PDA

View Full Version : Not how the Bills lost, but why...

Pinkerton Security
09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Interesting read. Im an optimist but this article definitely rings true...we had a great gameplan all game and then panicked. We need to learn how to win the close ones!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4478620

Philagape
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I see his point, but which is the greater example of fear?

A. Return the kickoff to burn the clock because we're afraid the Pats will get the ball back; or
B. Don't return the kickoff for fear of fumbling?

I say B. If you play fundamental football, you won't fumble. You've got to be confident in that, always.

Pinkerton Security
09-17-2009, 01:22 PM

A. Return the kickoff to burn the clock because we're afraid the Pats will get the ball back; or

I say B. If you play fundamental football, you won't fumble. You've got to be confident in that, always.

Very true

yordad
09-17-2009, 02:23 PM

I say B. If you play fundamental football, you won't fumble. You've got to be confident in that, always.This thread already exist. And, you stole my point. :(

Pinkerton Security
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
This thread already exist. And, you stole my point. :(

woops! sorry i looked through the first page and didnt see it

ParanoidAndroid
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Took the words right out of my keyboard, Phil.

To the author: It's easy to strategize when you have seen the scenario play out.

Mudflap1
09-17-2009, 04:09 PM
You guys all miss the point completely. The Bills were lined up for an onsides kick with their hands team. The coaches (Bobby April) need to tell the returner that if the Patriots kick deep, the hands team is on the field, and they are lined up around the opposing 40 and therefore not in position to block for the returner, so down the ball in the end zone if you can. If you can't, take it out as far as you can without taking hits and go out of bounds or go down to the ground. The player needs to know that there is no one blocking for him because the undersized hands team is lined up around the opposing 40 yard line and looking for the ball around there, so he needs to not be a hero and protect the ball at all costs. Otherwise, he is going to be sustaining hits from tacklers running full speed downfield unblocked.

It's simple football. And the Bills blew it from top to bottom. There is no excuse for that play. To all of the Bills/McKelvin homers that see no wrong in the play -- do you really think it makes sense to tell your returner to run the ball out of the end zone full speed with the game on the line into 11 tacklers who are unblocked because the hands team is lined up way down the field and out of position? Not to mention, McKelvin fumbled on the previous return.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
This article sums up exactly how I feel about this whole situation. maybe i am being ridiculous and overstating this, but i truly believe that if the Bills pulled this game off, their ridiculous culture of losing might have been shot to hell. This is the game that could have, and would have turned the franchise around had they held on to the win, not just for last week, or this season, but maybe for a few years.

Jeff1220
09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
How true it is...I'm so depressed. :(

ddaryl
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
"I have no problem with Leodis coming out with that ball," Jauron said. "He's a dynamic runner. He was trying to win a football game or ice a football game, and we've seen him do it. He almost did it there. From the sideline, it looked like he was making an effort to cover the ball and have it covered with his hands, and somehow it came out of there. It's one of those things that happens, but I have no problem with Leodis. He plays the game hard, and he's a guy that can take it the distance."

really why not just collapse to the ground at this point. The fact that Jauwrong doesn't say the obvious just makes me hate the guy that much more. No reason to stay upright here, and what about the fumble earlier where we recover. Exact same thing but that time we got lucky. I get the feeling that Jauwrong hasn't told Leodis that fighting for that 1/2 yard isn't necessary on kick off returns, and it isn't.

and here they say it too...

Jauron should have ordered his returners to down the ball in the end zone. Or, in the event that Stephen Gostkowski (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9704)'s kickoff fell short of the goal line, to get past the 20-yard line and fall to the ground.

here is the winning quote from that article

Had the Bills relaxed and understood the psychology of winning football, they would have realized the superiority of their position and been coached accordingly:

Coming out of the endzone isn't even the deabte.. it was foolishly fighting a winless battle of trying to gain a lousy 1/2 yard...

The moral of this story is you just can't right a Jauwrong

HHURRICANE
09-17-2009, 08:42 PM
You guys all miss the point completely. The Bills were lined up for an onsides kick with their hands team. The coaches (Bobby April) need to tell the returner that if the Patriots kick deep, the hands team is on the field, and they are lined up around the opposing 40 and therefore not in position to block for the returner, so down the ball in the end zone if you can. If you can't, take it out as far as you can without taking hits and go out of bounds or go down to the ground. The player needs to know that there is no one blocking for him because the undersized hands team is lined up around the opposing 40 yard line and looking for the ball around there, so he needs to not be a hero and protect the ball at all costs. Otherwise, he is going to be sustaining hits from tacklers running full speed downfield unblocked.

It's simple football. And the Bills blew it from top to bottom. There is no excuse for that play. To all of the Bills/McKelvin homers that see no wrong in the play -- do you really think it makes sense to tell your returner to run the ball out of the end zone full speed with the game on the line into 11 tacklers who are unblocked because the hands team is lined up way down the field and out of position? Not to mention, McKelvin fumbled on the previous return.

We have a winner!!!!!!! Wow, awesome post.

Our genius special teams coach, not coaching. What a shocker. Just like Dallas.

Pinkerton Security
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
You guys all miss the point completely.

most of us know everything you said, sooo why are we missing the point so badly?