PDA

View Full Version : TO to Trent: "Take some shots downfield"

Tatonka
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
couldn't agree more. To not even attempt one with Owens and Evans.. captain checkdown has got to use the guys he has.

“Bill Belichick and that defense, schematically, they took myself and Lee [Evans] out of the game plan a little bit," he said.

Owens' praise for the Patriots was followed by some advice for his quarterback, Trent Edwards.

“There were some opportunities that we missed," Owens said. "Trent has to better assess what he’s seeing out there and take some shots down the field.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/3182/3182

Oaf
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I have no complaints with Edwards production on Monday.

Pay attention like you pay attention to what the media says, Trent, and catch the ball if and when it's thrown to you, Terrell.

Hemlepp53
09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
He isn't lying.... We have to take chances...

Philagape
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
World to TO: Catch the ball

Thurmal
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
He's right. I refuse to believe that they were being totally covered by Pats' DBs the entire game.

Buffalogic
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
The offense left the field with an 11 point lead and came back onto it down 1 lol. Yeah, I wanna see big plays to the receivers too, but the offense played well enough to win and Mclovin choked it away.

yordad
09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
When you are moving the ball, and winning, I have zero problems with not taking a shot. But, that doesn't excuse not trying it early. In fact, I would have liked to have seen it on the first play. Even if Trent over threw him (or Lee).

But, TO has to understand it is only one game. The game plan will be different from, and for, each opponent.

justasportsfan
09-16-2009, 09:48 PM
we could've won they way Trent played but we aren't gonna take the next step or go far if thats all we have. The pats had no tape on us and that helped. but if we can't make teams pay for the way the pats tried to defend both Lee and TO , we're screwed.

psubills62
09-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Well the defenders obviously weren't adjusting to the screen pass, so they must have been somewhere else...maybe covering our receivers?

I agree that the offense needs to do more to get the ball to our playmakers (Evans and Owens), even when they're being covered. I don't see what the problem is as long as the offense is moving down the field.

trapezeus
09-16-2009, 09:59 PM
ii think if you are winning, you have a good run game, and they are focused on taking away the long ball, why force it. Traditionally that would have been a mistake former bills teams would have made.

If teams throw a different look at us and don't want the run game and short game to beat us, yeah, we better take advantage of it longer. there is no absolute truth on if long game is better than short game.

Trent was accurate, threw to people on the run, threw in tight spaces, and checked down to guys who had good yac. i'm ok with that.

Next week if the bucs play up and think they can cover TO and Evans one on one, then by all means test it. and if they call the same gameplan and it doesn't work...i'll call them out for it.

To's comments dont exactly sound vicious or anything. only TO would get nitpicked for saying what he said.

jamze132
09-17-2009, 12:01 AM
I think AVP will be prepared to throw the long ball when the situation permits.

4 DBs covering 2 WRs 90% of the game is hardly the time to start chucking footballs 50 yards.

zone
09-17-2009, 07:04 AM
It was actually refreshing to watch them not try to force something that wasn't there.

They took a page right out of the Patriots book. Use the play until the defense can stop it, if they can't great; we will march the ball down the field with it.

Same way NE scored 2 TD's on the same play to win the game.

Canadian'eh!
09-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Trent to TO.... "Don't drop the ball"

Seriously... The only complaint anyone (including TO) can have about Trent last week was that they didn't get their own stats.

We moved the ball. We scored. We didn't turn it over. most of his incompletions were drops. No bad sacks, just a couple from poor protection.

Didn't try to force it into double coverage that was on TO and Lee all game.

It's about winning, not making sure TO and Lee get enough balls.

Jan Reimers
09-17-2009, 07:10 AM
The offense left the field with an 11 point lead and came back onto it down 1 lol. Yeah, I wanna see big plays to the receivers too, but the offense played well enough to win and Mclovin choked it away.
In all fairness, 7 of our 24 points came from a defensive touchdown by Schobel, so the O was not quite a powerhouse.

ddaryl
09-17-2009, 07:26 AM
I completely agree.. You have to take some shots

and TO dropped 1 pass not really enough to be calling him out on it...

