PDA

View Full Version : NFL Live: Impressed with Alex Van Pelt

baalworship
09-15-2009, 06:38 PM
For what it's worth Tim Hasselbeck and Dilfer were gushing about what AVP did with 10 days to prepare for Pats and Belichick. When was the last time a Bills coach was praised when we played the Patriots?

Mitchell55
09-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I like hearing that. Also the ESPN guys were also bragging about AVP which is different.

Hemlepp53
09-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Well deserved .. He called one hell of a game and should get better with the season. I am glad we are in the headlines even if it is for a loss... Better to have them saying positive things instead of "AS PERDICTED THE BILLS GOT BLOWN OUT BY THEIR DIVISION RIVAL"

cocamide
09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Hate to ask it, but will Ralph select him as the next coach?

BillsWin
09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
some posters bashed my thread that I started saying that AVP will be better than Turk. through one game I look like a genius and they look like pessimistic jackasses.

All thanks to you Mr. Van Pelt. Continue to prove me right for all our sakes.

psubills62
09-15-2009, 08:49 PM
The playcalling was quite good, execution wasn't great. AVP did very well considering the short amount of time he had to prepare.

The real test will begin when teams start single-covering T.O. and Evans and guarding against the screen pass. If we can get the ball downfield to those two, then I'll really be behind AVP as a playcaller.

BillsWin
09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
lets remember that some of our more productive plays came back due to penalties or dropped balls.

Trent may have been 20-25 for 284 yards and 3 TDs. We will never know.

OpIv37
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
So far I like AVP. He called a great game- the ESPN announcers pointed out a few plays that started the same but weren't, and the strategy was keeping NE back on their heels. I noticed it a few more times after they pointed it out.

Also, there was one play where he called a pass to the outside against single coverage on 3rd and 1, which was gutsy and successful- two things we never got from our two previous OC's.

It's too soon to judge, but the early signs are encouraging. The only real flaw was the inability to involve Evans and TO.

Ebenezer
09-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Can you imagine if AVP only continues to improve?

Nighthawk
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I loved the game AVP called, but he did s**t the bed the last 45 seconds of the game. He had plenty of time with 2 timeouts to call shorter routes and use the middle of the field. However, it was his first game and he gets a pass. I love the fact that this team actually called and executed the screen pass!

Ebenezer
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I loved the game AVP called, but he did s**t the bed the last 45 seconds of the game. He had plenty of time with 2 timeouts to call shorter routes and use the middle of the field. However, it was his first game and he gets a pass. I love the fact that this team actually called and executed the screen pass!
coaching is important but it is not his fault that TE took a TO right after the kick...not his fault that TE took a 0 yard sack...I cut him some big slack there.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-15-2009, 09:42 PM
coaching is important but it is not his fault that TE took a TO right after the kick...not his fault that TE took a 0 yard sack...I cut him some big slack there.
Exactly. how was that AVPs fault?????

Ebenezer
09-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Exactly. how was that AVPs fault?????
some of that falls right back to....DJ.

psubills62
09-15-2009, 10:33 PM

That and I loved the run, run, run...play action bootleg and a pass to a wide open Shawn Nelson who can run into the end zone!

I think it's a good thing also that our running game got going. That way we have the ability to use those play-action passes. Anyone remember how HORRIBLE it was in preseason? There were a lot more holes for Jackson during the game.

Dujek
09-16-2009, 06:56 AM
So far I like AVP. He called a great game- the ESPN announcers pointed out a few plays that started the same but weren't, and the strategy was keeping NE back on their heels. I noticed it a few more times after they pointed it out.

Also, there was one play where he called a pass to the outside against single coverage on 3rd and 1, which was gutsy and successful- two things we never got from our two previous OC's.

It's too soon to judge, but the early signs are encouraging. The only real flaw was the inability to involve Evans and TO.

I've just died from shock.

A vaguely optimistic post...

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2009, 07:00 AM

This is the EXACT same thing INdy does. Dungy was talking about Indy's Z-crack-post, which the WR fakes like he's going to block, then goes up field, making the safety bite on the Play Action.
It's simple, yet it works.

WeAreArthurMoates
09-16-2009, 08:22 AM
I've just died from shock.

A vaguely optimistic post...

Hahaha, I had the same reaction.

madness
09-16-2009, 09:28 AM

That right there is how you run a no huddle. That's how the Bills did it in the 90's and how the Colts do it today. Keep it simple, run various plays of out the same standard formations, take your money plays and dare the defense to stop them.

jamze132
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM

I agree but it's hard to get the ball to a couple of guys who have half the defense covering them 90% of the game.

ParanoidAndroid
09-16-2009, 09:41 AM

And if that "gutsy" play call on 3rd and 1 wasn't executed on the field at a time when our run game was going well, would we be blaming AVP?

I think the game was called well, but it was also executed fairly well. There were too many dropped passes

ParanoidAndroid
09-16-2009, 09:42 AM

And if that "gutsy" play call on 3rd and 1 wasn't executed on the field at a time when our run game was going well, would we be blaming AVP?

I think the game was called well, but it was also executed fairly well. There were too many dropped passes and penalties, but it was good for the most part.

I'm definately encouraged.

SabreEleven
09-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Exactly, we need 25-30 yards with 50 seconds left and we go for the homerun ball? Everything was decent with the play calling until that last 50 seconds.