PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich will get max protect

psubills62
09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
per rotoworld.com

Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olsen said he'll continue to use max protections when needed to help Byron Leftwich.

Leftwich has never been very fleet of foot. The Bucs want to run the ball first and then try to move the chains with Leftwich's arm. But if they are using seven or eight men to protect, it will be hard to get anything going down the field. Despite his good game in Week 1, Leftwich isn't a very strong fantasy play.

So what would you do to try and beat this? Drop 7-8 into coverage? Blitz a couple of players and hope someone can get to him off of a one-on-one matchup?

This would also explain why Dallas didn't get a sack last game, if they were using maximum protect.

TigerJ
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
If you drop 7 or 8 into coverage versus max protect, Tampa will never even have to pass. They will crush you with the run. I assume by max protect, it means they will have no more that two receivers in the formation. They might use a fullback or two tight ends, though most of the time they would not use both on a passing play. I think you use your cover two and keep 7 or 8 in the box. If the TEs run passing routes, you cover them with linebackers.

justasportsfan
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
If you drop 7 or 8 into coverage versus max protect, Tampa will never even have to pass. They will crush you with the run. I assume by max protect, it means they will have no more that two receivers in the formation. They might use a fullback or two tight ends, though most of the time they would not use both on a passing play. I think you use your cover two and keep 7 or 8 in the box. If the TEs run passing routes, you cover them with linebackers. Ellison might get burned again.

This is where our DT have to come out big and collapse the pocket. Byron is mistake prone.

trapezeus
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
i think the WR of TB are inferior to our CB's. We should be able to let them go man to man and blitz them all day long. I think if stroud gobbles up the backup center, then blitzing right up the middle is going to be the bread and butter of not only stopping the bucs, but getting turnovers. that's something this team badly needs.

If they can get turnovers early, let the offense work underneath methodically, they win the TOP battle, they win the game. And i think that'll be a scenario that would be great if it could constantly play out week to week.

Typ0
09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
per rotoworld.com

So what would you do to try and beat this? Drop 7-8 into coverage? Blitz a couple of players and hope someone can get to him off of a one-on-one matchup?

This would also explain why Dallas didn't get a sack last game, if they were using maximum protect.

Do the opposite. Blitz constantly as a means to stop the run and make them put it up.

Beastie Bills
09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
per rotoworld.com

I would defend them just like teams defended us last year. Stack the box against their RB's and double Bryant.

TigerJ
09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Ellison might get burned again.

This is where our DT have to come out big and collapse the pocket. Byron is mistake prone.I agree that our DTs need to collapse the pocket. It's true there is a risk with LBs on TEs. Kellen Winslow, like Ben Watson is pretty athletic. Maybe the Bills will want to consider situational substituting. Nick Harris does have that safety background. Or Buffalo could take out a linebacker and put another safety in. Byron Scott has some experience playing CB, and he's a big safety who might match up pretty well with a tight end.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
They lost there starting center. I would dare them to run.

Beastie Bills
09-17-2009, 12:58 PM
They lost there starting center. I would dare them to run.

Ok, then if they're without their starting center, I might play this the way teams played us when we had Bledsoe and a terrible interior-line. Blitz up the middle all game.

mikemac2001
09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
ID holla all game long