Trent did well, but we have Evans and TO and that demands some shots down the field IMO,

mybills
09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
He's right. I refuse to believe that they were being totally covered by Pats' DBs the entire game.
I agree. He caught 2 out of 3 but none were deep. That's what I think he's talking about. And no, they weren't covered the entire game. They mostly covered TO, but why wouldn't he throw deep to Lee? Lee was getting down field. It was a very "safe" game, but safe isn't always a W.

don137
09-17-2009, 08:20 AM
I thought the offense did a great job moving the ball and took what the Patriots gave them. I know the offense did not score much but the penalty against Bell for illegal formation negated a first down and TO dropped a ball on third down. If it was not for a few mistakes I thought they did great. with that said I am not opposed to what TO said and stretch the field every now and then to keep the defense honest. By throwing it long it will make the saftys play back more whch could open up some slant patterns which is TOs bread and butter.

psubills62
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
In all fairness, 7 of our 24 points came from a defensive touchdown by Schobel, so the O was not quite a powerhouse.

Maybe not a powerhouse, but considering the circumstances (60% of OL with first start, rookie OC who had 10 days to prepare) and knowing that the most we've scored against the Pats during this 12 game losing streak is 17 points...I'd say scoring 17 points on offense was pretty decent. Especially when 7 came off of what should have been a clutch drive to win the game.

Canadian'eh!
09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
I agree. He caught 2 out of 3 but none were deep. That's what I think he's talking about. And no, they weren't covered the entire game. They mostly covered TO, but why wouldn't he throw deep to Lee? Lee was getting down field. It was a very "safe" game, but safe isn't always a W.

They were double covered on almost ever passing situation... if the playcall is run, then you stick with it unless there's some big reason not to.

But i saw VERY VERY VERY little Man-to-man coverage in this game. So i' don't know what you thought you saw, but you didn't.

Jan Reimers
09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Maybe not a powerhouse, but considering the circumstances (60% of OL with first start, rookie OC who had 10 days to prepare) and knowing that the most we've scored against the Pats during this 12 game losing streak is 17 points...I'd say scoring 17 points on offense was pretty decent. Especially when 7 came off of what should have been a clutch drive to win the game.
I don't disagree. Really just sayin' TO has a point.

mybills
09-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Stay mad, doesn't bother me. :up:

psubills62
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM

I agree he has a point, but I think it will only be truly valid when defenses actually stop us. On Monday night, in my opinion, our offense stopped itself rather than being stopped by the defense. Too many dropped passes, penalties, etc. If we didn't have those on Monday night, we win that game and have much better offensive stats.

I think the key will be AVP's game plan. If he can change it to incorporate longer passes when needed, then I will finally have faith in this offense. I guess my point is that until we start needing the long passes, we don't need to throw them. If screen passes get us 15 yards every time...why risk throwing an INT into coverage?

Philagape
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Because of penalties and drops

Billz_fan
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
I saw the interview and yes I would like to see some more shots down the field. What bugs me about all of this is that I thought TO was verycarefull about how he said it and it wasn't mean spirited or "calling" anybody out.

ESPN however is using this as a lead in on each Sportscenter over the last 24 hours. Making it sound like TO is already turning on the team. Quite a bit overplayed IMO.

EDS
09-17-2009, 09:34 AM

To be fair, the defense did score some of those points, so it is not as if the offense put up huge points.

SabreEleven
09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Someone on the Bills board call Trent "Trentative"...I chuckled at that...

sdbillsfan2
09-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Let's say TO and Evans were double covered all game. My question is this :

Why weren't the changes made at half time to correct the problem of double coverage ? Ie: bringing in another wideout , multiple wrs sets

To be honest, I really don't recall seeing Trent even looking down field.
This is going to be a problem for us in the future. The other teams are going to do the same thing they did last year, cut off the field and force us to run short crap. This coaching staff makes it easy for the other teams to defend us.
We brought TO to free up Lee. I didn't see that happen. now we have 2 WRs who aren't getting open? What happened to "Now we have TO , Lee will be open more often? When ? November ?

I have to wonder if by game 6 , if things remain the same , how many of us will be using those words " Pop Warner " football

Borosai
09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I saw the interview and yes I would like to see some more shots down the field. What bugs me about all of this is that I thought TO was verycarefull about how he said it and it wasn't mean spirited or "calling" anybody out.

ESPN however is using this as a lead in on each Sportscenter over the last 24 hours. Making it sound like TO is already turning on the team. Quite a bit overplayed IMO.

Exactly. He didn't call Trent out at all, yet SC is just dying for the story.

