PDA

View Full Version : Edwards at the end of the game

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2009, 08:14 AM
One of the things I liked him was his cool head, especially at end of the game when we need a comeback. In his short career with the Bills so far, he's been outstanding in that area.

When he throw to TO for that 20 yard gain, I was thinking that he's on par to give Lindell a shot - maybe a long shot, but at least a shot.

But not on that Monday night. I can't believe that he'd take sacks in that situation. Two, as a matter of fact.

That was very disappointing to me. I know the protection wasn't good there, what about a check down there? This is so much out of his norm.

Pinkerton Security
09-17-2009, 08:16 AM
One of the things I liked him was his cool head, especially at end of the game when we need a comeback. In his short career with the Bills so far, he's been outstanding in that area.

When he throw to TO for that 20 yard gain, I was thinking that he's on par to give Lindell a shot - maybe a long shot, but at least a shot.

But not on that Monday night. I can't believe that he'd take sacks in that situation. Two, as a matter of fact.

That was very disappointing to me. I know the protection wasn't good there, what about a check down there? This is so much out of his norm.

I think a checkdown wouldnt have been much better, but i suppose it was possible for the checkdown to get a positive gain of any sort and get out of bounds, but still there wasnt much he could do

ddaryl
09-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Those sacks we're a complete breakdown by our young LT ... he barely had time to realize it was coming and it was already there... Hard to fault him with that.

Dr. Lecter
09-17-2009, 08:19 AM
The 2nd sack was too quick.

The first one, he had time to get to the LOS. He had time to throw it over the head of receiver and out of bounds. That one was avoidable.

trapezeus
09-17-2009, 10:34 AM
i thought both sacks happened quickly. he didn't even have a chance to get out of the tackle box and throw it away.

it seemed that the routes had to be long on the last sack because they had no timeouts. So either you go to the sidelines, which werent going to be open. Or you go in the middle, but try to get in FG range on one toss. That was what the WR's were running. So when it broke down, he either had to get out of the tackle box to throw it away, or check down on a useless gain.

It was a futile situation. However, i think maybe if in that position next time, they might try that hook and lateral play earlier.

Typ0
09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
nobody wants a checkdown because the clock runs. the receivers are all downfield. TE needs to throw the ball away. The whole team was in a bad spot at that point and that's when those things happen.

Philagape
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
If there's something to fault Trent for on the drive, it's taking a TO after the Owens completion instead of spiking it.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
The whole thing ran poorly in my opinion, in that they didn't really think about step 2 and 3.

Step 1, with 50 seconds remaining, Edwards hit TO to the 40. So far so good. But you can see problem starts immediately. There is confusion as to hurry up or call a time out. They kind of want to go hurry up but then call a timeout. Bad omen!

Then the critical mistake, a sack on the next play. Here in my opinon, a 3 step drop and the ball needs to go out. NE is up one, they are not going to do prevent like they are up by 4. A heavy pass rush is expected. Side lines will be protected. So attack the middle short to make 7-8 yards (screen, checkdowns). Anything but a sack, which is on the same level as McKelvin's mistake earlier.

Lone Stranger
09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
A much overlooked fact when you're trying to analyze a loss. If the situation was reversed you can bet that Tom Brady would have gotten them to field goal position. Another point. What kind of defense were we in on the last drive. What was Ellison's responsibility? Did he jam Watson at the line? Plenty of blame to go around including McKelvin and the coaches.

trapezeus
09-17-2009, 11:51 AM
philagape and GHz make good points...this may be what the coordinators were talking about when they said AVP being up in the box was an issue. DJ was hardly the rallying point. He kinda just joined the QB conversation at the first time out.

And i was stunned they blew those time outs back to back like that. It is really perplexing that they took a timeout when they are a no huddle team. They should have spiked it after TO and that should be the play they go to with confusion but just having completed a first down.

sometimes i wonder if those microphones in the helmets actually hinder a QB's natural reaction. i have to think Trent's instinct was "spike it. get to the line and let's spike it." but if he hears another play and can't make it out and thinks about it, of course another player will call timeout because he's watching the clock disappear.

