PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice the awful spotting?

yordad
09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
It seemed to me the Patriots had every close spot go there way. Including being given a couple first downs where it appeared clear to me they were almost a yard short.

But one particular thing made me scratch me head...

With about 3 minutes left in the game, I think it was 3rd and 1, the Patriots were breaking the huddle. At the time, the ball was spotted. The ref ran up to the ball, he picked it up, he wiped it off, then he spotted it about 2 feet farther.

Anyone else see that? Are they even alowed to touch it after its spotted? Is it their job to wipe balls off?

madness
09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
My wife saw it and asked why do the refs keep moving the ball up. They did it twice on that second to last drive. Straight BS.

Beastie Bills
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I didn't notice the specific play you mentioned, but the spotting was terrible all game.

yordad
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, when they went to the huddle it was third and one, I'm surprised they didn't ask for a measurement when they came to the line and realized they were right at the stick!

zone
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
It's the New England, the love fest runs deep and the Ref's are not immune.

THATHURMANATOR
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
It seemed to me the Patriots had every close spot go there way. Including being given a couple first downs where it appeared clear to me they were almost a yard short.

But one particular thing made me scratch me head...

With about 3 minutes left in the game, I think it was 3rd and 1, the Patriots were breaking the huddle. At the time, the ball was spotted. The ref ran up to the ball, he picked it up, he wiped it off, then he spotted it about 2 feet farther.

Anyone else see that? Are they even alowed to touch it after its spotted? Is it their job to wipe balls off?
Yes horrible spots. I was saying the same thing.

Jaybird
09-15-2009, 09:25 AM
i was watching with my boy who is a Fins fan and he kept pointing it out.. it was happening all game... like the refs are on the take

Bruce is Loose
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I had pats fans watching the game with me and THEY noticed the bad spots

Oldbillsfan
09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
The fix is in

justasportsfan
09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I thought Welker fell 1 yard short and they gave him a first down in the last 3 mins.

yordad
09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
They seriously seemed to do all they could to give the Pats some extra yards on that second to last drive.

I mean, I never noticed a ref whipping the ball off after it was spotted before. Rediculous.

HHURRICANE
09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
In New England it's spotted where the players stops rolling.

BillyT92679
09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
just give it to em

justasportsfan
09-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I thought early on we had calls going our way too but I've learned through the years you can't keep it close vs. the pats because in the end when it matters most, calls will go their way.

The Juice Is Loose
09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
the ref's f'd us in so many ways

the 2 bell "off the los" calls were horrendous

don137
09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Good spots or bad spots that is not why we lost the game. We lost because of McKelvin and Jauron/April.

Mad Bomber
09-15-2009, 09:45 AM
My avatar says it all.

<--------------

yordad
09-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Additionally, was it my imagination, or where the Bills DEs getting held every other play?

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, when they went to the huddle it was third and one, I'm surprised they didn't ask for a measurement when they came to the line and realized they were right at the stick!

No, even the announcers said that got a VERY generous spot and that it was first and 10. I remember the play clearly, because even the first spot was about a yard further than it should have been and THEN the official ran up to it, picked it up, looked at the sideline and then placed it a foot or two further forward. It was easy to notice because the NE center was right there and the computer red line was about a foot in front of the ball, the official picked it up and placed it right on the red line, then the NE center picked the ball up and moved it back.

yordad
09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Chern, I'm not sure we are talking about the same play, but why did the ref pick up the ball? And, on the play you seen, did he wipe the ball off?

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Chern, I'm not sure we are talking about the same play, but why did the ref pick up the ball? And, on the play you seen, did he wipe the ball off?

He might have had a rag in his hand and I might recall him maybe wiping it off, but that just might be the power of suggestion. It was very unusual though. I don't think it was raining, so why would he need to wipe it off?

yordad
09-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Exactly. If you recorded it, please watch it again. I will try and find time to rewatch the last two drives again tonight. Even though it is difficult. :ill:

DraftBoy
09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought the spots went both ways. I do recall the play in question and thought that was BS, but other than that...

M
09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Additionally, was it my imagination, or where the Bills DEs getting held every other play?

Well I noticed one play in particular, the Pats guy had a handful of Spencer Johnson's jersey and was holding on for dear life. I was like huh, wha? No call. Figures.

chernobylwraiths
09-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Exactly. If you recorded it, please watch it again. I will try and find time to rewatch the last two drives again tonight. Even though it is difficult. :ill:

Thankfully I DIDN'T DVR it. I don't think I could actually live through that unscathed. Or at least I don't think the house would remain unscathed.