PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills still "very much" in the mix for Runyan

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/09/source-jon-runyan-is-still-in-the-mix/

psubills62
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Interesting. I'd love to have Runyan, but I was fairly impressed with how our OL did together on Monday. Bell's mistakes were mostly correctable, so it would be best imo to keep him in the lineup. If they sign Runyan, I would hope (since I'm not sure what to expect from the Bills anymore) that Butler would be the one bumped to backup.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I think this is pure specualtion. We are "very much" in the mix for Brooks to if you base it on what the media thinks we need.

Runyan wouldn't start.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
We have never been interested in Brooks.. However, NE now is.

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Why do we want Runyan? He's not even a LT. Unless they think Butler needs replacing at RT.

And we NEED a LB. Brooks or not... someone who can play is needed.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I dont think we're going to sign a LB, and if we do I bet its Pat Thomas.

We are fond of cutting players and then bringing them back.

Dr. Lecter
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I am not sure of all the names out there, but for the MLB position Thomas is probably as good of a choice as anybody.

Mitchell is possible there (or Ellison) but that puts two new starters on teh defense.

I really wonder if Brooks is done. There has been limited interest in him and Chicago did not sign him after taking a look.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
New England is reportedly interested in Brooks right now.

ddaryl
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Why do we want Runyan? He's not even a LT. Unless they think Butler needs replacing at RT.

And we NEED a LB. Brooks or not... someone who can play is needed.

My opinion quality depth and mentoring the young guns

Runyan make sthis team a little better just with his prescence and attitude, and we need more of that to rub off on our young OL

psubills62
09-16-2009, 12:25 PM
My opinion quality depth and mentoring the young guns

Runyan make sthis team a little better just with his prescence and attitude, and we need more of that to rub off on our young OL

I doubt Runyan would go anywhere knowing he wouldn't start. Unless he's getting really desperate or will be on a championship-caliber team.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Don't know if this is related or not, but this was just posted on PFT a few minutes ago. Does it add fuel to the fire?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/eagles-not-planning-to-sign-runyan/

pfft. I reported it first, "big boys"

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I doubt Runyan would go anywhere knowing he wouldn't start. Unless he's getting really desperate or will be on a championship-caliber team.

Agreed. Runyan is good enough to start for a lot of teams (possibnly us included) he's not coming back from microfracture to sit on the bench.

PFT is reporting Philly likes Winston Justice and won't sign him back.

KC could use him though.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I am certain about this much.

If Runyan aint starting here.. He ain't comin here..

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Don't know if this is related or not, but this was just posted on PFT a few minutes ago. Does it add fuel to the fire?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/eagles-not-planning-to-sign-runyan/

pfft. I reported it first, "big boys"

I guess I shoulda clicked your link here first.... so let me rephrase, BSD is reporting.....

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Also, from your article.

Moving Butler to LT is NOT an option. As bad as Bell was at times, Butler would def be worse... he does NOT have the atheleteicism to hang with elite DE's on the left side.

I'm not even positive he can do it on the right side from what i saw this week... but def not the left.

I still think we need a LT for the rest of this year.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Also, from your article.

Moving Butler to LT is NOT an option. As bad as Bell was at times, Butler would def be worse... he does NOT have the atheleteicism to hang with elite DE's on the left side.

I'm not even positive he can do it on the right side from what i saw this week... but def not the left.

I still think we need a LT for the rest of this year.

I completely agree with you.

Dr. Lecter
09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I thought that too, but Sal's breakdown the last two nights has calmed me down a bit on Bell.

Remember, it was his first game action in a month too. He was bound to be rusty. Before I bench him, I want to see him again. Hopefuly I can watch him some this week.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't dislike Bell. I think potentially he can be a solid starting LT in this league.

However, I disagree with Sal on this. I don't think he's remotely ready to start, and missing most of the preseason hurt him a lot.

It seems to me the Bills are trying TOO HARD to make him the next Jason Peters by force feeding him into a lineup he's not ready to be in .

(and btw, this has nothing to do with Runyan, lol)

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
The problem with Runyan is, is he quick enough to get out on the edge and block on screen plays, tosses, etc? I thought that was a strength of the Bills' o-line Monday night, and I'd hate to weaken one of their only real strengths.

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2009, 01:00 PM
The problem with Runyan is, is he quick enough to get out on the edge and block on screen plays, tosses, etc? I thought that was a strength of the Bills' o-line Monday night, and I'd hate to weaken one of their only real strengths.

He was never a guy you sent too far downfield even before th einjury really.. he was mobile "enough".... but the thing about Runyan is, if he blocks you, you stay blocked.

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 01:03 PM

It's a good point.

But that is something defenses will start to key on.

AT the end of the day, the real strengths NEED to be TO and Lee. And for that to happen, Trent has to have more time to get the ball down the field.

T-Long
09-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I am not sure of all the names out there, but for the MLB position Thomas is probably as good of a choice as anybody.

Mitchell is possible there (or Ellison) but that puts two new starters on teh defense.

I really wonder if Brooks is done. There has been limited interest in him and Chicago did not sign him after taking a look.
Actually Brooks has gotten a lot of interest but hasn't found the right fit yet. He said so himself in an interview last week.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Great point, Pat. I fully expect teams to key in on the screen plays, and you are right, Trent will need time to go down field.

I just don't know if a 35 year old tackle coming off of major knee surgery is the answer. And don't say "he passed a physical by team doctors", because we all know how great Buffalo's team doctors are when it comes to physicals.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Actually Brooks has gotten a lot of interest but hasn't found the right fit yet. He said so himself in an interview last week.

There aren't meany teams that run a 4-3 tampa 2 D anymore. Buffalo and Indy are about the only 2 I can think of. Maybe Chicago?

patmoran2006
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I just don't know if a 35 year old tackle coming off of major knee surgery is the answer. And don't say "he passed a physical by team doctors", because we all know how great Buffalo's team doctors are when it comes to physicals.

lol.. true

I dont know if he's the answer or not.. I'm not trying to play GM on this one. I'm just reporting the Bills have stayed in touch with him and are still in the mix.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't be pissed if they signed him, but I also wouldn't expect the Runyan of 5 years ago like some door knobs around here would.

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Brooks may in fact BE done... Though that doesn't make him worse than Ellison.

I think Chicago didn't sign him for the same reason we won't... he doesn't help them or us at MLB.

Unless of course we move Kawika inside or something.... But again... Brooks plays a similar role as we've had Ellison playing (poorly). I can't imagine brooks letting Watson run that same play on him twice... :(

X-Era
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I dont think we're going to sign a LB, and if we do I bet its Pat Thomas.

We are fond of cutting players and then bringing them back.

I like what you wrote but you didnt site any information on what you have heard (if anything) from the Bills side... Maybe the title should have been "Philly not that interested in Runyan".

Dr. Lecter
09-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Meh.

I am not sure that players are always fully honest on that subject. It sounds great and is a way to drive up interest in him.