McKelvin thought he may have been inbounds when he touched it, so had to take it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

McKelvin thought he may have been inbounds when he touched it, so had to take it out

Although he also says he'd do the same thing again given the chance.....

FOXBOROUGH -- Leodis McKelvin wasn't into second-guessing his decision to come out of the end zone with the ball on his pivotal kickoff return.

"If I ever had another chance, I would probably do the same thing," he said. "Next time I get the opportunity I am going to hold on and make a better decision. If it happens next week, I am going to do it again, and you never know what will happen. I may break two and have the best game of my career. I am very disappointed. You don't need to have turnovers at the end of the game."

On why he came out of the end zone: "When I caught the ball, I didn't know if I had two feet inbounds or if my momentum took me into the end zone. If I downed it, it may have been a safety. So I decided to bring it out."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboa...ame-thing.html
    I was a kick and punt returner myself. It is perfectly plausible that he may have thought that. It was close, and he was looking at the ball, not the ground.

I agree he should not have taken it out, but I am not nearly as pissed as others about his decision to take it out. He's a terrific kick returner and that's what he does.

I'm much more pissed about trying to fight for extra yardage and not protecting the ball in that situation.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Billz_fan
    • Jan 2003

Re: McKelvin thought he may have been inbounds when he touched it, so had to take it out

Fair enough explanation.

I don't think he should not have tried to do so much with the "hands team" his only blocking in front of him.

Im moving on to next week. My anger is gone. Got another game on Sunday
    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Re: McKelvin thought he may have been inbounds when he touched it, so had to take it out

His one job was to protect the ball and let the offense try to burn the clock. If he's incapable of thinking, he shouldn't be on the field in those situations.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
        • Jul 2003

Re: McKelvin thought he may have been inbounds when he touched it, so had to take it

He fumbled the ball on the last 2 kickoff returns with the Bills in the lead.

On the last fumble he was on with the hands team and did not get down, allowing the Patriots to rip the ball out. That would lead one to question he awareness of the situation.

You can defend the guy all you want, because he is a top return man. However, it is fair to call into question his judgement and awareness, and to wonder if he should be trusted with the ball in an important situation like that.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
          shelby's big brother smilie smilie
          • Mar 2007

He should have just went down, end of story... And the great Bobby April should have reminded him not to drop it again before the play. I guess he didn't?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

I 100% believe even if he knew he caught the ball in the endzone that he shoulda taken it out.

Simple clock and game management say the right play/move was to run it out.

However, at first contact he shoulda just gone down and not fight for a couple meaningless yards.

Comment

• Crisis
              • Aug 2004

agreed, he should've taken it out just to get the two minute warning out of the way so the offense can burn all of new england's timeouts...and if we get a 1st it's pretty much over.

he just needs to not be fighting for extra yards in that situation...
              Originally posted by LOSman WINS
              Vanek is Austrian not European
              Originally posted by Prov401
              Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
              Originally posted by better days
              I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                I was a kick and punt returner myself. It is perfectly plausible that he may have thought that. It was close, and he was looking at the ball, not the ground.

I agree he should not have taken it out, but I am not nearly as pissed as others about his decision to take it out. He's a terrific kick returner and that's what he does.

I'm much more pissed about trying to fight for extra yardage and not protecting the ball in that situation.
                That was exactly my thought.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• RockStar36
                  Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                  • Sep 2004

Some people just don't get it.

How is this Bobby April's fault? HOW? It's common ****ing sense to hold on to the ball. McKelvin shouldn't have to be told. It's his fault for fumbling.

Based on clock management (like said above), taking it out was technically the correct move. If he doesn't fumble, we're all kissing his ass for burning a clock stoppage that the Pats had.

D & S Sports

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

the issue for me is the fighting for a 1/2 yard when you have 3 Patriots on you trying to strip the ball.

He did it earlier and fumbled, and got lucky

he did it again when we had the game won

All he had to do is go down there was little reaosn to fight for that 1/2 yard...
                    Last edited by ddaryl; 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• JD
                      Sabres Zone
                      • Sep 2003

After the first fumble he should have been sat down by the coaching staff. That type of **** just cannot happen! The coaches are a bunch of pushovers.
                      “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                        Although he also says he'd do the same thing again given the chance.....

Let's be honest. He fumbled twice, which is horrible. He got lucky the first time. After that he should have employed every means necessary to protect the ball, particularly in a crucial situation like that.

If he keeps fumbling he will not be returning kicks for long. He needs to smarten up.

Comment

Working...
                        X