Again, that comes back to the coaches.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-17-2009, 11:51 AM
A much overlooked fact when you're trying to analyze a loss. If the situation was reversed you can bet that Tom Brady would have gotten them to field goal position. .
Brady did it in his 1st superbowl win. he hit Troy Brown and the FB repeatedly over the middle to set up the 48 yard field goal try.

This is us as fan speaking. I'm just hoping Van Pelt and especially Edwards learning from this loss and become cooler and smarter next time around.

Another point. What kind of defense were we in on the last drive. What was Ellison's responsibility? Did he jam Watson at the line? Plenty of blame to go around including McKelvin and the coaches.
Watson is going to beat most linebackers on that type of play, including Ellison - we are hoping Nelson is our version of Watson here. I think the Bills doubled on Moss and Welker, that's why you see no safety help there. The key for the Bills on that play is pass rush. They have 5 O-Line plus FB to block our 4 DL and a LB, allowing Watson to get out.

TigerJ
09-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I think it's safe to say the offense did not perform perfectly on that last drive. Trent wasn't perfect. The offensive line (Demetrius Bell) was deficient. While the offense was far better than we expected based on the preseason, it's still a work in progress and needs to get better.

yordad
09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I think he was afraid a hail mary interception would hurt his nice stats on the night.

ddaryl
09-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah Trent not spiking the ball was my 1st thought to.... but even the annoucer said that Lee Evans was WAY down field trying to get back and they had little choice

they should of called the Time Out sooner... Once again the team was unprepared to handle this situation which reflects on who ????

ddaryl
09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
I think he was afraid a hail mary interception would hurt his nice stats on the night.

on that last sack there was no time to even put his weight on the back foot let alone allow the WR's to get downfield for such a play

I know you have a hard on for trent, but I also think you refuse to give him a chance.. and IMO he was one of the better players on the field Monday

HHURRICANE
09-18-2009, 08:33 AM
We are reaching here. McKelvin lost us the game. period.

ddaryl
09-18-2009, 08:50 AM

no

I can point to 4 places we lost the game

Offensive penalties and dropped balls

Fewells Pass D

McKelvins fighting for a 1/2 yard fumble.

Dick Jauwrong

Philagape
09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
no

I can point to 4 places we lost the game

Offensive penalties and dropped balls

Fewells Pass D

McKelvins fighting for a 1/2 yard fumble.

Dick Jauwrong

I keep thinking of the early pass to Reed that was wiped out by a Bell penalty. That put them in FG range, and one more FG would have won it. What a killer.

yordad
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
on that last sack there was no time to even put his weight on the back foot let alone allow the WR's to get downfield for such a play

I know you have a hard on for trent, but I also think you refuse to give him a chance.. and IMO he was one of the better players on the field MondayIt was one of his better game, but how many catches did our WRs have again? It is same old, same old. At some point people have to look at the QB, again. 17 points isn't going to cut it. In fact, 17 points had no business even being close.

And no, I don't put it all on Trent. But, he honestly still looked like he didn't dare throw it, and it was in an instance where the team had absolutely nothing to lose if he just chucked it up.

I want him to be good. I want him to be the future. And, there has been times where he nearly had me convinced. But, dude hasn't hit a receiver more then 15 yards away for like a month now. Wait, how long was his "hail mary" to DEREK SCHOUMAN?

trapezeus
09-18-2009, 10:01 AM
you can rag on trent all you want for not going long in other games, but he threw to guys on the run, he was incredibly accurate, he tucked the ball and ran and didn't slide twice and picked up first downs.

Trent played well enough to win. I think that last drive was a disaster on all accounts. I think the guys went from a run out the clock to, "holy hell, we have to score and our OC is up in the box" mentality. That's a youthful mistake...that's a first time mistake. Hopefully they realize that they didn't arm the team properly to deal with that situation.

This bills fan obsession of just throwing 60 yard bombs at the expense of moving the team methodically down the field is becoming like an epidemic. Take what they give you.

Dr. Lecter
09-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Games are not won or lost on one play and that game was no different.

The already mentioned Reed catch that was wiped out. TOs drop. Letting Watson get open twice over the middle.

