PDA

View Full Version : McKelvin: I'd do 'same thing'

shelby
09-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Leodis McKelvin wasn't into second-guessing his decision to come out of the end zone with the ball on his pivotal kickoff return. "If I ever had another chance, I would probably do the same thing," he said. "Next time I get the opportunity I am going to hold on and make a better decision. If it happens next week, I am going to do it again, and you never know what will happen. I may break two and have the best game of my career. I am very disappointed. You don't need to have turnovers at the end of the game."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/09/mckelvin-id-do-same-thing.html

LtFinFan66
09-15-2009, 05:57 AM
I don't fault him for bringing it out since he didn't know if he had fielded it outside the endzone or not. BUT, he should have hit the deck as soon as contact was imminent

ddaryl
09-15-2009, 06:06 AM
He's in the doghouse

but the coaches failed to send him a message he could understand. The last kickoff after the blunder they should of sat him.. AFTER getting in his face and making sure he understood why he wasn't going to return that last kick.

He fumbled 2x's that game he was lucky re recovered the 1st

don137
09-15-2009, 06:07 AM
I don't fault him for trying to bring it out because it basically negated the two minute warning, what I totally think was a boneheaded play is to not go down and fight for an extra yard.

Field position was not nearly as important as holding onto the ball and just getting one first down and running out the clock. It was a boneheaded play by mass proporations and the coaching staff should of told him to not get too cute with the ball when returning and play it safe.

Cleve
09-15-2009, 06:13 AM
He's in the doghouse

but the coaches failed to send him a message he could understand. The last kickoff after the blunder they should of sat him.. AFTER getting in his face and making sure he understood why he wasn't going to return that last kick.

Well, "Dick" Jauron is supporting McKelvin and McKelvin's decision to go the extra yard. I posted this quote from a Buffalo News article in a different topic;

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/795564.html

"I have no problem with Leodis coming out with that ball," Jauron said. "He's trying to win a football game. Somehow it came out of there. ... It's one of those things that happens. ... He plays the game hard, and he's a guy who can take it the distance."

We can't really blame McKelvin for this play when he's being led and managed by a clueless idiot like Dick Jauron. A real head coach would have given clear instructions before that crucial play to Special Teams to try and prevent that sort of thing. A real head coach would have reamed McKelvin a new one for his stupidity.

zone
09-15-2009, 06:23 AM
The last kickoff after the blunder they should of sat him.. AFTER getting in his face and making sure he understood why he wasn't going to return that last kick.

Exactly, all I kept thinking is; why would Mcgee not be back there right now. Then it happened.

Here is the problem, McKelvin is going to take risks, period. That is the type of player he is. Sometimes it may payoff but, sometimes it may lose a very important game we had in hand to a division rival on the road.

Arghh, I still can't believe it.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Apparently, McKelvin is incapable of learning from his mistakes. Bringing it out was stupid, and fighting for an extra yard was stupid. He needed only to protect the ball and hand it over to the offense.

I don't generally blame any one player for a loss, but this one is largely on McKelvin and his complete stupidity.

LtFinFan66
09-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Apparently, McKelvin is incapable of learning from his mistakes. Bringing it out was stupid, and fighting for an extra yard was stupid. He needed only to protect the ball and hand it over to the offense.

I don't generally blame any one player for a loss, but this one is largely on McKelvin and his complete stupidity.see post #2

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't blame McKelvin for bringing it out either, but when guys are ripping at the ball and you aren't going to gain much more, GO DOWN!!!

Dujek
09-15-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't blame McKelvin for bringing it out either, but when guys are ripping at the ball and you aren't going to gain much more, GO DOWN!!!

Agreed, the instant he was hit he should have gone to ground.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2009, 06:32 AM
I don't fault him for bringing it out since he didn't know if he had fielded it outside the endzone or not. BUT, he should have hit the deck as soon as contact was imminent
Well, I guess he's also too stupid to know where he is on the field. Clueless is not a good excuse.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2009, 06:35 AM
It was a stupid play, period, and it cost Buffalo the game. You can blame Ellison, Fewell, Jauron, all you want, but if McKelvin doesn't fumble that return, the Bills likely win.

LtFinFan66
09-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Well, I guess he's also too stupid to know where he is on the field. Clueless is not a good excuse.he was back-peddling when he caught it since he was up a ways due to the potential for an onside kick

don137
09-15-2009, 07:48 AM
The sad part is how stupid McKelvin is. He doesn't even realize what he did was wrong. Need to play smart and go down in those situations and not try for an extra yard.
He reminds me of Clements. More concerned about his stats then doing what is best for the team. Remember the Jaguars game in the home opener a few years ago. 4th and 15 and Clements goes for the INT where he could of easily just knocked the ball down and the Bills would of won. Instead he wiffed and the Jags player caught it for a first down and eventually they scored with no time left and the Bills lost. We need team first and not me first guys.

Mahdi
09-15-2009, 08:03 AM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/09/mckelvin-id-do-same-thing.html
People keep saying he was fighting for extra yardage...

Sorry that didnt happen.

Merriweather got a solid lick on him and stuffed his momentum, once his forward progress stopped the other Patriots held him up while Merriweather and a Patriot LB stripped him. McKelvin was NOT fighting for extra yardage, if anything he was trying to go down.