• Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Van Pelt agrees with T.O.!!!

Van Pelt pleased with first go round
    By Chris Brown - Posted September 17th, 2009

Bills offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt spoke for the first time since calling the Monday night opener in Foxborough on Thursday following practice and shared some of his thoughts on how things went.

“I thought we had a good plan going in,” he said. “I thought we had a good idea of what we wanted to get done and the things we wanted to have in the plan. I felt we had a good rhythm and a good feel for what we’re trying to get done offensively. There were some bumps in the road for me as first time guy calling it. As you get down into some of the specialty areas of the game plan, but I thought we knew as a staff what we wanted to get done. I thought we had a good rhythm early.”

With respect to making better use of the downfield passing game Van Pelt believes they can utilize it more.

“Absolutely. I think any time you have an offense like that you have to play to its strengths no matter what it is, and those are two of our strengths,” said Van Pelt in reference to Evans and Owens. “But you really can’t manufacture plays. If it’s not for the good of the offense and going in historically coach Belichick does a good job of taking away your weapons and makes you beat him in other places. That was kind of the approach going in. Obviously with those two guys we’d like to stretch the field at times.”

When asked if there were some missed chances to go deep in the New England game Van Pelt offered the following.

I think there were some opportunities that we didn’t see and they did a great job,” said Van Pelt in reference to the Patriots. “That’s a well-coached defense. Some of the disguises and coverages were some that showed like there would not be an available shot downfield and then it ends up that we did (have a shot). So there were some opportunities that we had where we could throw downfield. For the most part Trent did a good job of managing the game, keeping us in good situations and making good checks at the line of scrimmage. Terrell (Owens) is right there were some opportunities, but for the most part Trent did a great job.

So it sounds as if the Pats defense did a good job of disguising some of their coverages in an effort to make Edwards think they had the deep parts of the field accounted for. In reviewing the game on film the players and coaches now see that was not the case. Hopefully it help makes for better recognition as to what New England is trying to pull defensively the next time they face them.

For what Van Pelt was up against in terms of competition and the time he had to slide into the coordinator’s seat it’s hard not to be impressed with the job he did. I’m looking forward to see what he has in mind for the Bucs on Sunday.

Link
    Last edited by T-Long; 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Van Pelt agrees with T.O.!!!

plain and simple you need to take your shots down field..

Hopefully AVP can better prep Trent to know when to heave em, and know when dink them.
    Last edited by ddaryl; 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Akhippo
      • Nov 2002

If all teams have to do now is "pretend" to cover the deep ball but in actuallity play the shorter stuff, we are screwed. All Trent needs to do is perceive that the deep ball isnt open and hes looking off. Man Belicheck IS better than I thought.
      Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• T-Long
        Circling the Wagons since 1982.
        • Sep 2003

wow only 2 comments on this thread?

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

1st play of the game, 73 yard TD bomb from Trent to Owens.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

TE to TO = Brilliant.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Talk about irrelevant. If people think the lack of a deep ball cost us this game than they should rewatch it. I did yesterday and walked away thinking Trent was the best player on the field that night.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                Talk about irrelevant. If people think the lack of a deep ball cost us this game than they should rewatch it. I did yesterday and walked away thinking Trent was the best player on the field that night.
                I don't think it cost us the game, but I really think Trent needs to see the long ball more often and let TO and Evans earn those huge contracts.

I do believe if we take a chance and hook on one it puts the Pats on their heals more too

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  I don't think it cost us the game, but I really think Trent needs to see the long ball more often and let TO and Evans earn those huge contracts.

I do believe if we take a chance and hook on one it puts the Pats on their heals more too
                  I feel like we are splitting hairs here. Trent played great just not super , duper, great.

The guy scored 2 TDs and 114 passer rating with two easy drops from Evans and Owens to boot.

Sorry if I don't feel like over analyzing his play but rewatch the game and pick the exact times (what time was on the score clock) where he should have gone long.

Comment

• Hemlepp53
                    • Jul 2004

I like the way AVP spoke. He sounds liek he understands the Offense and the weapons we have. He speaks well to the public and doesnt dance around. I like the straight to the point and no BS in regards to going deep.
                    @Hemlepp53

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ddaryl
                      plain and simple you need to take your shots down field..

Hopefully AVP can better prep Trent to know when to heave em, and know when dink them.
                      He's got to know when to heave em,
                      Know when to dink em,
                      Know when to run the ball,
                      know when to slid....
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Besides, what is everyone going to say.... TO was covered like a blanket on every single play? Of course there was chances.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Turf
                            • Jul 2002

Sounds like we actually have an offensive coordinator. Bravo. Ralph found some someone smart on the cheap. Always liked AVP. He will be a hot commodity one day.
                            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• YoungEz
                              • Sep 2008

As soon as the O-Line can actually pass block with out holding maybe we can take shots down field.

If we did a 7 step drop Trent would get hit before the 5th

Comment

Working...
                              X