PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to the Bucanneers

The Juice Is Loose
09-17-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.pewterreport.com/img/articleImages/2007_12_06_892_CadillacWilliamsrunningsmall.jpg

Allright. With all the arguing and stuff going on around here, I decided to turn the page and start looking forward to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers! Hopefully some of you will join me in discussing the game that will be played this Sunday. I'll be at the game going buck wild, so I'm really hoping for a strong performance from our Bills.

So when I decided to scout the Bucs a little bit thismorning, the first thing I notice is that their website is way better than ours. (Gotta be Jauron's fault, somehow) I also notice they are already advertising NEXT WEEKS game vs The Giants. Struck me as odd.

Here is a quick link to Tampa Bay's depth chart (http://tampabaybuccaneers.com/team/depthchart.aspx). I can sit here and copy and paste but that is a waste of time. A highlight of the game for us is that the Buccaneer's are a little banged up, as we are with Poz being out for 4-6 weeks. Starting Center Jeff Faine is expected to miss the game, and starting in his place will be Jonathan Compas, a rookie from California-Davis, or Sean Mahan, a guy they just cut on the 2nd. Their guards are Jeremy Zuttah, who has 13 career starts and Davin Joseph, 42 career starts.

So when I look at the Bucs interior o-line, do I view it as a weakness? A target, if you will? As my man Marcus Stroud would say; "Definately, definately." Williams looked good vs. the Pats and Stroud was also in on some plays. The Pats o-line obviously is vastly superior to Tampa Bay's. When I break down what MY strategy would be for this ballgame, I'll come back to this. It's definately a matchup I like for Buffalo.

Moving outside to the tackles, the man in charge of trying to shut down Aaron Schobel will be Donald Penn, a 6'5", 305lb LT who's started 28 games in his 4 year (plus one game) NFL career. At RT will be Jeremy Trueblood, a bigger stronger RT. A 3 year starter straight out of college.

Looking at this matchup, I feel like we have the advantage on the left side with Schobel, but with Kelsay out, may have some trouble holding up against the run on the right side. If I was in charge, keep in mind I'm not, but if I was in charge, I'd consider using Spencer Johnson at DE in place of Denney (Kelsay I'm thinking isn't going to play) on obvious running situations. Spencer had a hell of a pre season and I think he'll hold up against a big RT run blocking better than the tall, lean Denney. I also think that a guy the size of Trueblood, 6'8", 320, may have a hard time pass protecting against a guy like Aaron Maybin. This may be the game Maybin get's his first career sack and if he does, I bet he'll be coming off Trueblood's side.

Obviously, that's kind of a no-name line, but that is not the case for their skill position players. I don't have to explain to you all who Cadillac Williams is, because the last time we played Tampa he gave us fit and we lost the game. He's had two major knee surgeries, but still managed a nice game against a tough Dallas defense last week. They also have Derek Ward from the NYG and Antonio Bryant out at WR.

Two guys that I'm particularily worried about are Maurice Stovall and Kellen Winslow. With Poz out, I'm worried about our interior pass coverage. Ellison is experience, and I don't think he'll get himself out of position really. I think its just a case that I don't think he'll be able to cover Winslow. I also don't think Whitner can. If we have R. Corner on Stovall, that can be scary as Corner is still relatively green and a few mistakes can be expected. I'm worried about Kellen Winslow in this game.

Antonio Bryant has a knee injury that is still bothering him. He didn't have a super-productive game last week. He's obviously dangerous, but I feel like after running around with Randy Moss and Wes Welker all night, our corners should be more up to the task on this guy. Michael Clayton has never really accomplished anything, I feel our corners overall win the matchup on the outside. But, as I said, I worry about the slot WR and TE.

Finally, starting at QB is the well known Byron Leftwich. We remember him because the last time he was in the Ralph, he threw a TD on the final play of the game to steal a win from us. (Lawyer Milloy was terrible in pass situations) He's been around now, got on board the Pittsburgh Super Bowl run and even looked impressive the time he got some action. His big weakness has always been his long windup and immobility.

Us here in Buffalo know exactly how to give an immobile quarterback fits, as we watched teams do it to Drew Bledsoe for 3 years. Blitz, and blitz up the gut. They have an inexperienced C and G and a relatively inexperienced G. If you rush Leftwich up the gut and force him to roll out, and also take into account his sllooooow delivery, I think our quick corners can get some picks on the outside WR's.

Overall, I think it's going to be a tough outting for Tampa Bay for our home opener. I think our weakness will be interior coverage and if Tampa finds a way to exploit us there, it could make for a long afternoon of dinks and dunks to TE's and inside receivers. I'm not so familiar with Marcus Buggs, so I can't say for sure what I expect from him from a pass coverage standpoint. I really think we'll need a good game from Kawika. Not only in pass coverage but in pass rush. I expect him to be sent up the gut at Tampas backup center. I really think if we frazzle Leftwich and get pressure, it'll lead to some picks. I also worry about their run game, but not as much as I would have had A) Cadillac hadn't had so many injuries, B) We didn't do so well against the run last week. I really think Stroud, Schobel, Williams and Johnson could have big days Sunday. I'd like to see McCargo do something.

Well, that breaks down our defensive side of the game. If you guys actually enjoyed this and it leads to some good conversation, I'll post my breakdown of their defense and how I think we should attack them from an offensive standpoint. Let me know what you guys think!!!!!!!:eb:

trapezeus
09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
good analysis.

with the center down and being susceptible to up the middle blitzing, don't you think that maybe the bills should look at ellison in the middle for the blitzing role and harris on the outside for run support on outside plays?

i'm also very curious about what the bucs choose to do on D. The pats, even though their offense got better, didn't really solve the offense. The last drive was kind of an anomoly because they were running longer routes to get into FG range quickly. So the bucs would be stupid to try the same thing because i don't think they trust their offense to score 17 points.