The last buffalo fan
09-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Let's say TO and Evans were double covered all game. My question is this :

Why weren't the changes made at half time to correct the problem of double coverage ? Ie: bringing in another wideout , multiple wrs sets

To be honest, I really don't recall seeing Trent even looking down field.
This is going to be a problem for us in the future. The other teams are going to do the same thing they did last year, cut off the field and force us to run short crap. This coaching staff makes it easy for the other teams to defend us.
We brought TO to free up Lee. I didn't see that happen. now we have 2 WRs who aren't getting open? What happened to "Now we have TO , Lee will be open more often? When ? November ?

I have to wonder if by game 6 , if things remain the same , how many of us will be using those words " Pop Warner " football

Simple, new and young OLine. As soon as they come together, we will see our air show.

sdbillsfan2
09-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Simple, new and young OLine. As soon as they come together, we will see our air show.

I could buy into that reasoning except that I think they played well enough to take a few shots down field. Yeah, they are young and don't have much experience as a whole. but I won't lay this at their feet. Let the friggin ball fly once in awhile.

Trent , still looks "Trentative" !

HHURRICANE
09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
couldn't agree more. To not even attempt one with Owens and Evans.. captain checkdown has got to use the guys he has.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/3182/3182

Yeah, the ball that hit TO in the hands for a 3rd down conversion I'm sure made Edwards feel good about looking for TO more.

Edwards played great. I watched the game last night again and he wasn't the problem.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2009, 01:01 PM
When Evans and TO both have key drops on 3rd down it's kind of hard to set up the deep ball.

Philagape
09-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Edwards agreed with TO later in that report.

But, checking down was working. And Trent was no more conservative than Brady.

Buffalogic
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
In all fairness, 7 of our 24 points came from a defensive touchdown by Schobel, so the O was not quite a powerhouse.Agreed, but the offense did their job, they scored when they absolutely had to. Trent drove the offense down the field and put the ball in the endzone late in the forth quarter to 'put the game out of reach'.

Enter Leodis..

justasportsfan
09-17-2009, 01:51 PM
And Trent was no more conservative than Brady.
early on but Brady eventually became agressive in the 4th and won the game.

If only Trent could consistently make the passes that Brady made to Watson, we'd be gold.

Trent played well but not well enough to step on peoples throats. Without a vertical game, we're going nowhere.

Dying_-2-_Live
09-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Couldnt agree more... The Offense was productive but it was a fairly one sided Offense. Screens to Jackson all day. Trent needs to take a few risks now and then to really establish himself as a franchise Quarterback

Tatonka
09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
I think AVP will be prepared to throw the long ball when the situation permits.

4 DBs covering 2 WRs 90% of the game is hardly the time to start chucking footballs 50 yards.

if 4 dbs were covering those 2, 90% of the game, as you say, then fred jackson should have had a hell of a lot more than 50 yards rushing.

Tatonka
09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
I completely agree.. You have to take some shots

and TO dropped 1 pass not really enough to be calling him out on it...

Trent did well, but we have Evans and TO and that demands some shots down the field IMO,

exactly.. trent and a host of other people ****ed up a lot more than TO and his one drop did.

jamze132
09-18-2009, 01:50 AM
if 4 dbs were covering those 2, 90% of the game, as you say, then fred jackson should have had a hell of a lot more than 50 yards rushing.
Not when he doesn't have that many chances. The offense was having more success through the air anyways. And let''s not forget, this isn't college. teams that are running a "spread" in the NFL, generally do not have backs with a lot of rushing yards, unless you have Marshal Faulk or Thurman Thomas.

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 08:03 AM

yes he does but some people, who hate TO, would say that he's whining and starting trouble in Buffalo.

yordad
09-18-2009, 08:17 AM
But i saw VERY VERY VERY little Man-to-man coverage in this game. So i' don't know what you thought you saw, but you didn't.If you don't know what she thought she say, how do you know she didn't see it?

Do you seriously believe there was zero opportunity to throw deep the entire game? Like the Patriots played the same exact defensive play the entire game or something?

yordad
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah, the ball that hit TO in the hands for a 3rd down conversion I'm sure made Edwards feel good about looking for TO more.

Edwards played great. I watched the game last night again and he wasn't the problem.Are you trying to say TE lost faith in one of the most dynamic and productive WRs of all time because he dropped a pass? And that is why he didn't throw long to him?

LOL, dude you crack me up.

justasportsfan
09-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Are you trying to say TE lost faith in one of the most dynamic and productive WRs of all time because he dropped a pass? And that is why he didn't throw long to him?

LOL, dude you crack me up.
MOss and Welker dropped easy passes but Brady went back to them.