PDA

View Full Version : The Patriots triple teamed Owens and Evans

Prov401
09-14-2009, 10:34 PM
The Patriots played a weird defense today. They pretty much had 3 players on each Owens and Evans.

The 2 outside LB's were flaring out towards each Evans and Owens, not letting anything underneath get caught by them. The CB's played them one on one for the first 10 yards, and had both safties shadowing Evans and Owens. Even Gruden pointed this out.

Either way, Buffalo's offensive gameplan worked. It put us in position to win (we should of won), and this really looked like the type of Offense Brady was in back in 2001. Alot of greatly times screen passes, safe-play on the QB, and accurate passes to the WR's.

But really, Owens and Evans were blanketed all game long.

Michael82
09-15-2009, 12:30 AM
This is why we should have had Steve Johnson out there too. i have no clue why he was inactive. We should have utilized a 4 or 5 wide set. :mad:

yordad
09-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Roscoe Parrish is useless.

psubills62
09-15-2009, 12:36 AM
This is why we should have had Steve Johnson out there too. i have no clue why he was inactive. We should have utilized a 4 or 5 wide set. :mad:

I would have loved to see more of Reed and Johnson (if he was active). I think they'll need to work that in more often. Our TE's and backs are good, but we need to get it to our WR's sometimes. That one throw to Reed was really good...too bad it was called back by a penalty.

Prov401
09-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I would have loved to see more of Reed and Johnson (if he was active). I think they'll need to work that in more often. Our TE's and backs are good, but we need to get it to our WR's sometimes. That one throw to Reed was really good...too bad it was called back by a penalty.

That throw to Reed was probably the best throw of the night, by either team. That pass was just flat out zipped.

jamze132
09-15-2009, 03:33 AM
If teams are going to double team both TO and Evans, out backs and TEs should have monster stats...

Dujek
09-15-2009, 05:04 AM
If teams are going to double team both TO and Evans, out backs and TEs should have monster stats...

Fred Jackson's figures weren't exactly shabby last night...

jamze132
09-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Fred Jackson's figures weren't exactly shabby last night...
I have no problem at all if him and Lynch are pulling in 70-80 yards per game through screens. Those are easy chain movers.

Beastie Bills
09-16-2009, 07:42 AM

Yep.

It pisses me off when I see him on the field at WR. What is the f'n point? He is completely useless (on offense).

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM

But he scored that TD on...special.....never mind.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Now that Van Pelt can't use Schonerts game plan this week I wonder what he'll do?:couch:

mybills
09-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Owens and Evans were blanketed all game long.
not true.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
not true.

You were there so I'm sure they looked open but remember they have DBs that are hanging on routes.

Commissioner
09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
I have no problem at all if him and Lynch are pulling in 70-80 yards per game through screens. Those are easy chain movers.

I thinkt he screen play is going to be our bread and better this year, with our nasty athletic guards flying down field infront of the RB's.

The 90's Bills used it all the time.... maybe Van Pelt knows a thing or two.

mysticsoto
09-16-2009, 07:56 AM

Johnson is probably still not 100%. But regardless, AVP and Trent did the right thing. They checked down to FJ and ran him more and he was torching them. 3 things contributed to our loss:

- Bell's drive killer penalties
- McKelvin's fumble
- Stupid Prevent D that only works if there's hardly any time left on the clock and not w/a QB who machine gunned his way into the endzone twice in a matter of 2 minutes or so.

Oh, and it seems disconcerting that a no-huddle based offense fell to pieces at the end when no-huddle/hurry up is what they do.

mybills
09-16-2009, 07:57 AM
You were there so I'm sure they looked open but remember they have DBs that are hanging on routes.

Right, and they did, but I really think that it depended on what Trent said the play was gonna be. If he changed his mind at any point once he called the play, it didn't show. If they were open when the call was for a hand off, he was not gonna throw it, he stuck to the play.

ChristopherWalken
09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
The only problem I had with the offense is when the receivers were thrown the football, they dropped it.

Ickybaluky
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm actually surprised they didn't throw to Nelson more. He looks real good catching the ball, but only had 2 catches for 11 yards.

If they were using the S to help over the top the deep middle should have been there, and the Bills never did challenge it. Nelson is the kind of athletic TE who can take advantage of that. Maybe they were worried about the young OL and kept extra guys in to block.

Philagape
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
It's what I've been saying for years .... it's receivers that stretch a defense, not the QB. When you have another guy that defenses have to worry about, it changes the whole field.

Philagape
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
If they were open when the call was for a hand off, he was not gonna throw it, he stuck to the play.

Where was a receiver going to go in the time it takes from the snap to a handoff?
I mean, I know Evans is fast, but still .....

And when during a running play does the QB scan the field for receivers who may have gotten open downfield in the time it takes from the snap to a handoff?

mybills
09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Where was a receiver going to go in the time it takes from the snap to a handoff?
I mean, I know Evans is fast, but still .....

And when during a running play does the QB scan the field for receivers who may have gotten open downfield in the time it takes from the snap to a handoff?
You're misunderstanding what I said. They could get open sometimes, but that didn't change what Trent called and followed through with. It wasn't just on hand offs, he could have had TO down field when he threw a screen pass instead. To me it looked like what ever he said, was done. No last second changes.

Philagape
09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
You're misunderstanding what I said. They could get open sometimes, but that didn't change what Trent called and followed through with. It wasn't just on hand offs, he could have had TO down field when he threw a screen pass instead. To me it looked like what ever he said, was done. No last second changes.

You know what happens on a screen pass, right? Some of the linemen pull out, allowing pass rushers to come practically untouched.
The QB can't suddenly change his mind and look for receivers downfield, while rushers are immediately in his face. He'd get killed.

mybills
09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Now you're just arguing.

Philagape
09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Now you're just arguing.

Well if you want everything you say to go forever unquestioned, just say so and I'll back off. I thought this was a discussion board.

mybills
09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
it is, but you're straying.

ddaryl
09-16-2009, 11:30 AM

our stalled on penalties and a few dropped pases. We could have easily had a couple more scores... Young OL ... Bell needs to limit those mistakes... I beleive most of our penalties in general were made by the young guys

Philagape
09-16-2009, 11:30 AM
it is, but you're straying.

How so? I'm responding to a post and challenging some of its content. I'm being civil and substantial. I'm inviting you to defend or clarify your posts. How is that "straying"?

mybills
09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
How so? I'm responding to a post and challenging some of its content. I'm being civil and substantial. I'm inviting you to defend or clarify your posts. How is that "straying"?
I thought I was pretty clear.

"I really think that it depended on what Trent said the play was gonna be. If he changed his mind at any point once he called the play, it didn't show."

Philagape
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I thought I was pretty clear.

"I really think that it depended on what Trent said the play was gonna be. If he changed his mind at any point once he called the play, it didn't show."

And I'm asking you how he can change his mind on the plays you mentioned: handoffs and screens.
We're talking after the snap, right? Not just audibles at the line? I'm assuming that since the whole context is how receivers are being covered downfield during a play.

paladin warrior
09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe NE is a SPYGATE again ..