The fumble stands out, but is far from the only reason.

yordad
09-18-2009, 10:14 AM
you can rag on trent all you want for not going long in other games, but he threw to guys on the run, he was incredibly accurate, he tucked the ball and ran and didn't slide twice and picked up first downs.

Trent played well enough to win. I think that last drive was a disaster on all accounts. I think the guys went from a run out the clock to, "holy hell, we have to score and our OC is up in the box" mentality. That's a youthful mistake...that's a first time mistake. Hopefully they realize that they didn't arm the team properly to deal with that situation.

This bills fan obsession of just throwing 60 yard bombs at the expense of moving the team methodically down the field is becoming like an epidemic. Take what they give you.YEAH! They should have "methodically" moved those chains with 40 seconds left in the game!! Um... what?

And no, I cannot rag on Trent "all I want". Because I don't want to, unfortunately I am not a homer, and I see some red flags.

I said myself this was one of his better games. He did hit more receivers while they were in motion then he usually does.

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 11:08 AM
:z:

ddaryl
09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
It was one of his better game, but how many catches did our WRs have again? It is same old, same old. At some point people have to look at the QB, again. 17 points isn't going to cut it. In fact, 17 points had no business even being close.

And no, I don't put it all on Trent. But, he honestly still looked like he didn't dare throw it, and it was in an instance where the team had absolutely nothing to lose if he just chucked it up.

I want him to be good. I want him to be the future. And, there has been times where he nearly had me convinced. But, dude hasn't hit a receiver more then 15 yards away for like a month now. Wait, how long was his "hail mary" to DEREK SCHOUMAN?

but how many drive stalling drops and penalties did we have. We only ran 19 plays in the 1st half I beleive and he was very effective moving the ball much of the game. Trent deserved a B for his Monday night performance or at least a C+

Not saying Trent played error free or didn't make a mistake or 2. BUT reading your posts I think your looking real hard for a reason not to find good things in Trents game..

However I still want to see more from him to... More shots down field for one.

I also want to see our coaches actually do the smart thing and get Steve Johnson some reps in the 4th WR set over Parrish. Which I think will also help Trent, and Steve will eat up being single teamed IMO.

ddaryl
09-18-2009, 11:16 AM

I'll give you a dollar to stop posting this smiley in almost every thread.. Let us debate it

yordad
09-18-2009, 11:36 AM
but how many drive stalling drops and penalties did we have. We only ran 19 plays in the 1st half I beleive and he was very effective moving the ball much of the game. Trent deserved a B for his Monday night performance or at least a C+

Not saying Trent played error free or didn't make a mistake or 2. BUT reading your posts I think your looking real hard for a reason not to find good things in Trents game..

However I still want to see more from him to... More shots down field for one.

I also want to see our coaches actually do the smart thing and get Steve Johnson some reps in the 4th WR set over Parrish. Which I think will also help Trent, and Steve will eat up being single teamed IMO.I seen a lot of problems through out dudes career and preseason has done nothing to quench my doubts. He didn't answer any of the questions I have, and I am hearing the same old excuse for him not taking shots. Now we have TO AND Lee blanked? Yeah, ok.

There was what, 2 drops? The illegal procedure penalty can be held against Trent too. It is his job to make sure people are lined up right. I would give him a C+ by average standards, and a B by Trent's.

I am not assessing him overall by one freakin game. But even if I was, it was a very Holcomb like performance.

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 11:39 AM

yordad
09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll give you a dollar to stop posting this smiley in almost every thread.. Let us debate itHe can't. He knows nothing.

yordad
09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Oh, I would like to add the Trent looked pretty awesome on the very underrated pass that went for a TD to Nelson. Watch that play again. I really liked that one.

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM

SABURZFAN
09-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll give you a dollar to stop posting this smiley in almost every thread.. Let us debate it

anytime "snore"dad post, it puts me to sleep.

trapezeus
09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
The issue with trent is simply consistency. and since he's won some games and he's in his pivotal 3rd year, we have to give him credit when its due and blame when its needed.

I really didn't see enough to put blame on him. he was very accurate, kept the ball moving. howmany times over the last 10 years have we seen a fourth quarter up by 4 points, where we go3 and out and slowly lose the game.