On the flip side, i don't think they have the secondary to hang with our WRs. For that very reason i think they throw some kind of hybrid and the answer is going to be "GO FULL NELSON" I think he has a big game.

The Juice Is Loose
09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
good analysis.

with the center down and being susceptible to up the middle blitzing, don't you think that maybe the bills should look at ellison in the middle for the blitzing role and harris on the outside for run support on outside plays?

i'm also very curious about what the bucs choose to do on D. The pats, even though their offense got better, didn't really solve the offense. The last drive was kind of an anomoly because they were running longer routes to get into FG range quickly. So the bucs would be stupid to try the same thing because i don't think they trust their offense to score 17 points.

On the flip side, i don't think they have the secondary to hang with our WRs. For that very reason i think they throw some kind of hybrid and the answer is going to be "GO FULL NELSON" I think he has a big game.\

Harris is bigger, isn't he? I gotta tell ya, especially after his fumble recovery and run this past week, I have been the biggest Nic Harris cheerleader. I want the guy on the field. TBH, I was so emotionally involved in the Pats game, I couldn't force myself to try to watch Buggs while he was in for Poz. I don't know what to expect from either guy, as all I've seen is preseason and 1 game.

One thing I don't understand, is if Kawika is the bigger of the linebackers we have, why he wouldn't be on the strong side? Or is he? Because you would think you would want your bigger, stronger guy on the more likely point of attack, and your faster, more agile guy on the back side so he can make up ground better with his speed?

To answer your Nelson statement, I just signed him in fantasy this week. One thing people may have not noticed on the TD drive where he scored, after his penalty he made an amazing block to spring Fred for a nice run. I forgave him then, but then the TD and I, wow, I was impressed with the kid.

TBH, I think one thing we really need to do is get TO involved. He played great last week, threw some great blocks and obviously drew coverage away from the rest of our players. But if they are taking away our deep game we need to hit him on some screens and quick outs to get things going and draw the coverage up. Also, how many quick slants have we watched TO catch over the years? Its nearly unstoppable and I don't recall us running that once. I'd like to have AVP's phone number and text him that ha ha ha.

BillsWin
09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
31-17 Bills. id post a longer response but i am typing on my phone from the office right now. internet is down. good post juice.

The Juice Is Loose
09-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks. I think we're gonna run the ball well and throw the ball well. I see Trent looking like

68%, 275 yards, 3td 1 pick
Fred - 150 total yards. Td
TO - 6 catches 100 yards td
Lee - 4 catches 80 yards
Nelson 2 catches 30 yards td

Boomstick
09-17-2009, 03:15 PM
excellent post Juice... looking forward to reading your analysis for the other side of the ball.

bflojohn
09-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Tampa Bay rolled up 174 yards rushing on Dallas last week. The problems will arise IF we are on the wrong end of the score in the second half. I'm hoping the Bills feed off the frenzied crowd and build a sizeable lead. This is the type of team the Bills tend to struggle with, more often than not.....

Meathead
09-17-2009, 05:36 PM
warning: downer message

sad to say im not really looking forward to the actual bucs game. the parties beforehand, seeing old buds, making new ones, thats a diff story. but the game itself im like meh

i know im not the only one, i can see there are other old timers around here that dont seem to have the same interest and intensity in the team anymore. idk about them but i feel like a bucket of water has been tossed on my fire for the team

quite frankly im starting to feel like a stooge for continuing to care about these current dumbasses. im sitting on the edge of the seat, but in a bad way, as i wait for the next bonehead decision or unforced error by either a coach or a player that hurts our chances to win the game or just hands it to our opponent outright

what weve seen on the field the last three years under dick is what ive called 'loser football'. teams playing loser football look good much of the time, but they do the little (sometimes huge) things that contribute to a loss. every team makes mistakes of course, but loser teams do them much more often

consider how often the bills consistently shoot themselves in the foot the last two seasons and so far in this one. you and i both know they have been routinely sabotaging themselves. could you honestly say they arent in the bottom third of the league in stupid mistakes?

and the maddening thing is that these things dont have to happen with the frequency that they are. these coaches and systems and most of the players have been around enough that they should be drastically cutting down on the loser plays, and they arent. and so many of the mistakes are just plain dense, things they should know but they dont, as if they are still learning the game

its been going on too long and i cant see any reason why its suddenly going to stop

mnf was only one game, but how is it any different from the way the team has looked the two seasons prior? why should i be confident that theyve suddenly shaken off the loser tendencies when we have no evidence of that happening?

over thirty years of going to games and i feel just about as hopeless as i did after back to back two win seasons. this team isnt nearly as bad as those, but thats about as much confidence i have in the established culture we have in place

its actually a culture of losing now. that doesnt happen by accident or in a vacuum. there are ways to tighten up an organization to minimize the frequency of mistakes but thats not being done. and im sick of seeing it

hey, thanks for your enthusiasm. im glad somebody has it to help keep the team around here, while mine is hopefully in a temporary downturn

but right now i gotta be honest and say these guys have lost my confidence. changes gotta be made, and until they are i dont think anything other than an actual playoff berth is going to get me back to my normal level of enthusiasm. i just dont see that happening, meaning yet another postseason of sitting on my ... hands in january

im crossing my fingers getting in the stadium sunday will stir up the old spirit. hopefully a win would shake me out of it. im not counting on it

please return to your regularly scheduled and enthusiastic fandom