PDA

View Full Version : AVP - Incredible Play Calling

Pride
09-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Did anyone else notice some of the plays from the old K-Gun being called? Delayed Draw, Screens? #22 looks a little like #34 out there!

While there are a lot of good things to take away from this game... AVP's playcalling is at the top of the list!

cocamide
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Doesn't he just call the formation and then Trent makes the decision about which play to run? Either way, one of them did a hell of a job.

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2009, 07:56 AM
I liked some of the play calling, but let's not go overboard.

17 offensive points and 302 total offensive yards against a lot of new starters is not that incredible.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2009, 08:02 AM

17 offensive points and 302 total offensive yards against a lot of new starters is not that incredible.

Don't forget the Bills had 3 first time starters on the O-line.

BuffaloBillsStampede
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Plus they didnt have the ball for too long either I don't think. The Patsies held the ball for a while on all their drives they just didn't get many points off them.

Syderick
09-15-2009, 08:14 AM

It's better then the usual 3-10 points and 200-250 total offensive yards against the Patriots.

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2009, 08:15 AM

Again, I think he did good and the offense was better than expected. I don't think it was "incredible" though. Too many times we like to throw out a superlative when we shouldn't.

It was very encouraging though.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
A commendable first effort, yes. Better than what we might have seen with Turk? Probably. I liked the tone of the calls, and would have like to have seen what they could have done had several drives not been botched up due to penalties.

Philagape
09-15-2009, 08:21 AM

The offense was really hurt by drops and penalties, and that's not on play calling.

Forward_Lateral
09-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Again, I think he did good and the offense was better than expected. I don't think it was "incredible" though. Too many times we like to throw out a superlative when we shouldn't.

It was not incredible, no. Had they have won, that would've been incredible.

But, after 1 NFL game calling plays, AVP showed that he isn't trying to out-think the other team too much. He stuck with what was working, and kept it pretty simple. If it isn't broken, why try to fix it? I think that's the motto he needs to have. Until the opponent can stop it (the screen, or whatever play), keep running it.

Tatonka
09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
the time of possession didnt help either.

Bulldog
09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I thought AVP called a nice game. Some of those drops on 3rd down were killers. In reality, they're almost as bad as a turnover, forcing the Bills to punt on the following play. The one that Owens dropped was really frustrating.

BAM
09-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Playcalling was AWESOME! We caught them off guard many times and Edwards was right on the money for most of the night. It's too bad that penalties and drops ruined a few drives, but I was loving the calls by AVP!!

madness
09-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Yep, there was at least three drives killed by penalties.

mybills
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Maybe it was where I was sitting, and I'll have to watch it on my dvr first, but I thought it was gonna be a dink & dunk night. 4yd, 7yds, 5yds. At one point I held up my sign like I was at an auction and yelled out 'can I get a 10? how bout 20? Then he threw a long pass and I felt better.

psubills62
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM

I agree, I don't think it was "incredible."

However, consider the situation and it seems pretty impressive. If our receivers (Jackson, Owens, Evans) hadn't dropped passes, we would have had more yards and more sustained drives.

AVP was also calling his very first game against a young, but talented defense headed by Bill Belichick. And that's after having ten days to prepare as a playcaller. We had three OL with their first game action.

I thought that given the circumstances, the offense did a heck of a job.

Commissioner
09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Doesn't he just call the formation and then Trent makes the decision about which play to run? Either way, one of them did a hell of a job.

I actually said that to my friends during the game.... some of the plays look like old K-GUN plays. We were constantly throwing screens to Thurman and calling draws out of Shotgun.

Alex Van Fat definitely knows what he's doing.... and I think he's going to turn Trent into something special.

Commissioner
09-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Based on what they did in the preseason, i think they deserve a superlative.

TheBrownBear
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I think our yards per play numbers were pretty impressive. The problem is that New England held the ball for much of the game, so our offense didn't get to show much. Also, take away the drops and a couple of the penalties and we would have still likely racked up 350-400 yards. Overall, it was some great playcalling and a very nice showing for the offense, on the road, against one of the best teams in the league, with a coach who is considered one of the all-time defensive geniuses.