays with the football today, thanks to the defenses inability to get the pats off the field.

so how can you say this?

I saw an offensive coorodinator run plays that were working and going back to them over and over again, until the pats showed they coudl stop it.

I think AVP took what he knew we could run fairly well, paired it down to a plan to beat the pats and implemented it.

was it basic at times? sure. but then a draw is a draw and a pitch is a pitch no matter what formation you run it out of.

Did you know the Colts playbook on any given week is just 20 plays? The Bills in the no huddle days would never enter a game with more then 40 plays in their playbook.

Wait until we see what happens next week before you label AVP's offense "vanilla"... i didn't see that at all outside the use of just 3 formations, he was creative in mixing up the plays, and keeping a Bill Belichick coached defense unbalanced all game long.

If it wasn't for Bell, the Bills would have not had a single 3 and out possession all game.simple vanilla plays is what the Pats called during Cassels and Brady's first games. Once they got that down, they added more and more and eventually removed the leash

mysticsoto
09-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Fact of the matter is, AVP got Trent to score - something Schonert and Fairchild before him had problems doing. Scoring is more important than having a vertical game. And the only reason there wasn't a vertical game is b'cse that's exactly what the Pats were playing against. They had a CB and a S on both Owens and Evans (most of the time). So AVP and Trent took what was available underneath and did a good job. How anyone can find a fault with this is beyond me!!!
Results are what counts.

lynchisthepresent
09-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Belichick is the greatest coach in the NFL at making adjustments and he had trouble adjusting to our offense. Penalties were killer, but those will get worked out. I am sure the entire oline was very nervous. The Pats safeties were deep the entire game, which opened up everything underneath, which is what we took. AVP did a great job, and the offense should definitely improve as the oline improves.

malo
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Agreed 100%

Michael82
09-15-2009, 12:57 AM
I loved our offensive gameplan and can't wait to see it develop more throughout the season. It looks like we may have finally found ourselves the OC we have been waiting for...

Syderick
09-15-2009, 07:14 AM
AVP, Edwards, and most of the offense did well. They scored more then 10 points.

DraftBoy
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM

so how can you say this?

If it wasn't for Bell, the Bills would have not had a single 3 and out possession all game.

Its not the play calling that worries me, those plays were executed well its the continued use of the same plays over and over again especially on critical drives. To compare our team to the Pats or Coltson right now is ridiculous. You know as well as I do the better DCs in the league will eat up teams who only use three formations and only 20 plays. It works for the Pats and Colts because Brady is the best in the business at making plays from the QB position and had more weapons than any other QB, we don't. Manning is the best play caller Ive ever seen from behind the center, and they call up to 5 plays at a time and he picks the one he wants and sets the protection. You think Edwards can do that?

I said already Im willing to bet AVP's play selection and scheme are a result of only having a week on the job, but I think before we all get high off what was almost in week 1, we need to see what happens in weeks 2-4.

For a team that continually struggles with consistency, its not an easy idea to swallow running only 20 plays. Where the execution has to be both consistency and effective. Only time will tell. In general Im side on having a bigger playbook when I coach. The JV team I worked the offense on a few seasons ago had 35 plays that we worked from, so Im not a big fan of a small playbook in principal.

Im very happy overall with what I saw last night but we still lost the damn game. We still have a lot to improve on.

Mad Bomber
09-15-2009, 07:58 AM

so how can you say this?

That's exactly what the Pats did last night. When our DBs were playing 7-10 yards off the receiver, they killed us with the underneath stuff. We didn't stop it, so they went to it over and over and over again.

madness
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Turk has channeled himself into DB.

justasportsfan
09-15-2009, 09:14 AM
It looks like we may have finally found ourselves the OC we have been waiting for...

easy there buddy. WE thought that about Turk early last season.

justasportsfan
09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Im very happy overall with what I saw last night but we still lost the damn game. We still have a lot to improve on.

we need a vertical game. Lee and TO were running sideways all night. We need those vertical throws Brady made to Watson. If I were AVP vs. tampa, attempt those shots early.

madness
09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
easy there buddy. WE thought that about Turk early last season.

We did?

justasportsfan
09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
We did?
5 straight wins

madness
09-15-2009, 09:35 AM
5 straight wins

I forgot that was last season, it seems so long ago. :sigh: