PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest o-line in football??

yordad
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Butler 2.5 mil
Hangartner 1.4 mil
Wood 1.9 mil
D. Bell .45 mil
Levitre .9 mil
--------------
Approx. 7.15 million for our entire starting line.

Peters alone makes over 10 million per year (ave).

I think we have the cheapest O-line in the league by far. I would say they held up pretty good vs the Patriots, but if Bell strings together a couple good games, the Bills might want to considering giving him a raise.

Thoughts? I don't really have any conclusions. This was more of a FYI. Feel free to draw some and share.

X-Era
09-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Butler 2.5 mil
Hangartner 1.4 mil
Wood 1.9 mil
D. Bell .45 mil
Levitre .9 mil
--------------

I think we have the cheapest O-line in the league by far. I would say they held up pretty good vs the Patriots, but if Bell strings together a couple good games, the Bills might want to considering giving him a raise.

Thoughts? I don't really have any conclusions. This was more of a FYI. Feel free to draw some and share.

You cant see Russ with a smile from ear to ear? Russ will have a problem with us having the cheapest o-line in the league?

yordad
09-16-2009, 05:17 PM
LOL, the entire blind side of Edwards makes less the 1.5 million.

Jaybird
09-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Is this a surprise??

We start 2 rookies and one second year player who was a 7th round draft pick.. And congrats to Jason Peters he gets a mill for every time his man kills the Qb

yordad
09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Is this a surprise??
Not to me. I've been saying it for weeks. I just thought YOU might like to see the figures. You are welcome.

Jaybird
09-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Not to me. I've been saying it for weeks. I just thought YOU might like to see the figures. You are welcome.

Thanks boss!

yordad
09-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks boss!Oh gez. Why are you calling me boss? Did I step on your pinky? Try to stick to the subject.

Jaybird
09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
just using street lingo.

Lexwhat
09-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Butler 2.5 mil
Hangartner 1.4 mil
Wood 1.9 mil
D. Bell .45 mil
Levitre .9 mil
--------------

My thoughts are...

Wood and Levitre are solid players, and will only improve. However, a few years down the line, it's possible we may extend one and let the other one go.

My other thought: At $2.5 million, I wouldn't say Butler is that overpaid. However, he's not a "great value" either.

If Bell works out for us at LT, I think that the Bills would be smart to draft 2-3 O-Linemen in the draft next year (one starting RT and another 1-2 for depth).

Our depth is horrible.

NorthCarBills
09-16-2009, 06:57 PM
LOL, the entire blind side of Edwards makes less the 1.5 million.

You have to be competitive with the starting QBs salary LOL

TigerJ
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
The salaries are pretty much due to the relative youth of the line. It they develop as expected, Buffalo really has a moral obligation to renegotiate salaries. Bell is on his rookie deal. I'm guessing for a late round pick, it's probably a three year deal, maybe 4. I will bet that the Bills will need to bump that to 2 or 3 million. They should get at least a couple years from Wood and Levitre on their rookie deals before there is some grumbling. Butler is only an average player, so he doen'st have a lot of leverage, but I would guess that in five years, provided the line stays intact, it's going to be a pretty expensive line.

Joe Fo Sho
09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
How the frick do we not have like 50 million dollars in cap space?

Ground Chuck
09-16-2009, 09:04 PM
You're forgetting the signing bonuses.

yordad
09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
You're forgetting the signing bonuses.Feel free to make it in depth.

yordad
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
You have to be competitive with the starting QBs salary LOLTrent makes like half a million, lol. That left side 1.5 million is three times more expensive then the QB.

Goobylal
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
You're forgetting the signing bonuses.
Actually the figures include bonuses, although I'm not sure in Hangartner's case.

Goobylal
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
The best thing is that Bell is signed through 2011 (they'll probably extend him), Hangartner, Butler, and Levitre are signed through 2012, and Wood is signed through 2013. The unit is entirely intact at least for the next 3 years, and likely the next 4.

yordad
09-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Actually the figures include bonuses, although I'm not sure in Hangartner's case.I guess Hangartner is 1.9. link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=3350)

Ground Chuck
09-16-2009, 09:13 PM
I'll take this line over the millionaires club we've had lately.