Granted we still lost in the end, but we drove the field for that TD. We actually look capable in the redzone. That was the first time in a long time where i felt like, "if we get it in the redzone we might score."

I just find that yordad likes the last guy much better and doesn't want to give credit where it's due. Trent's faults in game 1 were no more exaggerated than faults with everyone in the game.

This team should have won this game. they made mistakes but they weren't deadly.

yordad
09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I just find that yordad likes the last guy much better and doesn't want to give credit where it's due. Trent's faults in game 1 were no more exaggerated than faults with everyone in the game.
Or possibly the last guy gave me the power of mind to not call someone the future just because they wear my favorite teams jersey. Oh, by the way, my favorite QB is the one behind center wearing a Bills Jersey.

bflobarry
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
YEAH! They should have "methodically" moved those chains with 40 seconds left in the game!! Um... what?

And no, I cannot rag on Trent "all I want". Because I don't want to, unfortunately I am not a homer, and I see some red flags.

I said myself this was one of his better games. He did hit more receivers while they were in motion then he usually does.
You are a Bills "fan"? Your negative drivel disgusts me. "How many catches did our WR's have"? Enough to win a road game that NOBODY gave us a chance to win. Edwards played a great game, as did a lot of Bills. Had McKelvin simply gone down on contact, Edwards and his young teammates would be the toast of the football world this week. You are obviously a "glass half empty" kind of guy. Trent is our franchise QB. Get over it.....

trapezeus
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
i'll scream about trent if he's dinking and dunking with Evans and TO getting open. from the sounds of it from the NE game, they had the lead, they moved the chains, and the drives stalled not on bad passes or needless sacks. they broke down because of penalties and drops of very catchable balls.

I'm not saying he's a god...but the guy did enough in week 1. if we truly are looknig for a solution at QB, if he plays to win every week, i have no problem with that. if that means that checking down to move the chains because defenses are taking the over the top stuff, so be it.

But i do find this interesting...the Pats elected to not have edwards beat them deep. Now if his arm is so pathetic like some posters have said, "why was that such a concern? Why wouldn't they just man up on TO and Evans and say, "he can't throw it long. We'll stuff him on the short stuff." Is it possible that the smartest man in football thinks that if trent gets open receivers down field, he'll hit them?

The patriots could have kept the box stacked if they thought edwards couldn't throw the longball. but they didn't. that should tell you something.

Tatonka
09-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Those sacks we're a complete breakdown by our young LT ... he barely had time to realize it was coming and it was already there... Hard to fault him with that.

the LAST sack was a breakdown by our LT.. the 1st sack was butlers guy.. and he rode him wide.. but then trent jumped up and the d end peeled off of butler and was on him.. he could have and should have thrown the ball there.. give your wrs a chance..

yordad
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
You are a Bills "fan"? Your negative drivel disgusts me. "How many catches did our WR's have"? Enough to win a road game that NOBODY gave us a chance to win. Edwards played a great game, as did a lot of Bills. Had McKelvin simply gone down on contact, Edwards and his young teammates would be the toast of the football world this week. You are obviously a "glass half empty" kind of guy. Trent is our franchise QB. Get over it.....Wait.... the Bills won that game?

Be a blind homer all you want. I don't care how you go about being a fan. Get off my jock.

If you want to know, I am actually fairly optimistic. I used to even be a homer!! Not anymore. I think I am being fairly objective in my assessments.

I have hope for Trent, but not faith. Learn the difference.

ddaryl
09-18-2009, 03:46 PM
the LAST sack was a breakdown by our LT.. the 1st sack was butlers guy.. and he rode him wide.. but then trent jumped up and the d end peeled off of butler and was on him.. he could have and should have thrown the ball there.. give your wrs a chance..

right on.. thanks for setting me straight on that. I couldn't remember for sure, btu I read in another post that both sacks came from the LT side

bring in Runyan

HHURRICANE
09-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Games are not won or lost on one play and that game was no different.

The already mentioned Reed catch that was wiped out. TOs drop. Letting Watson get open twice over the middle.

The fumble stands out, but is far from the only reason.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...Leodis lost us the game.