X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Edwards at the end of the game

One of the things I liked him was his cool head, especially at end of the game when we need a comeback. In his short career with the Bills so far, he's been outstanding in that area.

When he throw to TO for that 20 yard gain, I was thinking that he's on par to give Lindell a shot - maybe a long shot, but at least a shot.

But not on that Monday night. I can't believe that he'd take sacks in that situation. Two, as a matter of fact.

That was very disappointing to me. I know the protection wasn't good there, what about a check down there? This is so much out of his norm.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Edwards at the end of the game

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
    One of the things I liked him was his cool head, especially at end of the game when we need a comeback. In his short career with the Bills so far, he's been outstanding in that area.

When he throw to TO for that 20 yard gain, I was thinking that he's on par to give Lindell a shot - maybe a long shot, but at least a shot.

But not on that Monday night. I can't believe that he'd take sacks in that situation. Two, as a matter of fact.

That was very disappointing to me. I know the protection wasn't good there, what about a check down there? This is so much out of his norm.
    I think a checkdown wouldnt have been much better, but i suppose it was possible for the checkdown to get a positive gain of any sort and get out of bounds, but still there wasnt much he could do

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

Those sacks we're a complete breakdown by our young LT ... he barely had time to realize it was coming and it was already there... Hard to fault him with that.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

The 2nd sack was too quick.

The first one, he had time to get to the LOS. He had time to throw it over the head of receiver and out of bounds. That one was avoidable.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

i thought both sacks happened quickly. he didn't even have a chance to get out of the tackle box and throw it away.

it seemed that the routes had to be long on the last sack because they had no timeouts. So either you go to the sidelines, which werent going to be open. Or you go in the middle, but try to get in FG range on one toss. That was what the WR's were running. So when it broke down, he either had to get out of the tackle box to throw it away, or check down on a useless gain.

It was a futile situation. However, i think maybe if in that position next time, they might try that hook and lateral play earlier.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

nobody wants a checkdown because the clock runs. the receivers are all downfield. TE needs to throw the ball away. The whole team was in a bad spot at that point and that's when those things happen.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

If there's something to fault Trent for on the drive, it's taking a TO after the Owens completion instead of spiking it.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

The whole thing ran poorly in my opinion, in that they didn't really think about step 2 and 3.

Step 1, with 50 seconds remaining, Edwards hit TO to the 40. So far so good. But you can see problem starts immediately. There is confusion as to hurry up or call a time out. They kind of want to go hurry up but then call a timeout. Bad omen!

Then the critical mistake, a sack on the next play. Here in my opinon, a 3 step drop and the ball needs to go out. NE is up one, they are not going to do prevent like they are up by 4. A heavy pass rush is expected. Side lines will be protected. So attack the middle short to make 7-8 yards (screen, checkdowns). Anything but a sack, which is on the same level as McKelvin's mistake earlier.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                  • Sep 2002

A much overlooked fact when you're trying to analyze a loss. If the situation was reversed you can bet that Tom Brady would have gotten them to field goal position. Another point. What kind of defense were we in on the last drive. What was Ellison's responsibility? Did he jam Watson at the line? Plenty of blame to go around including McKelvin and the coaches.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

philagape and GHz make good points...this may be what the coordinators were talking about when they said AVP being up in the box was an issue. DJ was hardly the rallying point. He kinda just joined the QB conversation at the first time out.

And i was stunned they blew those time outs back to back like that. It is really perplexing that they took a timeout when they are a no huddle team. They should have spiked it after TO and that should be the play they go to with confusion but just having completed a first down.

sometimes i wonder if those microphones in the helmets actually hinder a QB's natural reaction. i have to think Trent's instinct was "spike it. get to the line and let's spike it." but if he hears another play and can't make it out and thinks about it, of course another player will call timeout because he's watching the clock disappear.

Again, that comes back to the coaches.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by fmr60
                      A much overlooked fact when you're trying to analyze a loss. If the situation was reversed you can bet that Tom Brady would have gotten them to field goal position. .
                      Brady did it in his 1st superbowl win. he hit Troy Brown and the FB repeatedly over the middle to set up the 48 yard field goal try.

This is us as fan speaking. I'm just hoping Van Pelt and especially Edwards learning from this loss and become cooler and smarter next time around.

Originally posted by fmr60
                      Another point. What kind of defense were we in on the last drive. What was Ellison's responsibility? Did he jam Watson at the line? Plenty of blame to go around including McKelvin and the coaches.
                      Watson is going to beat most linebackers on that type of play, including Ellison - we are hoping Nelson is our version of Watson here. I think the Bills doubled on Moss and Welker, that's why you see no safety help there. The key for the Bills on that play is pass rush. They have 5 O-Line plus FB to block our 4 DL and a LB, allowing Watson to get out.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I think it's safe to say the offense did not perform perfectly on that last drive. Trent wasn't perfect. The offensive line (Demetrius Bell) was deficient. While the offense was far better than we expected based on the preseason, it's still a work in progress and needs to get better.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

I think he was afraid a hail mary interception would hurt his nice stats on the night.
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• ddaryl
                            • Jan 2005

Yeah Trent not spiking the ball was my 1st thought to.... but even the annoucer said that Lee Evans was WAY down field trying to get back and they had little choice

they should of called the Time Out sooner... Once again the team was unprepared to handle this situation which reflects on who ????

Comment

• ddaryl
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                              I think he was afraid a hail mary interception would hurt his nice stats on the night.

on that last sack there was no time to even put his weight on the back foot let alone allow the WR's to get downfield for such a play

I know you have a hard on for trent, but I also think you refuse to give him a chance.. and IMO he was one of the better players on the field Monday

Comment

Working...
                              X