Peters - Dockery - Fowler - Butler - Walker.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2009, 09:13 PM
The best thing is that Bell is signed through 2011 (they'll probably extend him), Hangartner, Butler, and Levitre are signed through 2012, and Wood is signed through 2013. The unit is entirely intact at least for the next 3 years, and likely the next 4.

They all will be sitting knowing what Peters did.

yordad
09-16-2009, 09:14 PM
They all will be sitting knowing what Peters did.What will they know? That the Bills will not crumble to demands?

Typ0
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM

which means they have a great place to cut their teeth and then when the ones who are going to be really good emerge it will be just in time to go somewhere and get a big paycheck. Will Ralph Wilson make it through the next three years? What about the Bills?

PECKERWOOD
09-16-2009, 10:04 PM
You know what? If anything this just makes our FO look pretty damn good, I personally like our offensive line, other than the left tackle position. We're obviously way more mobile this year than last year, our guys were looking pretty good getting in the second level and devouring linebackers.

Night Train
09-17-2009, 05:49 AM
It's an interesting situation and it makes sense with the youth and inexperience. I actually like the direction the OL is going.

It's 10 years overdue on building a core foundation instead of plugging positions with failing fodder. They made mistakes Monday night as expected but showed a lot of promise. The next contracts for these guys are far off, so they are a supreme bargain and show an actual upside.

YardRat
09-17-2009, 06:20 AM
If we would have had the cheapest o-line in the league 4 seasons ago we might be talking about Super Bowl chances today instead of just beating Tampa Bay.

Jan Reimers
09-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Players are judged on performance, not the size of their contracts. Our O-Line, regardless of what they are paid, performed well on Monday night.

I really like the potential of this line, and the guys who continue to progress will be rewarded in their next contracts. But bigger contracts don't make better players. Better play leads to bigger contracts.

ddaryl
09-17-2009, 07:29 AM
what Jan said

I thought they played better then their salaries dictated overall... We can always ask for Dockery back to pad the data ... ????

Goobylal
09-17-2009, 07:45 AM
They all will be sitting knowing what Peters did.
Funny. Lynch made the Pro Bowl last year, and didn't threaten to holdout unless he was the highest-paid RB in the NFL, or even top-5. Peters had a massive ego and that's what it came down to in his case. And if you noticed, none of the Bills players were sad to see him go, which should tell you something.

ddaryl
09-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Peters gave us Wood HH.. I think we did alright here...

Mahdi
09-17-2009, 08:09 AM
This OL is to me the most exciting unit on the field to watch. They are aggressive, fast as heck, and smart.

They were making blocks all over the field, finishing their blocks off, leading Freddy J. down the field.

Was a treat to watch them play.

I dont know about the rest of you but I'll take the rookie mistakes in return for the amazing ability of our OL to block on toss plays, screen plays and draws. Three plays we couldn't execute to save our lives for the last 5 years.

TigerJ
09-17-2009, 09:59 AM
How the frick do we not have like 50 million dollars in cap space?Some cap space is taken up by dead cap money, prorated signing bonuses that all come due when you cut players like Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker.

yordad
09-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Some cap space is taken up by dead cap money, prorated signing bonuses that all come due when you cut players like Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker.Oh, so we are only 35 million under?

X-Era
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Peters gave us Wood HH.. I think we did alright here...

Our Peters got Wood?

trapezeus
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
some one mentioned extending bell...did the jauron extension teach you nothing. Promising start isn't worth extending anyone anytime soon. I realize the poster meant extend him before his 2011 contract end vs. extend him tomorrow...but still. We might find out against the jets (a team with a much harder LB core and DL core) that these guys are really, terribly raw.

but like everyone else said, seeing our OL pull and block downfield was a nice surprise.

yordad
09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
UPDATE

Scott .45mil
Wood 1.9 mil
Hangartner 1.9 mil
Levitre .9 mil
D. Bell .45 mil
-----------
5.6 million for our entire starting O-line