PDA

View Full Version : Forget McKelvin for a second...

mybills
09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
So many people are putting that last 5 minutes squarely on his shoulders, but what happened to the defense in those 2 TD's? McGee bats down the 2pt conversion try, but why couldn't any of them defend the 2 actual 6 pointers? That's the part that upsets me the most. :ill:

Beastie Bills
09-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Because Poz was hurt, and our LB depth stinks.

The Pats know what they're doing. They exploited the weakest point of our defense (Buggs and Ellison). Twice.

ddaryl
09-16-2009, 07:50 AM
So many people are putting that last 5 minutes squarely on his shoulders, but what happened to the defense in those 2 TD's? McGee bats down the 2pt conversion try, but why couldn't any of them defend the 2 actual 6 pointers? That's the part that upsets me the most. :ill:

No doubt about it

Our pass D is a problem. It has been ever since Perry Ferwell showed up here. His 10 yard cushion, allow the team to dink dunk down to the redzone and then hope the redzone D can stop them has burned us many times

There are posts on this buried in other threads....

In fact any real good QB or a hot QB shreds us to pieces. Its a characterisitc of Bills teams the last 4 years

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Because McKelvin gave them a short field and two minutes to win the game.

Sorry it's 100% his fault.

If he hangs on to the ball and we go three and out and they take over at their 30 with 1 minute left and still win the game people would not be as upset. Giving them a game that we dominated is stupid.

mybills
09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I can't even get all over Fewell's case about this, since the D was clicking for the whole game. The players didn't do their jobs in that time period.

Beastie Bills
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
I will say this regarding McKelvin. A lot of people have said that, he shouldn't have taken an knee, because that would give us the ball with 2:06 left and the Pats had 3 time-outs.

Well, he could have just stood there for 6 seconds and then taken a knee.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I will say this regarding McKelvin. A lot of people have said that, he shouldn't have taken an knee, because that would give us the ball with 2:06 left and the Pats had 3 time-outs.

Well, he could have just stood there for 6 seconds and then taken a knee.

He hesitated. That tells me he knew exactly what he was doing. He put himself ahead of the team on that play and his interview confirmed it. Maybe this is why the pats passed him up in the draft.

ddaryl
09-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I can't even get all over Fewell's case about this, since the D was clicking for the whole game. The players didn't do their jobs in that time period.

Yes you can.. because it is a characterisic of his D for years.

The only reason he D was looking better in the 1st half is because Brady was making some awful throws.. Once he got his rhythm we had no answer.. Who Gived Randy Moss 10 yard cushions like we did.

but Our O also had 3 key dropped passes early and numeours drive stalling penalties. So we can add that into reason why we lost

Beastie Bills
09-16-2009, 07:57 AM
He hesitated. That tells me he knew exactly what he was doing. He put himself ahead of the team on that play and his interview confirmed it. Maybe this is why the pats passed him up in the draft.

Yeah, as soon as I saw him hesitate, I knew it was not gonna end well for us.

mybills
09-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Apparently some of you didn't read the thread title.

mybills
09-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Yes you can.. because it is a characterisic of his D for years.

The only reason he D was looking better in the 1st half is because Brady was making some awful throws.. Once he got his rhythm we had no answer.. Who Gived Randy Moss 10 yard cushions like we did.

but Our O also had 3 key dropped passes early and numeours drive stalling penalties. So we can add that into reason why we lost
The 3 drops were ugly, but they kept their cool, and here in Patriot land, all I'm hearing from Pats fans and local tv is, The Bills Defense IS AWESOME!

:idunno:

casdhf
09-16-2009, 08:16 AM
We're going to be in the bottom half of the league in yards allowed. We're going to be in the top half of the league in points allowed though. Book it!

M
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Was the D in "prevent defense" mode at that point? I will never understand that concept. We played pretty agressively for the most part only to soften up at the end. :ill:

TedMock
09-16-2009, 08:46 AM
McKelvin screwed up and was part of the loss. No one player or one play is 100% of any loss. His mistake was just the most glaring, so many are putting blame squarely on him. He deserves blame and he was a moron on that play. Of course drive killing dropped balls and several drive killing offensive penalties were a huge part of it too. The defense playing in a crap shell, quasi-prevent certainly didn't help either. There was a lot that went wrong in this game. McKelvin's error was just the cherry on top of the ***** sundae.

madness
09-16-2009, 09:14 AM

The defense was clicking right up to the point of both injuries to Kelsay and Poz. Injuries killed this defense last year and are a big factor on any NFL team. Teams that can stay the healthiest are usually the ones making a playoff run.

mybills
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
It's early. Kelsay 1 week, Poz 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't count the D out just yet.

justasportsfan
09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
because we went back to a conservative mode just like we did vs. cowboys.

but to the D's defense, they played a great game vs. Brady. Obviously not good enough to overcome the mistakes of the ST unit, but neverthless they played way better than I expected.

ddaryl
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Was the D in "prevent defense" mode at that point? I will never understand that concept. We played pretty agressively for the most part only to soften up at the end. :ill:

I actually beleive our 2nd half D was negated by superior coaching on the otherside

Plus Brady was hot. There were WR's wide open in the 1st half that brady just missed the target, but in the 2nd half brady was dead on..

ddaryl
09-16-2009, 11:01 AM
The 3 drops were ugly, but they kept their cool, and here in Patriot land, all I'm hearing from Pats fans and local tv is, The Bills Defense IS AWESOME!

:idunno:

I do beleive our front 7 with Poz in was improved, and that is where we saw some great pas rush and pressure. I still feel the DB;s are not playing a scheme worthy of their capabilites

I know you were at the game (I didn't see your sign and I was a little bummed about that) Rewatch it and just look how huge of a cushion we gave the Pats WR's

Buckets
09-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Like everyone else in the free world, the Bills thought they had one in the bag and played like it